So 3GS or Wait?!?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Skydivincoastie, Dec 16, 2009.

  1. Skydivincoastie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    #1
    On the 18th, It will be my time to be eligible for upgrade...I am so lost on what to do...I do know if I upgrade to the 3GS, I may kick myself in the ass in June when a new iphone comes out...What do you guys think??
     
  2. -aggie- macrumors P6

    -aggie-

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    Location:
    Where bunnies are welcome.
    #2
    To prevent the kicking you describe, I would wait until June/July. However, it's really your decision. If you have to have it now....
     
  3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #3
    If you've got a working iPhone why replace it now? You know a new one is coming and the hype that will accompany the new model will make you want it. :)
     
  4. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    Washington DC
    #4
    If you don't have an iPhone at all this is a tough choice at this point in time.

    But it sounds like you do. So wait. No question.
     
  5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #5
    If what you have works fine for what you need it to do, you would be an idiot to upgrade knowing the typical refesh cycle on iPhones. If you need it now, upgrade and don't second guess yourself...there wils ALWAYS be something better around the corner.

    This advice applies to ANY technology purchase.
     
  6. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    I would wait till about April/ May time, hopefully the rumour mill will be in full spin and you will have a better idea on what to do.
     
  7. ineedamac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Location:
    Ohio
    #7

    I agree 100%. You should just wait it is not like the 3G is a crappy phone.
     
  8. renewed macrumors 68040

    renewed

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2009
    Location:
    Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
    #8
    I started to get a little bored with my 3G and thought about getting a 3GS. I then ended up jailbreaking it and it is like a brand new phone.

    I figure if you are up for jailbreaking, it could hold you over from now until June.
     
  9. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #9
    It is almost definite Apple will release a new iPhone in the summer. They've done that since the first gen iPhone's release.

    Rumours of what capabilities the new iPhone will have are scarce. Though a 64GB model along with more RAM and a faster CPU will before for sure.
     
  10. Dragomer macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    #10
    I have had a 2g on t-mobile for a while and got sick of their coverage so I ordered my 3gs last night. Att coverage is excellent where I live and they just turned on 3G. I'm not to worried about the newest one that is coming since I'm upgrading from an original iphone and ipod touch. The jump from the original to a third generation, plus 3G speeds will keep me occupied for a long time :)

    If worst comes to worst and you just "have" to have the new one just cancel the contract. $5 is subtracted from the ETF each month you pay so in 6-7 months the ETF would only be around $130. Pay $130 to cancel the contract and than $199/299 to get the new phone with a new contract. So taxes and all would run you about $400. You could sell your "old" 3gs before hand and actually make money as alot of users have. There is always a price to pay to stay cutting edge :D
     
  11. moloukhya macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #11
    It would be much less of a hassle to pay the $399/$499 early upgrade pricing for about the same out of pocket. (Assuming the 4G follows the same policy as the 3GS)
     
  12. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #12
    For sure, eh?:rolleyes:


    I wish there was a thread that would keep track of all the "Buy now or wait?" threads. It could be categorized by product, and there could be tables and pie charts and graphs and ratios and everything. That would be awesome.


    OP, if you want it, buy it. If you can wait, wait. If you decide to kick yourself in the ass in June, kick yourself in the ass.
     
  13. renewed macrumors 68040

    renewed

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2009
    Location:
    Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
    #13
    Or you can just say, "Shucks!", and save yourself the bruise.
     
  14. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2008
    #14
    or break your legs, then you can't kick your self.
     
  15. thelatinist macrumors 603

    thelatinist

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2009
    Location:
    Connecticut, USA
    #15
    Since when is it certain that there will be a CPU or RAM upgrade? They just doubled the RAM, added a new graphics processor, and significantly bumped up the processor speed after two years with no changes. I would be very surprised if they made any changes to the CPU, GPU or RAM this summer.
     
  16. JamonBull macrumors regular

    JamonBull

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2009
    Location:
    Australia
    #16
    ok so I'm basically in the same boat as thread starter. I've got a 3G. My contract is running out very very shortly. Was thinking about re-contracting with a 3GS, but have decided against it. The reason is simple. The 3GS simply does not offer enough advantages over a working 3G to make me want to lock myself in for another two years. Especially when there will probably be multiple iPhone upgrades in that time. It's almost a no brainer! Is video recording and slightly better speed worth two years of upgradability?! Noooooo way! Plus 3GS is old news now anyway. Compare these two...

    1) Upgrading to 3GS now and being like "oh cool I can take videos...ok bored now..."

    or

    2) Waiting a few months and being in absolute geek heaven cause you have the very latest iPhone which will probably be able to store 64gb worth of your stuff PLUS take videos etc...
     
  17. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

    lionheartednyhc

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2009
    #17
    You know will suck, if you wait til the new phone comes out. Because then you will kick yourself for not waiting for the 5G instead.
     
  18. ineedhelpp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2009
    #18
    3gs

    hey guys..do you think its worth it buying th iPhone 3GS? im stil confused if i should or not..please helpp..thanks
     
  19. eawmp1 macrumors 601

    eawmp1

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    FL
    #19
    Do you read?
    Can you search?
    Do your research...all the information you need can be found on this forum. But, only YOU can decide if the time is right for YOU.
     
  20. kolax macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2007
    #20
    There is a 1GHz ARM chip that could be used in the iPhone. As for RAM, they probably won't, but would be nice.
     
  21. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2008
    #21
    Seriously, how many of these identical threads do we need?
     
  22. Skydivincoastie thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2008
    #22
    As many as its needed to get a point across lol :rolleyes:
     
  23. jjamesv macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2007
    #23
    If we're being honest here it might be worth it to wait and see what Android had to offer as well. There might be a phone running 2.1 that's as good as anything.
     
  24. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

    APPLEFAN8

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    NJ/GA/FL
    #24
    I'm waiting til June. I think Apple will provide an even better Iphone because of what the droid and some other phones are offering.
     
  25. Cask Guest

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    #25
    Well, Like I have said before on identical threads:
    Buy 3GS now, sell 3GS in June, that money should get you a 2010 iPhone for free, repeat in 2011, 2012 and so on, I have been doing that since Gen 1
     

Share This Page