Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skydivincoastie

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
On the 18th, It will be my time to be eligible for upgrade...I am so lost on what to do...I do know if I upgrade to the 3GS, I may kick myself in the ass in June when a new iphone comes out...What do you guys think??

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you've got a working iPhone why replace it now? You know a new one is coming and the hype that will accompany the new model will make you want it. :)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If what you have works fine for what you need it to do, you would be an idiot to upgrade knowing the typical refesh cycle on iPhones. If you need it now, upgrade and don't second guess yourself...there wils ALWAYS be something better around the corner.

This advice applies to ANY technology purchase.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I would wait till about April/ May time, hopefully the rumour mill will be in full spin and you will have a better idea on what to do.

ineedamac

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
If you've got a working iPhone why replace it now? You know a new one is coming and the hype that will accompany the new model will make you want it. :)

I agree 100%. You should just wait it is not like the 3G is a crappy phone.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I started to get a little bored with my 3G and thought about getting a 3GS. I then ended up jailbreaking it and it is like a brand new phone.

I figure if you are up for jailbreaking, it could hold you over from now until June.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
It is almost definite Apple will release a new iPhone in the summer. They've done that since the first gen iPhone's release.

Rumours of what capabilities the new iPhone will have are scarce. Though a 64GB model along with more RAM and a faster CPU will before for sure.

Dragomer

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
I have had a 2g on t-mobile for a while and got sick of their coverage so I ordered my 3gs last night. Att coverage is excellent where I live and they just turned on 3G. I'm not to worried about the newest one that is coming since I'm upgrading from an original iphone and ipod touch. The jump from the original to a third generation, plus 3G speeds will keep me occupied for a long time :)

If worst comes to worst and you just "have" to have the new one just cancel the contract. $5 is subtracted from the ETF each month you pay so in 6-7 months the ETF would only be around $130. Pay $130 to cancel the contract and than $199/299 to get the new phone with a new contract. So taxes and all would run you about $400. You could sell your "old" 3gs before hand and actually make money as alot of users have. There is always a price to pay to stay cutting edge :D

moloukhya

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
I have had a 2g on t-mobile for a while and got sick of their coverage so I ordered my 3gs last night. Att coverage is excellent where I live and they just turned on 3G. I'm not to worried about the newest one that is coming since I'm upgrading from an original iphone and ipod touch. The jump from the original to a third generation, plus 3G speeds will keep me occupied for a long time :)

If worst comes to worst and you just "have" to have the new one just cancel the contract. $5 is subtracted from the ETF each month you pay so in 6-7 months the ETF would only be around $130. Pay $130 to cancel the contract and than $199/299 to get the new phone with a new contract. So taxes and all would run you about $400. You could sell your "old" 3gs before hand and actually make money as alot of users have. There is always a price to pay to stay cutting edge :D

It would be much less of a hassle to pay the $399/$499 early upgrade pricing for about the same out of pocket. (Assuming the 4G follows the same policy as the 3GS)

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It is almost definite Apple will release a new iPhone in the summer. They've done that since the first gen iPhone's release.

Rumours of what capabilities the new iPhone will have are scarce. Though a 64GB model along with more RAM and a faster CPU will before for sure.

For sure, eh?:rolleyes:

I wish there was a thread that would keep track of all the "Buy now or wait?" threads. It could be categorized by product, and there could be tables and pie charts and graphs and ratios and everything. That would be awesome.

OP, if you want it, buy it. If you can wait, wait. If you decide to kick yourself in the ass in June, kick yourself in the ass.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Though a 64GB model along with more RAM and a faster CPU will before for sure.

Since when is it certain that there will be a CPU or RAM upgrade? They just doubled the RAM, added a new graphics processor, and significantly bumped up the processor speed after two years with no changes. I would be very surprised if they made any changes to the CPU, GPU or RAM this summer.

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
ok so I'm basically in the same boat as thread starter. I've got a 3G. My contract is running out very very shortly. Was thinking about re-contracting with a 3GS, but have decided against it. The reason is simple. The 3GS simply does not offer enough advantages over a working 3G to make me want to lock myself in for another two years. Especially when there will probably be multiple iPhone upgrades in that time. It's almost a no brainer! Is video recording and slightly better speed worth two years of upgradability?! Noooooo way! Plus 3GS is old news now anyway. Compare these two...

1) Upgrading to 3GS now and being like "oh cool I can take videos...ok bored now..."

or

2) Waiting a few months and being in absolute geek heaven cause you have the very latest iPhone which will probably be able to store 64gb worth of your stuff PLUS take videos etc...

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
You know will suck, if you wait til the new phone comes out. Because then you will kick yourself for not waiting for the 5G instead.

ineedhelpp

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
3gs

hey guys..do you think its worth it buying th iPhone 3GS? im stil confused if i should or not..please helpp..thanks

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
hey guys..do you think its worth it buying th iPhone 3GS? im stil confused if i should or not..please helpp..thanks

Do you read?
Can you search?
Do your research...all the information you need can be found on this forum. But, only YOU can decide if the time is right for YOU.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Since when is it certain that there will be a CPU or RAM upgrade? They just doubled the RAM, added a new graphics processor, and significantly bumped up the processor speed after two years with no changes. I would be very surprised if they made any changes to the CPU, GPU or RAM this summer.

There is a 1GHz ARM chip that could be used in the iPhone. As for RAM, they probably won't, but would be nice.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Do you read?
Can you search?
Do your research...all the information you need can be found on this forum. But, only YOU can decide if the time is right for YOU.

Seriously, how many of these identical threads do we need?

jjamesv

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
If we're being honest here it might be worth it to wait and see what Android had to offer as well. There might be a phone running 2.1 that's as good as anything.

APPLEFAN8

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
NJ/GA/FL
I'm waiting til June. I think Apple will provide an even better Iphone because of what the droid and some other phones are offering.

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
Well, Like I have said before on identical threads:
Buy 3GS now, sell 3GS in June, that money should get you a 2010 iPhone for free, repeat in 2011, 2012 and so on, I have been doing that since Gen 1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.