So, 4:3...?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mrgreen4242, Jan 28, 2010.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

The iPad screen is 1024x768 which is a standard 4:3 display size. The pics make it look wider than that, but certainly not widescreen. Is it a 4:3 square pixel display or is it the same 3:2 screen size of the iPhone with non-square pixels?

The math on the overall physical size works out to like 5:4 (even more square than 4:3) but it doesn't LOOK that square and the bezel looks equally wide all around - I think it looks about like the 3:2 iPhone display, but I can't tell just by looking at.

2. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

EDIT: Ah, I finally noticed that it runs full screen iPod apps in a letterbox mode, so it's obviously not 3:2/nonsquare pixels. Just a standard XGA 4:3 display. Not a bad thing, but not idea either. The 3:2 was just such a nice middle ground between widescreen video and a sheet of paper.

That's an interesting thread, but I was mostly asking whether the device is indeed a 4:3 size. It's hard for me to tell in the photos, and there are three "hints" that lead me to different conclusions.

1) 1024x768 is a 4:3 monitor/square pixel display
    2) the physical device is measured to be around 5:4
    3) it runs iPhone apps full screen, which is a 3:2 device (it's perfectly possible to have non-square pixel displays)

Just trying to figure out what it is.