So a homeless guy just approaches me.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lockett, Sep 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lockett macrumors member

I was jut in my way to university in Manchester (UK), and this homeless guy approached me and asked me if this was the iPhone 6 plus I was holding, apprehensively I admitted that it was. He then goes on to ask if it's bent yet or if I had experienced the any problems with the software update. I was obviously quite surprised, I just thought it highlighted how out of hand it has become. The media have sensationalised this none issue about bending way too much. It's getting stupid.

Has anyone else been approached yet due to having a 6 plus?
    This was my second time someone has come up to me!

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Tim Cook approached me two days ago but left disappointed that I still have a 5S.

Wonder how he gets his news? Probably old newspapers if he doesn't have a phone himself. Couple hundred bucks and free wifi and a homeless person can still browse the web.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why is it out of hand, that someone is aware of current events. I'd say its immaterial that the man was homeless. That doesn't necessary negate that he wishes to remain up to date on today's news stories.

4. lithonius, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2014

lithonius macrumors member

just because someone is homeless, doesn't mean they are out of touch with reality or what's going on in the world. a lot of people are just one paycheck away from being homeless. the homeless guy probably looked at you like a fool for spending $800 on a phone. :apple:

5. Anastasio macrumors newbie

Saw a guy in Denver today panhandling this afternoon with a sign that said,"Need $$ to replace bent iPhone"

Also, you shouldn't label people as homeless. They could have a home, or decide to not have an established residence. What made you say he was homeless, and why were you afraid to answer his question if he was or wasn't homeless?

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I would imagine the implication is that in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, tech news most likely doesn't top the list.

I would hope the implication of the OP isn't that "homeless" shouldn't know about iPhone news, but the number of aggressive responses to the OP here is disappointing.

I would imagine, and this is nothing short of pure speculation, that the point of the OP was, given this man's apparent (albeit unfortunate) state in life, and the overall importance of iPhone news, especially compared to other events in the world (E.g. Ukraine, Syria, etc.), it's surprising that this man was so up to date on the latest.

I believe the purpose of the OP was an indictment against the media, not the man himself.

[/.02]

7. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

You say 'I' a lot. It's telling.

8. cynics macrumors G4

A phones resistance to bending is a big issue in the vagrant community. Sleeping under bridges and falling down all the time isn't easy on a phone.

This thread is funny though. OP are you asking for a media blackout? Lol

9. BvizioN, Sep 26, 2014

BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I bought the iPhone 6 yesterday and today at work a co-worker who is really not into gadget and has never owned a mobile phone in his life (yes, hard to believe) asked if the phone is bendable! Guess where did he read it? Daily Mail!
    Another guy at work who also is not into gadgets and stuff asked if I have updated this phone with the latest OS! He said that he heard on the radio that the latest operating system of Apple's iPhone is full of viruses and causes the phone to loose all photos/videos/network connections etc.

But people won't stop there. Here is another joke...

http://dailybuzzlive.com/iphone-6-p...s-21200-confirmed-cases-since-friday-release/

Problem though is... people believe this ****.

10. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

The level of intended humour here is getting worse and worse everyday.

11. BvizioN, Sep 26, 2014

BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

That's fine, I would rather spend $800 of the money I have earned with my hard work on things that I want (without giving a **** what others think) then stay on the streets begging for money. And please don't tell me they have no options.....where I leave they do. But then this would be a different subject so better not get into it.

12. TJ82 macrumors 6502a

TJ82

Just a hunch, but I don't think that this is the choice homeless people are facing here.

13. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I think they prefer to be called 'Urban Outdoorsmen'

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Hah. Many thanks, Sigmund. What's your hourly rate?

Would you prefer or suggest an alternate pronoun whilst you wrote from the first person perspective?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    I don't see this discussion getting any better, so at this point its probably best to close it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.