So a mere 2 months after buying my first ever mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bigjnyc, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

i have picked up my second one :D I bought a 2.4 penryn blackbook at the end of april it was my first mac after being a PC user all my life (i had owned ipods and iphone) I loved it so much that yesterday i purchased a 24" iMac to go with it and keep it company.

i was torn between the 3.06ghz and the 2.8ghz i ruled out the hard drive difference because 320gb is fine for me plus i have a 500gb time capsule to store things on. So it came down to the video card, I dont play games at all on the computer, I have a PS3 and rarely ever play that. so i decided that the 2.8ghz was sufficient for me and what i'll be doing, I ordered 4gb ram from crucial.

since buying my first mac i've become quite the apple addict.. wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, airport extreme then upgraded to time capsule, .mac, applecare, dvi to vga adapter, firewire cable and a few other things im forgetting.

here is a pic setting up the migration assistant to copy all my files over, worked seamlessly and wonderfully. (taken with iphone sorry for the bad quality)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS: so far my imac is perfect no dead pixels, no bleeding (knock on wood) my only little complaint is that it takes longer to connect to airport coming out of sleep than my macbook does.

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Glad you're happy with your purchases. It's nice to see some satisfaction on the forums -- most people don't report good experiences, so MR ends up having a disproportionate number of complaint threads.

Enjoy your Macs!

3. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yeah i've noticed nothing but complaints about imacs the last few days, so i thought i would post something positive.

4. hipvamore macrumors regular

5. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

yeah i got it at stamford, ct and got the instant rebate on an ipod touch and a printer.

6. hipvamore macrumors regular

word bro! enjoy it. i live i ct and its still a 45 minute drive to the nearest one ha!

7. Alan Taylor macrumors 6502

Alan Taylor

Congrats! They sure started making money off you quick huh? :D

8. sargent bannana macrumors member

I bow down to you sir (not really)
    but this is the thread i have been looking for on MR.
    See the thing is i am a PC user and I just know my way around PC and windows i build PC's fix them etc..

Though recently i have been haveing this urge to switch to mac. Thoug i dont know if i will adapt to mac like i did to PC its Just that i am too stuck too PC.

After seeing how satisfied you are all i got to say is WOW this convinced me so much.

So what got you to The "light side" Is Leopard as easy as every one says? How much better than windoze *****ta (vista) I had to downgrade to XP

Please answer Because i am on the verge of converting (apple should be a religion seriously)

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Easier to switch to OSX than Vista.

There are lots of threads on this. More and more people are switching due to OS X being a better OS.

For example, An Apple wireless keyboard will work even with windows install disk without needing drivers. Also, it's actually easier to run multiple OS on a Mac than a PC.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Nice to have a post about someone being happy makes a welcome break

11. Sonicjay macrumors 6502a

Sonicjay

lol, see my sig; this is all within the last 18 months, and doesn't include Final Cut Studio, my 23" ACD, and my previous iPods! Similar story with me though; I bought a black Macbook, and immediately fell in love and bought a Mac Pro about 2 weeks later. I recently added the MBP, and love it as well.

12. lisamel macrumors regular

lisamel

That is great!! :) You're just like me. I bought my first iMac in march after being very happy with my ipod and iPhone :)
    Now I have a white macbook as well, as my windows laptop got stolen (lucky lol)

Im very excited about MobileMe as well :D Not long now

13. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

It all started with the iphone, i gave into the hype and bought one last year, i loved the interface and the ease of use so much that i started spending countless hours online reading about macs and researching OSX, to the point where when i turned on my macbook i already knew mostly everything i had to do. i just love how everything works so seamlessly from installing programs to setting up a wireless network, connecting a digital camera, external hard drive.

sure there are a few subtle differences that will take you time to get used to coming from windows but its certainly not anything difficult especially since it sounds like youre knowledgable on computers.

most of all i hated having to run spyware programs because my registry was so bloated that it was slowing my system down, and having to reinstall windows over again because my system was running super slow. or having to run anti-virus to weed out a pesky little trojan virus.

finally the hardware is just so beautiful and neat, once i finished running migration assistant i disconnected the wired keyboard and set up wireless keyboard and mouse and man my desk looks so nice and neat there is just the one power cord running from the imac whereas before i had a tangle of wires with my PC setup.

JUST DO IT!!!! i honestly have not read or heard anyone say that they made the switch and arent happy and are going back to windows.

14. bigjnyc thread starter macrumors 601

bigjnyc

lol and i thought i was bad:eek: i bought final cut express as well, i'm just an amateur so the full studio was too much for me. I am looking into getting the macbook pro as well, just waiting for revisions. but if i get it i will probably be handing the macbook over to my girlfriend.