So, a new iPhone in September then ;)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by northernbaldy, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

All these GPS companies profits are going to go down the toilet once iOS 6 comes out with Apple maps navigation.

It's like watching the printed encyclopedia business get erased by Wikipedia...

2. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

Haha i love the way they put it in that screenshot - confirming the new iphone but still putting 'rumoured', like they would put the effort into creating an update for a device that wasn't definitely coming out.

3. Dennis187 macrumors regular

Dennis187

You think? Last time I tried the beta Apple maps app I've yet to see it compare to one that the GPS companies put out, unless they changed it majorly since the beta I tried!

4. JesalTV Guest

Depends. In principal, agree.

But if the Apple Maps navigation uses way too much data allowance compared to other lighter apps, then people with data allowances will think twice.

5. daveishere macrumors 6502a

daveishere

I agree with this, I very much doubt Apple's maps offering will offer anywhere near the kind of sophistication that a verteran GPS companies app would offer.

6. MyNameIsDave macrumors member

How did that screen shot get past App Store quality control?
    ;)

7. yaymath macrumors regular

My guess is that the people in charge of reviewing apps are unaware of the new iPhone. Hence doubling down on secrecy.

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

they do throw in the word "rumoured"

9. MyNameIsDave macrumors member

Even still, I'm surprised any mention of a potential new iPhone got through.

10. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Not really. I like my Navigon because maps are stored on the device and it doesn't use data. And sometimes, when you're in the middle of no-where, you have no data. Or especially, if I'm driving around and not in the same country. Canada is a great example where I used the Navigon app because I wasn't going to pay for roaming.

11. troop231, Aug 31, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012

troop231 macrumors 603

That's not an app screenshot, that's the metadata contained for the new version. Developers can change this whenever they please, especially after the new update is approved. Developers can also change screenshots whenever they please. :)

12. allonym macrumors regular

I doubt the hit will be too bad until Apple has off-line maps and adds some of the other higher end features of TomTom/Garmin/Navigon (decent speed camera databases, equivalent of TomTom IQ routes etc).

Apple are using TomTom maps so presumably TomTom are in control and don't have to licence the maps for download onto the device if they don't feel that it's in their best interests. Of course, money always talks and Apple famously has $100+ bn in the bank so TomTom could probably be persuaded (one way or another).