So A Story Of Apple Interviewing...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickspohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I need a job. What is better than working around Apple products all day and especially people? I love talking. I love socializing. It would be the perfect job for me...

I filled out an application online back in July. I was contacted via email to go to a seminar in downtown Chicago at the Michigan Ave store. I thought for sure this will be the start of something good. It was about a 45 minute drive to the store, and i got there a little early so i messed around. When it was time, i was the first one to be at the meeting. I knew it wasn't going to be a 1 on 1, and rather a group thing. They took me up this elevator to this board room floor basically, and it was very nice. I met the 2 people doing the seminar, and i was first in so that was a good plus. They went in the back room, and people started coming. Basically i had to tell everyone what to do (grab all the papers, get a name tag, find a seat).

For about an 1 hour and 1/2 we talked about the company. I learned quite a bit. There was someone sitting next to me who was a complete dbag blocking my whole view of the screen and the 2 interviewers talking. At the end, they made us get in groups and had 10 minutes to present something about Apple. I had probably the best group, (me and 2 others) and we did really good. Overall, i thought it went well. I'm still in high school (senior) and i asked if my age would be a problem, and they said of course not.

I applied again online after not hearing anything from them for a week. They told us though we could hear back tomorrow or in 6 weeks even. I still applied.

Fast forward to this week, i got a call for an interview, this time 1 on 1. I was excited. And that took place today.

I got all ready, you know dress pants and a button down shirt and dress shoes. I was probably about 10 minutes early, and i met with the asst. manager at some bench outside the store. We talked about me, my passed work, a few apple questions etc. Long story short, i did extremely well. I asked some questions, and then towards the end, he told me well you're going to be perfect for apple, and this is probably one of the best interviews i have ever had with someone. We ended the interview, it only took about 20 minutes, but i was feeling great. He told me someone would get back to me within a week to start training, for another interview, or say they don't need me at this time. He said 6% of people who apply get hired, and then said again that i like you and you have an extremely good chance. I left the interview all excited.

15 minutes after i get home, i get a call. Said that i wasn't able to work there because i wasn't old enough yet, and if that wasn't the issue, they were already ready to hire me. Hell, the whole management office knew about me because the guy talked about how good i did.

I was so depressed though. I've been trying with Apple for 2 months now and have put a lot of my time into it, and i'm still without a job. I didn't know you had to be 18 though to work at Apple. I called a different Apple Store, and they said you could be at least 16 to work there. So i was like wtf, and i called the store i had the interview at. I spoke to another manager (he knew like i just said because of how good i did) and explained to me why i need to be 18 to work at an Apple store.

They said i probably don't even have to apply again, and i can come back when i'm 18, so i guess i'll apply when i'm 18.....

Thanks for reading.

2. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

bah! didn't they catch that in the beginning? i'm sorry man!

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i know, they shoudl have seen that right away on your app!

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You should see how many applications they get! :eek:

nickspohn that sux dude, I wish you the best in finding a job that can hold you over until you are 18 where you can go back in there and get the fun job you wanted. :)

5. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Thanks guys. Yeah, the first thing i had on my resume was that i was 17 and in high school. It's like getting hired and going through so much work... and you then you get the news you can't get hired because your just slightly too young... Oh well.

6. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

How long until you're 18? Just try back then.

7. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

Yeah, Apple sell finance along with their computers. I believe that in the UK you have to be 18 to sell that sort of thing, possibly a similar rule in the US?

On the plus side you got some interview practice and they said good things about you, so it sounds like you stand a good chance of getting a job somewhere else for the moment and then you can apply again in a few years.

8. dilailamams macrumors member

too early for you . you can come back to real world at any thime.. you are still young

9. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I am sorry about the result, but you should be proud of yourself for at least trying and making an effort. Be proud of yourself!

Secondly, don't look at this as a setback. You have gained valuable interview experience.

10. SubZer0 macrumors member

I have to second the last poster's words. The experience you gained by competing in the interview process will carry you far into the future. The two best ways move forward are by working hard and setting a good example and by knowing how to interview for a position. Don't look at it as a waste of your time, if anything the Apple people wasted their time by not knowing their own policies. Sounds like a job well done. By the way, don't be in too much of a hurry to get to work. After all, you'll probably have to work for the better majority of you life after you get out of school.

11. charliecrosslan macrumors newbie

In the uk you have to be 16 to enter full time employment, ie you need a national insurance number. They shouldnt make an exception really as long as you are mature enough and suitable for the job.