Carrier So about T-Mobile Binge On...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superevangelist1, Nov 14, 2015.

1. superevangelist1 macrumors member

superevangelist1

I am thrilled by this idea that T-Mobile will allow users to watch Netflix, Hulu etc. without it eating away the users data.

Sincerely hope AT&T follows suit.

2. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

Yes. Hooray for the death of the open internet. Way to go T-Mobile.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/10/...-streaming-net-neutrality-problem-john-legere

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The comparison to Comcast is apples and oranges. T-Mobile isn't charging video services to be a part of BingeOn. They've already said it's open to any video provider who streams legal content and is willing to meet the technical requirements for BingeOn to work. Lastly, if I, as a T-Mobile customer, want to stream a video service that isn't a part of BingeOn, I can, it will just count against my data. But T-Mobile isn't going to prevent me from doing so.

4. eyoungren, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The whole argument that T-Mobile is killing net-neutrality is specious and ignores that fact that this is a common, time-honored business practice in many industries - not just wireless.

Where is the outcry when your local grocery store puts only brand X on special for a week? Where is brand neutrality there?

No. I don't buy it.

In any case, OP, while great for you and certainly lots of other T-Mobile customers, I have to say "meh" to this.

Whether I have it or not - I have unlimited on T-Mobile already. Makes no difference at all whether this counts or not in light of my plan.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Can't do T-Mo. Even though I am in an "excellent" reception area at both my office and home, I dislike having to go outside to make and receive calls. I stick to att.

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

7. noobinator macrumors 601

I have unlimited data so how can I turn off the 480p restriction?

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My understanding is that it will appear as an option you can turn off inside your account on the 15th of November when it launches.

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Can be turned off.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And paid for, thus negating the "binge."

11. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

Thanks T-Mobile, but I already get this with AT&T using my unlimited data plan, lol.

12. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

This gives me even more of a reason to move to T-Mobile from Verizon. Free music and video streaming!

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Was having to pay for streaming video an issue before T-Mobile brought it up? ;)

14. Applejuiced, Nov 14, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2015

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's a great option to have available.
    Get it, option?
    That's things that AT&T and Verizon didn't offer us for years. Options.
    Either unlimited texts or no texts at all and pay as you go.
    Either unlimited data plan or you cannot get an iphone.
    Then either 200mb of data or 2gb of data.
    But why would the 2 big carriers do that if they can continue to line their pockets? The surge in wireless video has translated directly into an unprecedented surge in data overages projected in billions of dollars in yearly fees.
    T Mobile with another industry shaking move now won't count streaming data for radio and many streaming video options.
    No one pays for it—not the customers, not the video streaming services and the customer benefits the most.
    I can sit there and stream from my slingbox all day all my dvr shows or live tv and wont even count against my data on 480P quality. And with a switch one can activate or deactivate Binge On for each line.
    And some try to complain about this option?
    Some of us I think are carrier fanboyz a little too much where we start to see competition and better pricing and options as a bad thing.
    Instead of realizing it is a great thing for everyone no matter if you're on T Mobile, AT&T, Verizon or Sprint.

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/media-kits/un-carrier-x.htm

15. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Yes, take the "Give me less options" route.

16. bizack macrumors 6502

Friendly reminder that T-Mobile rolled out Binge On today. It's turned ON by default, meaning regardless of what your app settings are for Netflix, HBO Now, Hulu, etc, your videos will be scaled down to 480p when on cellular. You have to login to your account and turn this 'feature' off (I had to call them because there's a bug on their website when you have a family plan).

17. cjake macrumors member

I have the $80 unlimited data plan. Today in the T-Mobile app, under Add/Change Services...Other... there was a new "Binge On ?" radio button. It was set to OFF, not ON. I was able to turn it on. But then was unable to turn it off?

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

T-Mobile is a good value (when LTE signals work for data).

For families 10gb per line full speed with their most popular package is usually good enough especially if T-Mobile is exempting most video sites (they are working on YouTube).

But Check the network our first. Had a couple of my friends switch from Verizon to T-Mobile and they regretted it big time (big cities DC, Baltimore and Orlando) especially moving out to suburb areas.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Give it a few more days.
    It's still early.

20. bizack macrumors 6502

I called them and had them turn it off.

21. Tummy macrumors regular

Thats why tmobile has their 7 day free test drive. Sorry, but your friends just didn't do their due diligence. https://explore.t-mobile.com/TestDrive/Register1.aspx

22. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'll be sure to go and turn it off immediately

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah you can forget about AT&T offering this. It would cause too many people to stop paying overages.

24. hindmost macrumors regular

hindmost

You got that right! My autistic granddaughter watches Amazon/UTube and Netflix. She's 9 years old and has not a clue that 'data' costs money. We were not paying close attention a couple months ago and she ran up a bill of $200 extra bucks on our AT&T account for one month. AT&T customer 'non-service' was not sympathetic even though I've been a customer for decades.

I had an extra iPhone 5c laying around totally owned by me.....I and immediately took it to SPRINT and sighed up for their phone service and unlimited data plan. TOTAL BILL IS IS $60 A MONTH.

25. willmtaylor, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That plan is now $70/mo. alone. Did you at it to existing lines for $60?

Sprint's use of the word "unlimited" is a JOKE: XGB of LTE speed and then unlimited 2G (not even 3G) which typically clocks in at 100-300kbps. No thanks. Not for me. They DO have a truly unlimited plan, but it starts at $70/mo. before paying for phone, taxes, fees, etc.

Which plan are you speaking of?