So, about the 2nd gen iPod Touch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pain, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Pain macrumors regular

From the looks of it, it's not a HUGE update to the iPod Touch, but it's good. External speakers, slimmer model, microphone, Nike+ are just some of the additional features.

Considering it's a bit under $250, I could've bought it, but I went with a PS3 (sorry, just had to steal a car, ya'know? Niko Beliic ftw!).

I have a 1st-gen, so is it worthwhile to move up to a 2nd-gen? A new model will release in September, anyway. Apple just makes money...

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

nope, u don't need to upgrade unless u are unable to live without nike plus and one extra hour of bat life.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

4. -Dark Angel- macrumors 6502

^ don't forget the mic-in for VOIP calls and voice recorders, also ability to control your music without powering on your iPod.

5. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

^ And the faster speeds AND the newer music chip that Apple installed in the 2g that makes music much nicer to listen to AND the slimmer design that makes the 1g feel clunky in comparison AND the app store apps that are starting to come through that aren't for 1g's.

And of course all the 1g owners that are stuck with their old technology 1g's are going to say "stay with a 1g" it's human nature to try to stop people having something better than what you have....sad but true.

Hey 1g owners....get over it. The 1g is now OLD TECHNOLOGY and has been superseded by the new 2nd generation iPod touch. That's life and when the 3g comes out it's gonna' supersede the 2g.....and I'll get rid of my 2g on eBay for nearly what I paid for it and get a 3g.....just like I did with my 1g.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

Because Safari always feels snappier, right? The grass isn't always greener.
    Makes it nicer to listen to or makes you be able to say that you have the newest chip? I'm yet to hear anyone tell me a difference in sound quality.
    fixed that for you.
    Because we're all waiting to walk around looking like we're talking to ourselves, eh?

Or, here's an idea, maybe some recognize that it's pointless to "upgrade" to something when no significant changes were made. If someone doesn't want a speaker or some nice plastic buttons on the side, what's the point in losing a hundred bucks to get something that is essentially the same?

Gotta be rude in response to nothing? Nice wording; I'll anxiously await the spontaneous combustion of everything that I own that is no longer manufactured.

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Incorrect, the 2nd gen is actually 0.5mm thicker than the first gen at the thickest point.

This is a vague point, are you talking about Wi Fi, apps or what?

I'll cover both.

WI FI: If anything, many users are reporting that the 2nd gen's Wi Fi receiver is weaker than that of the 1g, and are reporting very low signal in areas where they used to get rather reasonable reception. Also, the lower the signal, the longer it takes for pages to load = decrease in speeds.

APPS: 2.1 decreased the time it took to install apps, and this was for both the 1g and 2g (as 2.1.1 is the 2g-only successor to 2.1, that obviously carries the same data as that update). I have noticed no changes in the time between the launch time of apps between both generations, and apps still crash on the 2g. Any change in speed is negligible; especially since it's based on the software (which runs on both iPods), not the model of iPod that you have (and before you try and tell me it's part of 2.1.1, no, that update for the 2g was only to fix a syncing issue with iTunes).

Sorry akonradi, this is probably the one time in this post that I don't side with your argument. The moment I started listening to my 2nd gen I noticed HUGE improvements over the sound of my 1st gen.

And until the 2nd gen they weren't available on the touch anyway due to their hardware constraints, so what?

That's just arrogant. I was hesitant to get a 2g because I'm against the idea that Apple is just trying to make the touch more and more like the iPhone. Yes, it is basically a phoneless iPhone, but changing the design to the point that it has identical volume controls, a chrome bezel and the tapered back is just going to result in more people thinking it's an iPhone (and I already had numerous people ask to have a go on my 'iPhone' when it was a FIRST gen touch...)

"If it ain't broke don't fix it". If they have no problems with their iPod, why should they shell out so much money to buy a new one? My sister wanted my 1st gen touch, so I gave it to her...a couple weeks ago I was feeling nostalgic and used it again for a few minutes, and it actually feels a lot better built than the 2g; it feels much more solid. Plus my 1g didn't come with a massive light leak on the right hand side of the screen that lets massive amounts of dust inside and which Apple refuses to fix like with my 2g (despite the fact the exact same thing happened with the iPhone 3G and they replaced all those).

Newer does not equal better. Both are great devices and just because you own the latest one doesn't make you better than a person that owns a 1g.

8. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

^ and so say the 1g owners.

Hey if you believe it.....good for you.

Point of fact is that your iPods have been superseded.......live with it.

9. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

It's been superseded, yes, but it's still wonderful technology, and works just as well as the new one would for me. I'm good to go without remotes and an hour of extra life, thanks verymuch.

10. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

^ And that one improvement and even if that had been the ONLY improvement would have been the clincher for me to dump my 1g. I love music and for me that's the most important thing, my iPod is for me first and foremost for listening to tunes. Video and games I enjoy, but music is first.

The 1g has been superceded by the 2g.

11. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

That may be true, but you saying it over and over again doesn't make you any more right. If people want to keep using the 1g, then they'll do it; if they want the 2g, they'll replace their old one. Just because you have had both models does not make you superior to those that are holding on to the 1g, regardless of what you think.

It's ironic that you say this to me, considering I'm another person that replaced the 1g with the 2g. Unlike you, however, I don't think that people are stupid and hate the fact they're 'stuck' with old technology; it's their choice to stay with it because they clearly like it more. Everybody has different opinions, and I think you should just accept and respect that.

I've even mentioned that I think the 1g is built a lot better than the 2g, but the fact that I have a 2g, according to your argument, means that I'm exempt from being a '1g fanboy' that hates having 'outdated technology', even if I prefer the original model over the newer one.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Some of the original ones from 2007 had issues with audio but they eventually got fixed. I had a classic with the old chip and recently bought a 4g nano with the new audio chip and I can hear absolutely no difference. By no means am I an audiophile but with the type of music that I listen to and the equipment that I use for it, I probably would have discovered a difference by now if it was very significant. If not, then maybe someone more tuned-into stuff like that might be able to tell, but prior to now, I've not been told by anyone that there's a substantial difference in sound quality.

Oh, and you might want to fix up your quote tags. For some reason my name got inserted into stuff that someone else said. ;) And I'm glad to see that you agree with me lots; you must not be reading PRSI!

13. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Haha, sorry, that's what happens when I reply to topics when I first wake up without paying a whole lot of attention to who said what :p

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea, the 1G owners are all lesser than you are. *sarcasm* We use iPods, not have the latest just for showing off. We actually *use* it for what it was made for, not for having the latest of everything. Function over emotion please.

15. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

No...........just your iPod touch ;)

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'm not going to argue with less mature people. You have your opinion and I have mine. i think shelling out money to show off is stupid, and you don't. that's your choice.

17. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

Maturity can be shown by someone not jumping to conclusions. I have never shown anyone my iPod touch (my wife also has a 32g 2g) so I'm not "showing off" to anyone, sorry to disappoint you. I have money, I have worked hard and I'm not embarrassed to spend it and enjoy what life has to offer and I have no need to impress anyone.

18. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If that's the case then cease trying to make fun of the 1g or the people that own the 1g. No one cares what iPod you have, it's a music player. As long as it freaking does what it's advertised to do, who the hell cares what model people have.

19. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

The original poster of this thread does.

20. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No, they don't. Not in the way that you seem to be conveying. You're trying to make it seem that the OP will be worse off just for having 'old' technology. The speaker sounds like rubbish, from my experience the volume controls are barely used, the Wi Fi is considerably worse than with the 1G (especially with the WPA problems many people have had) and, as I've mentioned a couple times in this thread now, overall the 2G actually feels a lot cheaper than the 1G (and I don't mean literally cheaper in a monetary sense, in case you were thinking of using that as some sort of pathetic focus of your reply, I mean it in the sense that Apple cares even less in regards to the quality of their products); the 1G feels much more solid, the 2G has inherited problems from the iPhone 3G (eg: light leaks).

@OP: My advice would be to find a store that has display models of the 2G and to try it out for yourself, that's the only way you will ultimately be able to tell if it is worth it because here, in this thread, there are so many conflicting arguments on the matter.

21. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

If you have the money - yes