So about these yellow screens & my first few hours with a 7plus.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vanimal, Sep 21, 2016.

1. vanimal, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

vanimal macrumors 6502a

I decided to go ahead and upgrade to a 7 plus in matte black. Now I was in a rush to get to my kids baseball game & run home & back out again to the gym. So I popped my sim in and went about my time. Now... not having screens side by side I didn't feel like the screen was "yellow" on the 7 plus really at all. I'd say a tad warmer maybe, but I also felt the colors were better on the 7plus.

So side by side on a white screen compared to 6s plus sure they screen looks a warmer. The 6s seems blueshish white compared to the 7 plus. Now I wouldn't say the 7 plus is yellow, but that's based off preference i think. For instance years ago I had my TV calibrated, but although it was "accurate" I felt it was too warm for my taste. That's a whole other argument.

Camera, again short quick tests in the hours I've owned it. In low lighting there is a BIG difference I seen. I had my 6splus & the 7plus both opened in the camera. And the 7 plus let in so much more light, clarity, & detail in not so great lighting compared to the 6s plus. Haven't tested good lighting but my money would say they are "similar" in good lighting but the 7plus will display more accurate better colors.

As far as speed of the phone seems about as snappy as my 6s plus which was super fast on ios10.

Matte black feels and looks great. This is the first time I've had apple care so I may go without a case. Or at least find a bumper case since covering up the matte black would take away of some of the cool sleek look of it.

Headphone jack- I've been using Bluetooth headphones for the last year and a half and won't go back to a cord. So there's that lol.

All & all it was worth it to me for since I don't have a high end camera and I like to do so street type photography with my iPhone. Which is my main camera. The low lighting jump alone is a major factor for me because me and my fiancé go to a lot of concerts.

I was also able to sell my 6s plus for about $500. So that's a major help.
    Side note: I hope they intergrate the haptic feedback into more things. I notice when you swipe drag the mailbox it vibrates which is cool. I also really like the new home button, I also liked when they made the new track pads this way.

I will post the 6s plus and the 7 plus white screen comparison below. Although it seems less drastic in person. But present for sure with them side by side.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Just an F.Y.I the screen shot you posted don't do justice as you have to take a different camera and take a picture of both devices to compare.

3. vanimal, Sep 21, 2016

vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

"Edited" uploaded correct pictures. Long day :/

4. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

I was like umm..

5. vanimal, Sep 21, 2016

Ahh makes sense, I could use my fiancée 6s plus. I'll get her phone and snap a image of the google pages.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    Left 7 plus, right 6s plus. Taken from a 6s plus.its honestly less drastic in real life. One picture is background lights off, the other low lighting in the background where the picture was taken.

Attached Files:

6. kre62 macrumors 68000

Thats not 6500k. Thats not warmer. Thats defective. Swap it out. See the yellowgate thread, many are getting way better screens with no tint when they've swapped their phones. Multiple suppliers for the display means variance and the good screens do in fact exist!

7. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? Hmm I try not to read the negative stuff much, but I guess I'll check the thread. But if it's in fact a major problem apple I'm guessing could acknowledge it.

What if my local store doesn't have any in stock before my 14 day? If I have apple care could that qualify for a swap as well?

It's weird I'm typing on my phone now and I don't feel like its "defective" as far as the sceeen being yellow. :/

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you think in real life it's less drastic, why replace it for another and have different sorts of issues?

9. kre62 macrumors 68000

Ultimately its up to you. I feel the contrast, brightness and text quality are worse on the yellow screens. They are inferior panels. Happens every year with launch of every i product. If you like it keep it, just dont compare it to the milky white backlight good screens :)

On your Q if they dont have stock do a full return and wait for next batch. Im guessing they will though they swapped mine on launch day.

10. vanimal thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I am taking the photos with a 6s plus which doesn't do the best job taking pictures in low lighting accurately. It is less drastic in person but it's still warmer for sure.

Typing on the 7plus now it doesn't feel yellow so to speak. I'll stop in my local Apple tomorrow & compare to the display models.

11. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

My phone is warmer white but not yellow. When I take a photo however it looks pinkish like your screen. If it looks good to you in person it is probably fine.

12. Teeceman macrumors newbie

I'm not sure about the whole warmer colour thing yet, when I turn on night shift on my 6s and compare screens the colour is close to the colour on my friends "yellow" screen IP7 which is also less bright than my 6s.
    `

13. meagain macrumors 68030

I'm getting UN-natural colors on my 7 compared to my 6. Taking pics of Tree trunks, concrete, leaves, wood flooring, etc. The 7 is showing concrete, silvers & greys more taupey. Foliage is more towards yellow with brightening/lightening, grass, etc. I've not tested blues yet.

These are all being viewed as comparison on my 4k iMac.

14. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

What's with the 6,500k fuss anyway?
    6,500k is blue. That is/was closer to the screen temperature of the 6s.
    Proper white is around 5,500k. Anything 5,000k should look good.
    6,500k is icy blue.

[​IMG]

15. vanimal, Sep 22, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016

I agree, when I go back to my 6s plus it looks Icey blue. I'm pretty OCD if I felt my phone was yellow on white pages I would be complaining. Everyone's eyes and tastes are different. This is the first time in a bit they adjusted the color gamut so it could be throwing most off. Just a thought.

16. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502

Ledsteplin

The fix for the yellow tint is in Settings > General > Accessibility >Display Accommodations> Color filters > set accordingly
    [​IMG]