So about this new thunderbolt light peak technology........

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by applefanboy4739, Aug 9, 2011.

1. applefanboy4739 macrumors member

How long do you think it'll be before we see thunderbolt flash drives?

2. laxman101 macrumors regular

I'm more interested in getting thunderbolt accessories that aren't 12 TB external drives first... I want my LaCie little big disk! Hopefully by summer of next year for the flash drives...

3. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Flash drives are commodity items, thunderbolt is very much a premium feature right now. It wouldn't make very much sense to stick a thunderbolt interface on a flash drive, because the interface controller IC is currently extremely large and bulky, and thus expensive. It also draws a fairly significant amount of power right now, meaning it'd need a sizeable metal casing to dissipate heat.

All this would make for a very pricey flashdrive, sort of the anti-thesis of all other such drives on the market, and sales would most likely be terrible.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

It may take a while but thunderbolt will give way to USB 3. When the whole world is on the USB 3 standard and there are sooooo many accessories....TB will just fade away like firewire.

5. admanimal macrumors 68040

By "fade away like firewire" I hope you mean still be included on most Macs due to it being superior to USB (in the case of FW800 vs. USB2). I always buy FW800 devices over USB2 if I have the choice, and will probably do the same thing with TB vs USB3.

6. spidey3 macrumors regular

I don't think so. After 3 years USB 3.0 is still not widely adopted, mainly because eSATA [and miniSAS] are better for drives, and for everything else the higher speed / power isn't needed.

Spidey!!!