So about those Amazon MBAs...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mittens79, Aug 15, 2011.

1. mittens79 macrumors newbie

I ordered an MBA 11" from Amazon last week with the code, etc., etc. Since this is the first time I've ever purchased a Mac from a retailer other than Apple Retail or Apple Online (and it will be arriving today), I'd like some clarification about how a purchase from Amazon may or may not affect the MBA's warranty service.

For example, I have noted that Amazon's computer return policy is:
    a. unopened, within 30days = full refund.
    b. opened, within 30 days = 85% refund.
    c. after 30 days = no refund.

My concern has to do with the issue of replacing a faulty computer. Now let's say hypothetically (you'll have to excuse my ocd tendencies here), that the MBA arrives DOA. Amazon will refund only 85%. So I'd have to take it to Apple. Now, would they replace the MBA (even though I did not purchase from Apple) or simply replace parts to somehow get it to work? Many times a genius will run diagnostics and determine the computer needs this repair and that repair and so they will just replace it. But I wonder whether they would insist on repair when it could more easily be replaced just because they did not sell it to me in the first place. I've had a few DOAs (macbook, imac, iphone3gs) over the years and had them replaced, so I admit I'm a little bit paranoid given my track record. (i know the odds are slim but...)

Thanks in advance for your reply.

-m

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I purchased a 2010 MacBook Air from MacMall last year that was defective. The Apple Store exchanged it 2 days later and even gave me a replacement receipt that reset the start of the warranty.

3. dborja macrumors 6502a

+1

I bought an iBook 12" from Amazon years ago and took it to an Apple store because it won't close properly. They replaced it.

Then, I bought an iMac 27" i5 from MacConnection and took it to an Apple store with CD-ROM drive and screen issues. They also replaced it.

Apple's customer service and warranty rocks!

4. mittens79 thread starter macrumors newbie

good to know -- thanks! hopefully out of the box my mba will be the perfect little gem it aspires to be, no repairs or replacements required. and yes, i agree that apple customer service does rock!

5. dennya macrumors regular

dennya

Also, those refund amounts you quote are for pure returns for refund. If you returned it as an exchange (ie: "My MacBook came broken, please send me another one"), there's no financial penalty.

After the initial 30 days, then you'd just be left with calling Apple for warranty service.

6. mittens79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, now that's key information that I somehow overlooked. Thanks!

7. aryan118 macrumors regular

Irrespective of where you buy your APPLE product from to claim any warranty going straight to a apple store will always help

8. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I have returned two macs in the past to Amazon. One was defective, one was not (I just needed something more powerful at the time). Both were given 100% refunds on, despite what their policy says.

9. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Google still returns their old policy page when you try to search there. I believe they changed it around the same time that Best Buy did to where there is no restocking fee for computers within 30 days; opened or otherwise. I had to buy a 2010MBA a couple weeks ago for a photography trip that was the day before the refresh. I returned the old one when I returned and waited for the refund. Full amount minus $10 shipping charges. Then I got my new 11" and couldn't be happier :)

See here for their policy. Seems all they did was eliminate the special computer policy and bunch it into general electronics.

10. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Thank you so much for this post. I was so confused because I'd seen the "restocking fee" policy on opened computers, and I'd see the other "full refund" policy. I got my new MBA yesterday, and it appears to be in perfect shape, but I was concerned about the same issue as the OP.

And thanks to the OP for asking the question: I was hesitant because I figured I'd get the, "this has been answered in a thousand other threads" response.

11. mittens79 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, thanks so much for pointing this out! Glad to hear that others have had success returning/exchanging their macs on Amazon.

"And thanks to the OP for asking the question: I was hesitant because I figured I'd get the, "this has been answered in a thousand other threads" response."

You're welcome!