Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

azure247

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
My ipod touch battery dies and I lost 400$? At 500 charges thats about .80$ loss for every full charge you do.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
you can replace the battery (however difficult). just buy an OEM part from eBay or any site that sells parts for ipods. Then go to ifixit.com and find out how to replace the battery.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Where are you getting that number from?

$400 divided by 500 charges is $0.80 a charge. What I don't get is how you know it was 500 charges? Did you actually count each one? Were they full charges from dead or just partial charges?

You can change the battery yourself. Just look on ebay for the battery replacement kits. Usually they include the plastic tools you need to pry the case open. Otherwise I believe you can send it back to Apple and they'll replace it with one of their batteries. (for a price of course)

I really wish Apple would stop jerking their customers around and make these things with easily replaceable batteries.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If you are within the first year, just call Apple Care or goto and Apple Store and they will replace it. If you are outside of that, just take it to an Apple Store (or Call Apple Care) and participate in the Battery Exchange. For a small price you give them your iPod and they give you a "new" one. I know for most iPods it is $60, I'm not sure about the touch, but I suspect it will be in that range.

TEG

YodaEXE

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
Yeah, I don't know where he's getting the 500 charges from. That doesn't seem right to me.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
If you are within the first year, just call Apple Care or goto and Apple Store and they will replace it. If you are outside of that, just take it to an Apple Store (or Call Apple Care) and participate in the Battery Exchange. For a small price you give them your iPod and they give you a "new" one. I know for most iPods it is $60, I'm not sure about the touch, but I suspect it will be in that range.

TEG

so someone with a 1g touch with a dead battery can pay around $60 for a new 2g touch?

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
You also have to think about your level of charge. Leaving a device at full charge most of the time will result in a %20 battery capacity loss over a year, while being at the optimum %40 percent charge level results in a loss of only %4.

Just adding more stress. Really, though, just enjoy the device. 500 isn't an absolute limit, and I'm sure you could squeeze 520 - 550 in there at the least. They probably under-estimate like drug companies under estimate max dosage so they don't get sued.

Aeroplane

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2008
Yeah, I don't know where he's getting the 500 charges from. That doesn't seem right to me.

that's what lithium ion batteries last , cell phones, cameras and other electronic appliances have the same battery life...500 charges and then it diesss!!!! :p

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
My ipod touch battery dies and I lost 400$? At 500 charges thats about .80$ loss for every full charge you do.

ok just get it replaced by applecare unless u voided the warrenty sumhow it has been about 11mths since it came out, so NOBODYS warrentys are passed 1 yr yet, and also 300 days and 500 charges that cant be rite.

ukitali

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
I think he's just asking for future reference. Also batteries in cameras, cell phones, etc are easily replaceable and cheap unlike ipod batteries.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
You also have to think about your level of charge. Leaving a device at full charge most of the time will result in a %20 battery capacity loss over a year, while being at the optimum %40 percent charge level results in a loss of only %4.

Do you mind sharing where you got this info? I've never seen it before.

angels lust

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2008
iPhone only has 350 charges before it dies. The price of modern day electronics I suppose. I'm glad I got the two-year warranty, by the time my battery is on it's last leg I'll send it in and hope for the best.

Actually, who am I kidding? I'll probably just upgrade in 2 years. :eek:

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
iPhone only has 350 charges before it dies. The price of modern day electronics I suppose. I'm glad I got the two-year warranty, by the time my battery is on it's last leg I'll send it in and hope for the best.

Actually, who am I kidding? I'll probably just upgrade in 2 years. :eek:

Correction: It can go to 350 cycles before it starts losing charge capacity a little bit at a time. Most likely, the battery can go to 500-600 cycles before it really isn't worth charging anymore. It doesn't die after 350 charges.

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
Wow some bad info about batteries here.

The general rule is that lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries are designed to retain 80% capacity after 500 cycles. Some say 350-500 to cover themselves and not have to service the battery under warranty.

If you take care of your battery by not running it dead before each charge and charging it and using it as often as possible, then, theoritically, it should still have have 60% capacity after 1,000 cycles.

Take care of your battery, use it properly, don't run it dead, and it will be very usable for years to come.

Naro

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
Wow some bad info about batteries here.

The general rule is that lithium ion and lithium polymer batteries are designed to retain 80% capacity after 500 cycles. Some say 350-500 to cover themselves and not have to service the battery under warranty.

If you take care of your battery by not running it dead before each charge and charging it and using it as often as possible, then, theoritically, it should still have have 60% capacity after 1,000 cycles.

Take care of your battery, use it properly, don't run it dead, and it will be very usable for years to come.

Do you agree with not charging it until it hits 40%

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I got a 32GB. Think it'll be too expensive to let it fail.

Better to get Applecare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.