So after using OSX for the first time ever, here are my thoughts vs Windows...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by scaramoosh, Mar 20, 2016.

1. scaramoosh macrumors 6502

I fancied a change, I bought a 27 inch 5K iMac and a Macbook 12 late last year and I sold off my Windows PC (I've built my own PCs since forever) and went all in Mac. I wont get into hardware too much, as a package the iMac is nice, but it's nothing amazing if you're using to high end Windows PC building. Apple's displays are also nothing special any more, there are lots of alternatives that are so much better.

I have to say OSX is better most of the time, it's more reliable, I've not had anything crash that's OSX based and Apple's support were great when mine iMac came with a chip in it. Apple sent me a replacement before needing me to send my old one back, I was really happy with that considering the thing cost me £2569.

The Wireless performance is so much better than Windows, I know this is really probably motherboard dependant, but I always used t spend £300 on my Motherboards, so they should have the best of the best. However any Windows Laptop or Windows PC I built myself, I found the wireless to be lacklustre and I just plugged the ethernet in, with the Mac I've had no issues. That extends to the wireless keyboard and mouse, I notice no latency or anything odd, I just wish they were better products so I could actually use them as they're quite bad hardware wise.

However I did buy the trackpad and it's flawless, I really love using it and it works amazing on OSX, but on Windows it does the typical Windows thing with Trackpads and it just bogs down and has weird moments. I don't get why Microsoft struggle with this, all Trackpads on Windows are terrible. The one complain I have is how there is no mount or anything to tie to the keyboard, they're the same profile, but it just means you cannot use it on the Sofa.

I found apple Airplay to be rather bad, I had to switch to optical out into my own DAC, which obviously means I found the built in audio to be bad too... however built in audio is always bad and they're probably using realtek. The webcam is also shockingly bad and I don't understand why they went with thunderbolt over USB-C, I've got no use for Thunderbolt and USB-C supports video out if that is the purpose of it.

I love how smooth OSX is, like I said I've had no issues what so ever with it. I tried bootcamp and for some reason it wouldn't uninstall properly even though I did it the correct way. This is a quirk that annoyed me with OSX, however the ability to easily restore like a phone is amazing. On Windows you have to have a USB stick with Windows on it and it's just not as seamless or easy.

I love the way you navigate around, I love the multiple Desktops you can have and I think the OS generally works so much better than Windows which feels so buggy to me now. However there are some things I hate, the way Apple tries to take control away from you and automatically does everything is annoying. Things like Mic control, I cannot get the levels to stay normal, it keeps fluctuating them no matter what Google says I can do to fix it. I hate the file management and how I cannot just see where what is, it merges everything and that is annoying... for people like my Mum it would be a good thing as on her Windows PC she never uses anything other than C because she doesn't know how, but for me it's annoying. I would say I hate how Apple tries to stop you from installing stuff away from the app store, however Microsoft now do that with USC and OSX's version is far less annoying.

Other weird things with OSX is how tabs work in the browser and snapping them. Why is snapping apps so much harder than Windows? In Windows you just drag to the sides, you can even do four on one display, on OSX you can only do two and you have to hold down the green dot on the top left. It's so cumbersome, frigging you cannot just open right click and open a new tab and drag off to create two new windows. Like you can, but you can only do it in one specific way, it's very fussy and if you have two windows snapped you cannot do it at all.

On the whole though I'm preferring OSX, I find it to be much more usable. It just has one major down side for me and that is gaming, for one most games are Windows only, two the AMD drivers rarely get updated, so any games that have problems don't get fixed, this is really annoying in Bootcamp. Thirdly the GPU inside is weak, especially for a 5K monitor, I have to run everything at 1080p and I have the 395X 4GB... this basically kills OSX for VR as well.

That leads me to scaling though and how much better OSX is at scaling than Windows. Which on Windows you really can only have a 1440p display, it's bad at 21:9, it's bad at 4K and it's scaling is so all over the place. OSX has been flawless for me...

I really like my iMac, my Macbook 12 is even better since Macs are so far ahead Laptop wise. I'm going to s1tick to using it as my main machine, but without the gaming and some of the flexibility of Windows... I'm now building my own Windows PC for Gaming and VR.

2. cynics macrumors G3

Seems like a fair assessment. My experience coming from Windows is similar albeit it was quite a while ago so I feel at that time there was more contrast between the two.

Glad you are enjoying your Mac and OS X.

3. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

The comparison is an embarrassing one.

Windows 10 is disgusting.

Mac OS is one of the best things ever made.

4. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

The main thing for me is how OSX feels so smooth, but Windows 10 feels really finicky but it also has more utility and it feels easier to use. I do feel that Apple love to sacrifice usability in the name of simplicity, it's like Apple with everything, I want to say more is sometimes better Apple..

It's a nice OS though, it just cannot be your only OS, where as Windows can be... but I'm actually preferring media consumption on the Mac.

5. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68000

bladerunner2000

Because despite how awesome OS X, Apple clearly has some morons still making bonehead decisions and a legion of mac users that actually agree with things (you'll see them often on MacRumors). For whatever reason, Apple loves to do certain things completely backwards. Remember, this is the company that for 30 years stuck to a single button mouse. For about 7 years didn't allow you to change the keyboard in iOS. Has yet to add a file manager to iOS. Calls itself a leader in media distribution but doesn't have AC-3 or DTS audio support in iTunes. Etc.

Read below for solutions though.

You can get around some of these things with application called BetterTouchTool; https://www.boastr.net/

It'll allow you to make window snapping very simple (with a bunch of other customizations). On top of that, you can also program the green button to maximize windows without hiding the much needed menu bar or the dock. The current default implementation of the green button is so incredibly stupid, it's been pissing off people for a couple of years now; Fullscreen on a desktop? Why the christ would anyone want to hide the menu bar and dock when multitasking in the Adobe Creative Suite?! And why is the animation so painfully slow?!

Anyway, since you're new, things used to be a lot more open with OSX with how you could customize it to YOUR liking. Now, everyone thinks that we all have the same habits and preferences. Apple implemented System Integrity Protection which basically doesn't allow you to customize The Finder; you'll notice it too sucks balls as you can't properly cut/paste files along with not being able to display folders on top. I and many others made a TON of complaints about this, essentially begging for at least making these features OPTIONS in system preferences, but a lot of people (here on macrumors) are so arrogant that they aren't even willing to have that be implemented (the change would NEVER affect them).

Good luck with OS X... it's great but it's been getting worse since OS X 10.9, but hopefully Apple will pull it's head out of it's ass.

6. cynics macrumors G3

Well that is subjective. For some people iOS can be their only OS.

For me OS X can and is currently my only OS. Personally my only caveat is gaming and the desire as a hobby to build a powerful PC. The opposite could be said for iOS app devs, they can prefer Windows for everything but on a professional level they will need Mac.

7. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

Hey, thanks for your post! I like to hear well thought out comments from someone coming from a recent version of Windows to help keep me up to date on the different "user experiences." (My Windows knowledge really only goes up to XP.)

I was a little puzzled about this comment until I remembered "All Files" which I had turned off when I upgraded OS X. So I re-enabled it to take a look, and... GAH!!!!! what a mess! OFF it goes again! You probably already know this, but you can set Finder (via its Preferences) to open new windows where they belong (ha ha!) -- in your Home directory, not Documents -- so you can see where everything is. (Also, if you have View Sidebar on, you can put any "folder" you want to in the favorites section.)

Thanks again for reporting your experience. You may have convinced me to try a trackpad for my iMac...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 24, 2016 ---
    Edit: Actually, if you really want to see where everything is, make sure to show all Devices in the sidebar... or use Terminal.app!

8. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

What I mean is there is no file path like Windows, it's really tricky to find out what drive a certain file is on. I tried to edit a file in Steam because I wanted to change model skins in CS and I couldn't find how to get to it. Where I search everything is merged, I cannot tell where it is :/ I know why they've done it, because the average user finds it hard to manage files across multiple drives, but for me it is a pain.

Someone said go the the GO menu and hold options and Library pops up. That is exactly what I want, but why do I have to go through that to find where things are?

As for the trackpad, I'm using the Magic pad 2 as I saw a brand new one on sale for £60 on eBay.... I don't use the mouse anymore. I find Apple's mouse to be really bad, but unless I'm gaming, I wont use my Logitech mouse, the new trackpad is so good.

9. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

In regular Finder windows, if pick Finder-->View-->Show Path Bar (or alt-cmd-P), it will display the path of the selected file or folder (albeit with icons). Another handy trick: if you drag a file or folder from a Finder window and drop it into a terminal window, it will paste in the complete Unix path (including drive) to the file.

But it sounds like you're talking about in a Spotlight search results window -- and it seems you're right. I don't see anyway to get the path info of a file in the spotlight search results. Seems like another good example of Apple trying to make things too simple.

10. mildocjr macrumors 65816

First thing I do when I get a new Mac:

Drag the Applications and Utilities folders into my Dock. So much easier access to Apps when using a Magic Mouse.

Second thing I do:

Enable my home folders in the sidebar.

11. Lisat78 macrumors member

To see a file pathway do your search from within Finder instead of invoking Spotlight. That allows you to fine-tune your search AND gives the full pathway along the bottom as per the tip above. It's not Agent Ransack if you've ever used that (it's the one thing I still miss from Windows. Document Monkey is OK but it's not as fast or elegant as AR) but it does the job. You can save the search to the sidebar.

12. scaramoosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Can I link to the file path like Windows?

Seems like my only gripes can be addressed, I find it quite hard to just find things on OSX when compared to Windows, that's probably just because I've used Windows since 3.1... though it looked different to the standard 95.

13. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Right-click the file/program/whatever and select Create shortcut, and drag that wherever. I believe that is quite close to the way Windows does it, yes?

14. bcave098 macrumors 6502

bcave098

On OS X it's called an alias not a shortcut and the option is "Make Alias", but you're correct.

15. JoelTheSuperior macrumors 6502

JoelTheSuperior

Or web development. Web development on Windows is painful.

Music production is a lot better on Windows now than it used to be but I'd argue that OS X still has the upper hand.

What makes you say that? I can't stand Windows 10 myself but it's unfair to say it does nothing right. It has much better graphical performance for example and as a rule cross platform applications get better performance on Windows than they do on OS X.