Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBrooklyn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2021
Stockholm
Sorry if there is a topic, but I was kinda hype over the update AirTag sharing as I have a few items that I would like to share with the rest of the family and my kids keys as it would be good to be able to help them find em.

well after many attempts trying to get the sharing with the kids to work (worked smooth sharing with there mother) I contacted apple and first talked with the chat and they could not help me solve it so got called by senior support and after a short moment they tell me nope they dont have that ability to share to kid accounts.
why would you not have that seems like one of the better share functions for this kind of stuff.

well rant off, what do you guys think about this ?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
“Note: You can only share an AirTag with someone who has an Apple ID. You can’t share with a child account.”

I think the idea is you’re responsible for your child and AirTag on your child’s key should be your responsibility, not his.

forzagaribaldi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
London, UK
It's an annoying restriction. My daughter has a child account and a cellular apple watch as she travels to school and back on her own now. She also has an airtag on her keys which belongs to me. All works fine but I don't understand why I cannot share the tag with her so that she can use Find Items on her watch in case she misplaces them.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
It's an annoying restriction. My daughter has a child account and a cellular apple watch as she travels to school and back on her own now. She also has an airtag on her keys which belongs to me. All works fine but I don't understand why I cannot share the tag with her so that she can use Find Items on her watch in case she misplaces them.

You don’t mention her age, but if she has keys (home alone), a cellular watch, and travels to school on her own, maybe it’s time for her to get her own Apple ID. Use family sharing.

forzagaribaldi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
London, UK
You don’t mention her age, but if she has keys (home alone), a cellular watch, and travels to school on her own, maybe it’s time for her to get her own Apple ID. Use family sharing.
As per my post, she has an AppleId that is part of our family. But sharing the airtag is not possible. I can however share it with my wife. We also tried registering the airtag to her which works but she then has no option to share with us either. She's 11 so I can only think there are restrictions on sharing some things. It's not the end of the world but if it is a genuine restriction I cannot understand why it would be in place. Her location is shared with me anyway due to her apple watch. It just means she cannot use FindMy if she misplaces her keys so I end up having to do it. And let's face it 11-year-olds are pretty good at misplacing things!

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
As per my post, she has an AppleId that is part of our family. But sharing the airtag is not possible. I can however share it with my wife. We also tried registering the airtag to her which works but she then has no option to share with us either. She's 11 so I can only think there are restrictions on sharing some things. It's not the end of the world but if it is a genuine restriction I cannot understand why it would be in place. Her location is shared with me anyway due to her apple watch. It just means she cannot use FindMy if she misplaces her keys so I end up having to do it. And let's face it 11-year-olds are pretty good at misplacing things!

Yes, I saw that she has a “child” Apple ID. I meant get her a “big girl” or regular Apple ID. If she is responsible enough to travel to and from school without adult supervision and come home to an empty home, it’s probably time to upgrade the Apple ID.

forzagaribaldi

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2008
London, UK
Ah, understood. I’m happy for her to still have child restrictions on her ID. This sharing thing is the only issue but all the rest works great. As said, she is only 11. i work from home so the key is more symbolic really and helpful if I’m on a call, etc when she gets home. I’m in no rush for her to grow up ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.