So, all the insanity has died down, seems pretty moderated. Your impressions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by isoft7, Oct 17, 2011.

1. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

My take, especially as a new iPhone 4s user is a lot of last weeks incredible excitement demonstrated here was without merit. Seems after a weekends use, most people recognize few differences from what they had.

I love my phone, but the screen is quirky, being too sensitive at times and not responsive at all at others, seems poor quality control. Along with that, as a Sprint customer (have been for years), their network is being destroyed and web browsing is a poor experience now.

Bottom line, a fun upgrade, but not a really big deal.

Your impressions after the first weekend?

2. slr001 macrumors member

Maybe for iP4 users... dont forget there were a lot like me upgrading from 3GS... I see a LOT of difference.

3. isoft7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Agreed, if you're coming from an older iPhone, this thing is day and night.

4. THEAnonymous macrumors member

I think that sums it up - 3GS users will be very satisfied, new iPhone users will love the phone, but iPhone 4 users are probably happy, but not "OMG OMG OMG" thrilled.

5. QuesoGrande macrumors newbie

I'm coming from 3G! HUGE upgrade for me. It is a night and day speed difference and not to mention better camera, video and siri/ voice text.

6. OSMac macrumors 65816

Only wish screen was bigger and it was easier to move pics and videos to it.
    iOS 5 has a few issues, like being unable to open links on this site.

This phone is getting surprising high sales numbers can only imagine what a redesigned bigger one will sell like next year.

7. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Coming from an iPhone 4: Meh?

It's worth the price to upgrade for me since I sold my iPhone 4. It is snappier and the white phone is sexy.

But it's not much different than the 4. Obviously, coming from a 3GS or 3G would be a world of difference.

iOS is still limited, so I am anxiously awaiting the jailbreak.

8. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I came from an iPhone 4 and it's nice, mostly the larger space and things are a bit smoother.

My wife came from a 3GS and thinks it is great. Faster, way better screen, games are much smoother, Siri is brilliant and she is happy...

Lastly my son came from a 3G and cant believe it! Fast, responsive, great screen, way better for games and facebook, and he loves using Siri.

My daughter "upgraded" from a crappy Samsung touch screen phone to my old iPhone 4 and she thinks the games are awsome too, although she did have an ipod touch (latest gen) which she used before that.

9. theperipheral macrumors 6502

I had the 4, and I have to say that functionality wise, it's a bit snappier...definitely the picture-taking ability, but overall, it feels very similar to the 4 in the experience of it.

I was bored with the 4 so that's really the big reason I upgraded from a black 4 to a white 4S and I have to say that the white is DEFINITELY sexier. It somehow makes the screen feel bigger to me. I also very much like the improved vibration from my att 4 to the new 4S. it feels very different to me, bouncier is the only word i can use to describe it. i love that.

siri is pretty awesome, too. i actually use her quite a bit. when i'm bored, she's cool to talk to just to find out random stuff, but when i just want to do something quick like set an alarm, or make a note, whatever it is, i feel like it gets done much quicker using her than it would to unlock, open the app, type it all out. she really does do a very good job of transcribing my words.

overall, i'd say that i'm happy with the improvements in speed and the look of the white, but i'm definitely not feeling a night and day improvement or anything.

10. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Coming from a launch-day 3GS, here are my impressions:

- The screen is fantastic. Everything is sharper, clearer, and more defined. The colors seem to pop off the screen, especially when viewing photos. Retina is all it's cracked up to be.

- Camera is shockingly good. I've taken a few photos that look better than digital cameras I've owned in the past. Remarkable how far we've come from the old cameras in flip phones as recently as 5-6 years ago.

- Applications move in and out much quicker than on the 3GS -- makes flipping around from program to program a much better experience.

- Haven't noticed any increased 3G speed. I think HSPA+ is a marketing gimmick, honestly. If there's a real-world difference for 3G use, I haven't seen it.

- I have an Otterbox Defender on the phone, and I wish I didn't need it. Glass is just a terrible choice for a phone.

- The speaker on the 4S is louder than any phone I've ever owned. I've actually had to set the ringer volume down from max because it's too loud. That's excellent.

- Siri is neat, but it needs more functionality than just setting meetings, replying to texts, and handling alarms/timers. I thought I'd be using Siri a lot, but the real truth is that Siri just doesn't do much. I hope that Apple is busy incorporating more things into it. I'd like to see Siri get tied into apps like ESPN ScoreCenter (getting sports scores / stats on the fly) and Flixster (finding showtimes and buying tickets), sites like Expedia and OpenTable (getting flight times/price, dinner reservations), and do a better job of managing things people use a smartphone for.

For a lot of us, a Smartphone isn't about keeping a meeting schedule or reminders -- it's a way to access information and make our lives easier on the go. Siri should do more than just be the Ms. Landingham for everyone.

- Geofrencnig Reminders seems like a battery drain. I'd like it to also add more features like setting the phone to silent automatically when you enter certain places (like work) or reminding you to do things when you come into proximity with other people who are using iPhones (remind me to tell Dan that I need his money for the trip when I see him).

- Love iOS5, but still missing some jailbreak features (infidock / 5 item dock, LockInfo to name a few) that I'll want to add as soon as a jailbreak is available.

Overall, I'm happy with my choice to upgrade.

11. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Probably going to return my Sprint 4S and stick with my att 4 until next year. Sprints network is horrendous (just as I guessed) and Siri can't even connect half the time when I'm away from wifi driving (which is probably the only useful place for Siri). However, I'm interested to see what the Nexus Prime brings. It may just be enough for me to finally jump off iOS to android...

12. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

I'm very pleased with how much faster the 4s is compared to the 4.

13. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

I upgraded from a 3GS and Droid X, so it's a big difference for me. Photos are significantly better than my Droid X (and way better than the 3GS), performance is way better than both my Droid X and 3GS, battery life is better, screen quality is better and apps (especially games) look incredible on the 4S. The notifications and reminders are great as well.All in all, I really love this phone more than any other phone I've owned.

So far, I've only encountered two issues. The first involved not being able to sync songs to the iPhone. I received a warning that left the songs grayed out on the device; I finally figured out that I had to reset the warnings in order to have iTunes try the sync again. It worked then.

The other issue was compass interference when using the maps/GPS on my phone. This might have been due to the area I was using it in (very busy and on Verizon's network). It works fine now, however.

14. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

coming from the 3gs I'm thrilled to bits with my 4s
    bit scared to hold it though incase i drop it, dropped my 3gs twice and it survived. not so sure the 4s will

15. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

Just put it in a case and it'll be fine if dropped.

16. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

You're evaluation is quite accurate. It's a nice but modest, incremental update.

The best aspect of iPhone 4S is it's over, and now we can focus on the major upgrade in the next phone, which will be released with a very nice increase in screen size, making iPhone a better user experience.

I seriously doubt Apple will remain complacent and fail to incorporate a larger display.

17. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Same here. I couldn't agree more.

18. gillybean macrumors 6502a

coming from 3gs i've been most impressed with the retina display. side-to-side, everything just looks much better on the 4s than it did on the 3gs.

the camera is also nice, and the speeds that I'm getting are now good enough that even at home I just leave 3G on instead of switching to wifi.

19. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

After reading all the preorder madness the last several days, I have to say that after owning the phone for 3 days, it's still just a phone and the excitement tends to wear off pretty quickly, at least for me.

I'm coming from a 3Gs, and I owned that iphone longer than any other I've owned. I've had an iphone since the orignal and what I love most about this phone is the display. While small, the colors are amazing. I agree that for those with iP4's, the 4s is a modest upgrade at best. For folks like me, it's a nice step up.

20. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

Coming from a 3GS myself - big difference. Camera is actually usable, Siri is pretty cool, Safari is a LOT faster, earpiece and speakerphone volume is much better. Very happy, plus I switched to Verizon for coverage reasons. Some hit on network performance, but the web experience is still better due to the much faster rendering in Safari. Screen is a big difference from the GS as well.

My general rule is upgrade on every other iOS device release. I'm planning on something similar on the iPad (currently on gen 1, waiting on gen 3)

21. tigerfan41 macrumors regular

Yep, this is my rule as well. I won't be getting the 5, but I will probably get the 5S (or whatever they call the iPhone that comes after the 5). It's too expensive to upgrade with every single new iOS device.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Coming from a Verizon Thunderbolt, my impressions are:

1. The screen is TINY. Tiny tiny tiny.
    2. My battery lasts me a whole work day. (Yay!).
    3. The screen is tiny.
    4. The integration with iCloud and Siri are really useful features.
    5. Did I mention the screen is tiny? :rolleyes:
    6. Data speeds on AT&T are consistently 2-4MBPs down and 1-2MBps up. Verizon was 10-15MBps down when it worked, which wasn't very often. Most of the time I was stuck in 3G at 1-2MBPs down.
    7. I'm glad I'm back, except for the tiny little screen.