So, am I being silly to consider the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by B1rdman, Aug 21, 2008.

1. B1rdman macrumors newbie

I've been dreaming about macs ever since I realized my parents were going to chip in and help me buy a laptop for college. They've agreed to cover 1,000 of it. (I had to do a lot to convince them to go from 500-1000, lol)

I am probably just going to be web browsing, writing papers, and just doing basic tasks on my mac notebook, and although I realize these tasks can be completed more than well enough on a macbook, I'm leaning heavily towards the pro. Here are some of my main reasons:

1. (And this is probably most important) Is the 15in screen size. Honestly, this might make me crazy to have this as my top priority, but for college I'm in a tiny dorm room so I imagine I will be doing most of my studying in the library or at various venues around campus, not in the dorm room, which eliminates my idea of a macbook and an external display. Thus, I feel if I go with a mac notebook it needs to be one with a larger screen! I honestly find the 13.3 inch screen to be far too small for extended/efficient use.

2. OSX. Now this is my reason for macbookpro/macbook over all other laptops I've considered (such as the Dell XPS line). I want a nice laptop for the best price, and I know apple's are known for high prices, but I;ve taken a long hard look at OSX and I feel the price is worth it.

3. Extra features. The discrete graphics, as noted with my uses, are obviously not a necessity, but one cannot deny they are a nice add-on. If I ever do stoop back into windows for some gaming I'll have a little more power, although one reason I even want a mac is so I'm swayed away from gaming while in college! need to focus on more important things! ;)

Other extra features such as the backlit keyboard and such small things as DVI over mini-DVI and such are what sway me in the macbookpro direction. Am I right to consider it, or am I being foolish not to just grab a macbook and leave it at that? I'd get the educational discount and a free ipod if I get it before the 15th, but the waiting issue is a while nother ballgame. It looks like I won't be able to get the updated version since I need to go back to school Sept. 18th or so.

So yeah, just looking for input on my decision on the MBP over all other options. As usual, sorry for my long initial post, thanks in advance for your responses!

2. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi :)

I'd say apart from the screen size, your mad to go for a MBP. And if you want screen size, get the 17" hi-def version.

Personally, in your situation, with parents paying a load towards it, I would save the extra and get an Air. It sounds like you will be wanting to carry it around a lot and work away from a desk etc etc. And the Air will keep you away from playing games and on track with your work.

I have the 17" hi-def (bought to replace a desktop) and wish I had an Air for taking with me places that just don't need the power of the MBP. Though my iPhone takes care of much of that need, its not quite there yet.

Hopeful helpful,

Doug

3. rogerw macrumors 6502

just get it
    ive got 1 and we got one for my eldest when she started college.
    I used to have an ibook, which was a pile of crap (reliability wise). A repair man said they dont get many issues with the professional line of comps, so replaced it with a MBP when they 1st came out, never regretted it, and thats why I did the same for my daughter.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I agree with Doug, the Air would be a much better choice for someone off to college. It has the best battery life so it will work well with a full day's worth of classes. It has a beautiful screen, the size won't be an issue unless you're working in Final Cut or Aperture (get both if you go for the pro they're sweet apps ;) ) And it's way more portable than it looks, you can take it just about anywhere and totally forget it's in your bag.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Normally, I think waiting is unnecessary, as speed increases don't really affect me. Things like the amount of RAM, and HDD size, would have an impact.

Despite that, I'd consider waiting this time. If the new MBP is a complete redesign, it would be heartbreaking if you really love the new design and the features of the new machine. On the other hand, if you don't like it, or you're indifferent, you can still buy a current 15" MBP, but at a cheaper price. Not having a laptop at the start of uni isn't a really big deal, IMO. You can put up with the uni computer labs for a few weeks. After all, not every single student has a laptop, and they're fine. Just go to a computer lab, and you'll see that this is true. Computer labs are usually well occupied. ;)

Besides, it would only be for the first few weeks.

But if he's living in a dorm room, I think the best thing to do is to have an ethernet port, and an MBA doesn't have one. Like it or not, ethernet ports are still very useful.

6. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Go pro, the macbook looks cheap, no backlit keyboard, the glossy screen is poor, resolution is poor. Both white or black the plastic breaks, discolors, or shows grease. Take your pick. I would always go pro, I do nothing pro on mine purely web, itunes and iphoto.

7. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

Go for the MBP. The build quality and component quality is superior to the MBs on the pro models, and it will serve you for many years to come. I have a 12" PB that was my main computer for 6+ years and now still has much activity as my away from home machine - it just keeps running perfectly.

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

It seems that you have thought a lot about this, and I think that you should go for the MacBook Pro.

I was in a similar predicament like you. I did a lot of video editing in high school and wanted a machine that could keep up with me if I ever decided to get back into it, but the priority was mobility and price.

I contemplated my decision for about 4 months while I saved for it and when I had enough to go buy it I was a little nervous but looking back on that, I feel I couldn't have a better system.

What I enjoy most is the idea that I have an incredibly powerful, beautifully-built machine that I can move around.

9. Brianstorm91 macrumors 65816

Brianstorm91

Don't worry, you're not alone - I'm a student and have gone from wanting a MBP to wanting an iMac, and at the moment I'm somehow after both a MBP and an ACD when I know full well that a MB would probably suffice and a MB with an LCD would be much more sensible (with my beige trousers on) since my parents aren't so kind on the monetary front :( but heck, Apple stuff is infectious ;)

10. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Whatever you go for you won't regret it! However, I chose the Black MacBook, possibly in it's final model, and it will do everything you need.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

If screen size is the deciding factor, your mind is already made up for you. If you can afford it, get it. You'll have a great machine for the next 5-6 years.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have rarely regretted OVERbuying,
    but there have been times I have seriously regretted UNDERbuying

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Go Pro. No question about it. Here's why:

-College is 4 years. You want something that won't be trudging along at the end of that, you want something that will last through that. Thats why when buying a computer ALWAYS buy a little more then what you think you need.

-Durability. You will be hauling this thing everywhere most likely. Plastic on the macbooks naturally wont be as strong as the aluminum on the pro's. Also the mbp are not heavy to carry around. If someone thinks they are they're being a *****.

-Screen is better on the mbp

-Backlit keyboard would be really nice when typing in a dark dormroom

I used to work in electronics retail and always saw this delemma with people going to school and I always told people to buy a step above what they thought they needed. I have a mbp and I absolutley love it.

14. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

It is a great machine, and it is always nice to be able to game a bit when you need a release. I say do it.

15. puma25uk macrumors member

That's great advice right there! I personally have a pro too, and this thing is incredibly lighter and thinner compared with previous PC laptops I had, plus it oozes quality all round. If you spec up a MB to the same level as a basic MBP, you'll see the price difference is not all that great, especially considering the bigger screen size on the MBP, and the discrete graphics (which may be useful on the odd weekend ;))

16. eviltobz macrumors member

i recently got a lappy for making my 2 hour commute to work a bit more bearable. i was hugely tempted by the air for its size and weight whilst i have to carry it to the train station, but ultimately ended up with the basic mbp. the main deciding factor for me was the screen, so i'd say that is absolutely not a crazy top priority. having a bit of extra power is also nice as i run logic pro 8 on it from time to time, but even the most basic of computers these days are phenominally powerful for basic web, productivity and multimedia things so screen size is one of the most important differentiating features between different models.

given that i have a 30" monitor hooked up to my mac pro at home, and an iphone for pocketable portability the 15" seemed just right. were it to be my only computer though i'd have gone for the 17" high res model as you can never have enough screen space, so i'd recommend looking into that.

17. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Get the Pro, but don't get it quite yet. Wait till the end of September if you can.

Overall component quality down to the transistors/resistors, etc... they use in the Pro models are of higher quality than in the normal consumer notebooks.

FYI...Macs aren't really more expensive either. Take the Specs of a Macbook Pro (or MacPro) and build something like a Dell Precision Laptop or Higher end Inspiron, you'll see. I say those two machines because you'll want to compare overall quality of components as equally as possible.

I've done quite a bit of research on this because I'm putting together a "business case" for switching my design/marketing group to Mac within our company. I've been a mac user for years who's trapped using a PC at work...As are our other designers, we all hate it, but our upper management and IT personnel are too uneducated about Mac to let us buy them and switch.

They'll see.

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Pro, definitely :)

It is what you REALLY want, judging by your post. If you get a MB, you'll never be happy with it and always think "How it would be to own a Pro..." etc

Not to mention the Pro has soooo much stuff that makes it a far superior to the MB!

(From my experience: I was given a MB for my birthday, although I wanted a Pro, I thought it was still fine and I'm really greatful for this present. Ever since, the longer I had it, the more I wanted either a Pro, or the last gen G4 PowerBook (basically same case, KB, display). Now that my iMac will soon need to be replaced by something newer, I'm lost between getting a new iMac OR selling this MB and getting a MBP (new or used). Morale of the story: get something you really want, otherwise you'll end up regretting your decision)

19. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

I only really needed a MB myself, and the Air design isn't up to my taste. The Macbook Pro, man oh man ... it is a beauty. IF you decide to get the Macbook Pro, you will be happy you did. :D Good luck!

20. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes for your needs, the MBP will be a great machine!

22. AGIPSY macrumors regular

I just went through the exact same dilemma and chose the pro. i got it a few days ago and i absolutely love it! no regrets whatsoever. I like it way more than my friends' macbooks. it'll be great for college.

23. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Notice how you posted this in the MBP forum. Of course you are going to get a certain response. I have to say that the speed difference isn't really an issue, dedicated graphics are going to make the MBP run even hotter than the MB, it's a heavier machine, more expensive, and has less battery life. Though the weight and battery are close. (MBP is good in this area). The main difference in the MB vs. the MBP is the lack of a dedicated graphics card. There are advantages and disadvantages to having one in a notebook. The display of the MBP is also better (if you need it).

Plus, if you wait until September you will get more for your money whether you buy the MB or MBP. There are people that buy the MBP for the design/aluminum. If the MB goes to aluminum next month it is a moot point. I'd say wait to see what comes out then decide from there.

24. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I didn't even read any replies past the "get an air for college" posts.

seriously.

do
    not
    ****ing
    get
    a
    macbook air
    for college.

there are so many reasons why this is a terrible idea I don't even know where to begin.

get a refurb macbook pro and be happy.

25. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

What's one single reason? If he's not doing any media work, just email and document editing, then the air is more than enough.