Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
That's real nice! I think you just made my mind up for me! Will go nice with my Gold 6 Plus.

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers - the 'gold' for me is a matter of taste, as I personally would call it closer to a rose gold finish than a yellow gold. Exactly the same shade as the new iPhone 6/6+.

For me, that's a bit more dignified than the bog-standard gold painted colour we see on so many other manufacturers devices (I'll name no names...but you can probably guess).

----------

We need a banana for scale.

I just had my last one I'm afraid. Raisins?

----------

You beat me. All I have is a UPS tracking number, to be updated with delivery time later today. It should be here I a day or two.....

My wife and I each bought an Air last November, and I ordered the same color and 128GB as last year. I must be crazy..... :D

I picked it up at 3.30pm here (UK), so I guess we just benefit from the time zone differences. Fingers crossed you get yours before 3.30pm your time!

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Syncing

Right, I've ticked everything to sync, so bear with me for a bit while I have a play!

I'll be back later to share experiences. Feel free to post any questions here and I'll strive to answer them when I'm back. Thanks for all the replies so far :)

----------

It's iOS 8's fault, not yours. It's a known bug. I'm just being surprised it lives in 8.1 update.

I didn't know that! Photo was taken with my iPhone 5. If I ignore what you just told me and blame the device, it's a good excuse to get a 6+, right? ;)

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Any issue with pink/purple tinting (anti-reflective coating)? Noticed one reviewer said it was noticeable.

Looks great.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I didn't know that! Photo was taken with my iPhone 5. If I ignore what you just told me and blame the device, it's a good excuse to get a 6+, right? ;)

I think as a photographer, Optical Image Stabilization is a pretty good excuse to get 6+. Thinks of great low light shots you'll have. :D

tx2005

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
I also received my Gold iPad Air 2 Wifi this morning (located in NY).

You are the first US based person I've seen say they got their iPad today (it's still early of course). It seems like most are expecting tomorrow or Friday. Did you order from Apple?

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Cheers - the 'gold' for me is a matter of taste, as I personally would call it closer to a rose gold finish than a yellow gold. Exactly the same shade as the new iPhone 6/6+.

Isn't it champagne gold Apple call it? Anyway, Apple is doing a good job with the gold color. When they first came up with the idea of gold color, I expected it would be blingy striking looks but it turned out to be subtle & elegant.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Eh, glad I'm not getting the gold. Going to visit an Apple store over lunch to see if they have it yet.

tx2005

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
Eh, glad I'm not getting the gold. Going to visit an Apple store over lunch to see if they have it yet.

Let us know if you have any luck. If you do I might go ahead and drive to a couple nearby myself.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2010
You are the first US based person I've seen say they got their iPad today (it's still early of course). It seems like most are expecting tomorrow or Friday. Did you order from Apple?

I live in CT and mine says Out For Delivery!!

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
Any issue with pink/purple tinting (anti-reflective coating)? Noticed one reviewer said it was noticeable.

Looks great.

I have definitely not noticed this.

I've been flicking through some photos stored on iCloud while I wait for the sync to finish, including a whole series of pictures of my partner against a white background. I would imagine if it was noticeable, it would be particularly noticeable on the white background.

Upgrading from the iPad Mini Retina, I can honestly say the screen on the Air2 has exceeded my expectations. Photographers are going to love it.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY

Yes, ordered from Apple..It shipped yesterday from PA

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
I think as a photographer, Optical Image Stabilization is a pretty good excuse to get 6+. Thinks of great low light shots you'll have. :D

This is my reasoning too. I have quite literally been to the Apple Store every day for the past fortnight playing with the 6+. My head tells me that I have my Canon, and no phone can match the picture quality of that, but the temptation is definitely there...Maybe next week I'll crack and buy the thing!

----------

Isn't it champagne gold Apple call it? Anyway, Apple is doing a good job with the gold color. When they first came up with the idea of gold color, I expected it would be blingy striking looks but it turned out to be subtle & elegant.

I do think the shade of gold has changed (in a good way!) from the iPhone 5S to what we have now in the iPhone 6/6+ and new iPads. Champagne gold is a good description, first time I've heard it referred to as that.

----------

Welcome to MacRumors adamthomasjones. Ignore the haters. Enjoy your new iPad. ;)

Thanks man, I will!

----------

I also received my Gold iPad Air 2 Wifi this morning (located in NY).

Thoughts on it so far? I notice from your signature that you had the Air, any major noticeable differences for you?

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Let us know if you have any luck. If you do I might go ahead and drive to a couple nearby myself.

Went to the store at the Eaton Center in downtown Toronto. No iPad Air 2s on display or on sale yet. A guy who works there told me he had no idea when it was coming, they're just expecting it to show up one morning. Said to check back in the next couple of days.

bwsteg

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2012
Queens NY
This is my reasoning too. I have quite literally been to the Apple Store every day for the past fortnight playing with the 6+. My head tells me that I have my Canon, and no phone can match the picture quality of that, but the temptation is definitely there...Maybe next week I'll crack and buy the thing!

----------

I do think the shade of gold has changed (in a good way!) from the iPhone 5S to what we have now in the iPhone 6/6+ and new iPads. Champagne gold is a good description, first time I've heard it referred to as that.

----------

Thanks man, I will!

----------

Thoughts on it so far? I notice from your signature that you had the Air, any major noticeable differences for you?

To be honest and for my personal usage, it's the exact same thing as the iPad Air except for a few minor cosmetic differences.

awests

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Bay Area, CA

----------

----------

Thanks man, I will!

----------

What iOS version did it come with? 8.0.2 or 8.1?

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
So I've had a good go at different tasks now, so can comment a bit more constructively.

Safari
What a difference 2gb of RAM has made here. You can switch back and forth from various apps to Safari, and no reloading, even with multiple tabs. Smooth to say the least.

Screen
A great improvement - not that there was much wrong in the first place (I moved from Retina Mini). This is a dream for me as a hobbyist photographer. There simply isn't a better tablet screen anywhere else. It will also be even better than before for showing photos. Next step for iPad can only be to 4K - my tiny mind can't fathom how they could possibly improve the clarity of the picture any further! I've no concerns with yellowing/distortion etc (to date any way!)

Audio Playback
Here comes a slight negative for me - music playback, there is quite a bit of vibration in the device, both on screen side and back, when playing music - starting at around 50% volume level. No distortion to sound itself, but a touch irritating to hold the device or place in your lap when listening to audio. I played a bit of Republique, and you can literally feel the footsteps by the guards in one scene. Unintentional haptic feedback? I guess it's the price of thinness - not sure I heard many reports of this with last year's Air though? I've certainly noticed the difference between the iPad Mini and Air 2 in this respect.

Gaming
As good as you'd expect. Smooth, fast, graphics slightly improved over the Mini Retina, but then again, this was in playing games nearly a year old. There must be potential for more apps to unlock the graphical capabilities (I'm not much of an iPad gamer so can't test any recent games to be honest). I tested Republique, can't say I noticed any exceptional difference in this device compared to last years.

Still to test cameras - I think we know where we stand with those though!

----------

How did this get 11 up votes? Sad

OP, I got mine today and it's amazing. The display and speed are incredible. Love it.

I concur! Only slight negative is the 'feel' of audio through the device. No sound distortion, but definite vibration around the speakers on front and back of the device. Have you noticed this?

adamthomasjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2014
thank you for the info!! how about battery? whats your opinion?

I think it would be a touch unfair to comment right now, as I've been using it solidly for the last 1hr45mins on multiple tasks - I'm down to 92%, with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on. If I were to make a prediction on usage in normal circumstances, I'd say it was comparable to the Mini Retina I've just moved from - certainly no better than last years devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.