So, Anyone regret getting the 13?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by h00ligan, Jul 30, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Since we have the 11 thread, what about the counter points... though it seems that thread is mostly filled with 'no it's the greatest laptop ever' :D

So - anyone regret it? I don't, at this point.. though I am wavering to the point it may be a better iPad/old laptop replacement.. the lack of battery life has me cautious and the lack of sd stinks.

2. misterneums macrumors 6502

After Anandtech published their review--there were only really two options in my mind. i7 11" or i5 13". The 13" just seems a bit more practical than the 11". The battery life, screen resolution, and SD card helped me make my decision. The Best Buy Trade-In pushed me the rest of the way.

3. sparkhill macrumors regular

A little bit... After owning a 2010 11.6" MBA since it was released, I miss the portability of the 11" now that I have the 13". The slight size/weight difference is noticeable to me.

On the other hand, I have an iPad, which I use for most of my web surfing, and an iMac as my primary computer. The laptop is reserved for real computer work (primarily complex Excel spreadsheets) that must be done on-the-go and the extra screen real estate makes the 13" much more tolerable.

My wife converted from her MacBook to my old 11" MBA and loves the size. The 11" screen is small, especially for the over-40 crowd. It sounds crazy, but the 13" is big and heavy compared to 11". Ultimately, everyone's going to have their own opinion based on how they use the laptop. You can't go wrong with either one.

4. misterneums macrumors 6502

I quite agree with this.

5. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

Love the extra screen real estate, no regrets on the 13" here.

6. CharlieBraun macrumors newbie

Exchanged the 11" for the 13". Had to hunch over the 11" constantly, and it was impossible for me to work comfortably at a desk. However, the 13" fits like a glove. The extra vertical screen space makes a big difference imo. :)

7. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

11" = netbook.

13" = replaced my 17" MBP and 12.1" HP tablet (using Win7 Bootcamp).

Sorry, but an 11", while cute, just doesn't have the wherewithal to be a real primary machine. It's like an iPad 2.1. Cute, small and light, but silly as a main machine.

Admit it already folks. The 11" is simply an AAPL netbook :confused:

I mean, Jesus, how is the 13" not portable?????

8. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Nope, not true.

You even doubt yourself when you said "it sounds crazy."

In no way whatsoever are the ounces between a 11 and 13 MBA noticeable in real life.

Sorry, try again. :rolleyes:

9. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

In my opinion...

The 11-inch is for those who actually want portability.

The 13-inch is a normal laptop, just slightly lighter for around-the-house kind of moving.

There really is a big difference between the two. I personally went with the 13-inch. The SSD, thin profile, and high screen resolution was perfect for me. It's also my only computer so I wanted a decently sized screen.

10. PaulWog Suspended

I went with an 11-inch. I felt like if I went with the 13-inch Air, I might as well get the 13-inch Pro instead. But that's just me.

11. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I love my 13". I looked at the 11" in the stores. I prefer the 13" much to the 11" for what I use the 13" for. However, many people may find that the 11" is more suitable to their needs.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Someone needs to get over themselves. The 11" and 13" can be configured identically. Anything the 13" can do - the 11' can do.

Apple makes two different sizes because it knows it's consumers have 'personal preferences' and doesn't penalize them for it.

Your comments are just silly. You do not need to make yourself feel better about your own purchasing choice by belittling those that chose differently.

13. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

No regrets - yet! :)

I've just made a conscious decision to avoid a lot of the 'does your MBA have x/y/z problem?' threads from now on as I want to make my own judgements on it (though I'm going to have to listen to the speakers properly now as I read that thread earlier!!) I have an LG screen in mine (which seems perfectly fine and lovely to me) and a Samsung SSD (which is very nippy indeed.)

It's my first Mac so I may not have much reference to draw on but I have to say, so far so good. It seems fast, cool, quiet and very responsive. One of the main reasons I went for an MBA was as an iPad (first gen) replacement. I've enjoyed using the latter but I have big, stubby fingers which has meant prodding the screen to navigate or edit text has given me some issues in the past. The screen also gets greasy really quickly so I've gone off touch-screens. I wanted a trackpad and a keyboard.

The worst problem I've had so far with the MBA is with Wifi wrinkles but I've assigned a manual address and that seems to have settled the problem down. From reading around, that seems to be a Lion issue for some people not the model of Mac. The one minor negative thing I've found is that the 13" is perhaps just a little too small for me. As mentioned above, I'm quite a hefty chap (I'm a former Prop Rugby player) and I tried the 2010 Air models numerous times in an Apple Store and found the 11" too small for comfort but the 13" was great. I only really notice it when using the 13" MBA on my lap - something I never tried in store - as it seems like it'll fall between my thighs unless I try to put my knees together! :D A cushion sorts this out though and it's only a very minor grumble and not a problem at all on a desk. I find it very comfortable to type on regardless.

I'll be watching with interest to see whether the rumoured thin 15" or 17" models do appear - that'll purely be physical size thing for me - but at the moment I have zero regrets; my MBA is a thing of beauty. :)

14. racketeer71 macrumors regular

1366x768 vs. 1440x900, or 24% more pixels. "Identical", right....

15. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

16. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

To those that say the weight difference is negligible, I agree but the MBA11 has a small profile. This combined with the reduced weight make it more portable.

To those that say the MBA11 cannot be used as a primary machine, it can do anything a MBP can therefore it can be used as a primary machine.

To those that say the 11" screen is too small, you may find that but other do not.

The MBA is smallest fully fledged apple laptop you can buy. If you dont need the portability then the 13" is a better compromise. If you need heavy lifting on the go then get a MBP.

Different things for different people!

17. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Not completely identically.. I wish my 11" had the same battery life as the 13"

18. sprockett macrumors member

no regrets whatsoever.

previously, programming / surfing etc had always been an "in my room" desktop affair. My desktop had previously been my MAIN pc. Now the MBA is my main PC.

with the MBA, I'm bringing it EVERYWHERE, and its really a refreshing change, u really need to experience it to believe it. Its light weight plays a big part of the experience. I previously had a mb 13 inch unibody, and i rarely took it out.

Now i bring it EVERYWHERE. and to have the full desktop functionality EVERYWHERE is amazing.

13inch imho is essential. Better batt life and screen real estate. The battery life of the 13 i feel is JUST enough for portable use... (few hours at a coffee shop with more juice to spare). The added bulk doesn't really affect me.

11inch could also work i guess, but u'll get poorer battery life, and if u intend for it to be your MAIN COMPUTER at home, you probably might want to get a wide screen monitor to hook up when ur home. For me, 13 inch is just about right.

19. TC25 macrumors 68020

It's nice to see this thread is just like the other one, i.e., some people can't resist insulting people who bought the MBA11. :rolleyes:

20. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I still have a 2010 13" MBA, and I lifted it off my desk last night, and I was struck at how relatively heavy it is, compared to my 11". I don't believe that most people contend that the 13" is not portable, just that the 11" is much more, at least that is my opinion.

21. TC25 macrumors 68020

Don't waste your time debating people who are so insecure in their own decisions they can only find satisfaction in belittling others.

22. Project macrumors 68020

After a long time thinking about it I went with the 11". Couldn't be happier. Full screen mode is a real benefit. Resolution is higher than my old 13" MacBook. And of course the portability is exceptional. Not just for travel, but sitting with it on the couch, in bed etc.

23. Metzgermeister macrumors member

Metzgermeister

Coming from an old 15" MBP to a 13" i7 MBA is a big difference! Never considered buying an 11". I don't really want to compare an air with an iPad.
    An iPad for traveling and the 13" to work on for longer periods works fine for mer. So I think I am already portable enough. My laptop case which I usually take with me on a plane suddenly seems empty.. A lot lighter as well!

24. mortenandersen, Jul 31, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

mortenandersen macrumors 6502

A real dilemma...

This is a real dilemma also for me...

I am used to a small Vaio TZ (with 11,1 inches screen, SSD and optical drive), but now it's 5 years old - and, although it's still working fine, it's beginning to be old, full and slow (with Vista...). I have in fact used this as my primary computer, and have been travelling a lot, so weight and size matter a lot for me. But, on the other hand, also a big enough screen and keyboard (most for wordprocessing - Office Word 2003, and 2011 now for Mac, I think) are very important for my everyday use.

Only based on pictures so far, I think the Air 11,6 has a good keyboard (also compared to the 13,3 one, but I am afraid that the screen will turn out to be a bit too small. (BTW, I have tried the Vaio P too, with its very high resolution and with an 8 inches "widescreen": The letters on that screen are far to small to me to read without taking a really close look (exept in Word where one can enlarge them a lot in an easy manner) and further, the Vaio P keyboard is far too "crampy", small and with some very badly located keys.)

So, back to the present dilemma: MacBook Air 11,6 or 13,3: As weight and footprint matter much for me, I have so far been tempted by the 11,6, because of its portability and wow factor. But now I am much more uncertain: The better battery time and bigger screen of the 13,3 make me more and more really consider that model.

Also the factors of heat and especially fan noise are very important.

On this basis, I am very interested to read about the experiences that users in the real everyday situations have to share.

One other thing also: I read somewhere that there would be color options - also a white one. Is this correct?

25. sparkhill macrumors regular

On alternatining days, place the 11" and 13" in a lightweight briefcase (one with a single handle, not a shoulder strap), carry them around all day, and then tell me you still don't notice the difference. I was surprised the difference was so noticeable and that is where the "sounds crazy" comment comes from.