So aparently all that complaining has an affect on you

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr. Cabrera, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Let me start by saying that Im not normally a picky person. However after hearing dozens and dozens of people complain about their iPhones I decided to look at my phone a little more closely.

Pros:
    Decent battery life, good 3g reception, good wifi reception, no phyiscal damage ( covered with a invisible shield minutes after purchasing), perfectly flush glass, no plastic cracks

Cons:
    Severe light leakage, 3 dust specs under glass and several, several stuck pixels ( 13 partial / 3 full RGB )

I took some pictures
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Normally I wouldn't complain, but I took a picture of my 24" LCD ( 1920 x1200 pixels) and didn't find A SINGLE dead or stuck pixel. Here's a faraway picture ( i inspected it closely and found nothing)

[​IMG]

I think sadly i will be joining the bandwagon and asking for a replacement phone

when i bought the phone there was zero dust under it, now i think the light leakage = crappy seal = dust under screen

i dont want to be stuck with a phone that will just continue to gather dust

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The stuck pixels alone should get you a replacement. You've got enough for Apple to replace a 15 inch macbook pro monitor. Examine your new phone *very* carefully for this issue and any cosmetic problems before you leave.

3. Joe23 macrumors 6502

That's loads of stuck pixels - certainly enough to warrant a replacement. On my first iPhone I had a green stuck pixel down the right hand edge, barely noticable though so I left it be.

4. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

Let me get this straight.

You have an iPhone with no reported problems.

After reading about other users finding problems, you closely examined your iPhone and found similar problems.

You now want your iPhone replaced.

Correct?

While I don't disagree that an exchange is in order, were the defects really bothering you that much? Is your iPhone now in any way less functional than before you took a close look at it?

6. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

my light leak is about that bad or worst. i would have replaced it by now but living in central california and having the nearest apple store about 45 minutes away with gas above $4 a gallon i haven't had the time or money to go replace it.

7. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

Functionally I do not mind the dead pixels or even the light leakage. What I do mind though is that the light leak is caused by an improper seal between the glass and chrome bezel. When I purchased the phone I inspected it and found zero dust particles under the glass. Now after owning it I have already found 3 large particles of dust and a few tiny ones. My concern Is that the device will continue to collect dust, who knows how much in the next two years. Therefore it's best to get one with a proper seal from the get go. Does that make rational sense?

8. sh0ckerturb0 macrumors member

sh0ckerturb0

9. Dr. Cabrera thread starter macrumors 65816

Update

Pros and cons

Pros: New Iphone has zero dead pixels

Cons: Dust still under screen, Light leakage just as bad

SERIOUS CON - Tried backing phone up, old backup was corrupt

In conclusion DO NOT REPLACE your iPhone if you have a few specks of dust or light leakage, they all pretty much have some