So, Aperture has a problem...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by soLoredd, May 15, 2009.

1. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

Ok, so I did some searching on the net after I was encountering this issue: whenever I export to .jpg from Aperture, I get a 72dpi file. No matter how I set my settings for export its the same. I found some other people having the same issue and this has reportedly been going on for at least a year's time now. The only "fix" is to strip the photo of meta data and then do an export - and that will allow a 300dpi export.

Any of you guys having this problem as well? Apparently, Apple still has not fixed this problem. I can open up the same RAW file in LR and export with 300dpi with all meta data intact.

2. JDDavis macrumors 65816

JDDavis

I just took a look at mine. I downloaded a full .jpg that I had uploaded to Zenfolio using Aperture and it was at 300 dpi. Whenever I export at full size .jpg they are at 300 dpi. I've never messed with the metadata. If I export at 50% .jpg then they are at 72 dpi. I don't seem to be having the problem you are. Here are a few screen shots. The first is a pic exported at full size to .jpg (I opened it in Photoshop to get the info) and another of my aperture settings. Hope it helps?

Attached Files:

• dpi.jpg
      dpi.jpg
      File size:
      130 KB
      Views:
    • dpi2.jpg
      dpi2.jpg
      File size:
      202.2 KB
      Views:
  3. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply, JDDavis. I'll take a look again at my settings when I get home. Could be that my settings aren't in fact correct. :eek:

4. soLoredd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, indeed, my settings were not correct. All of my export settings were at 72 dpi, so I changed the JPEG - Original to 300 dpi and all is well.

Thanks again.

5. toxic macrumors 68000

there are few things more meaningless than dpi on a digital image.

your only concern for printing is the number of pixels. dpi will take care of itself - if you have a 1000x1500px image printed to 4x6", you get 250dpi. take the same file and print an 8x12, and you get 125dpi.