Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
See here:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-mini-confirmed-by-samsung-chief-for-october-11

I predicted a flood of 4" phones now. Hopefully they realise too big is not what people want.

Um, Samsung had a 4" screen phone with the Galaxy S 1. The 4" GS3 mini was made mostly for i think Germany where it is prefered but should make its way around to other countrys.

4" is still too small IMO. 4.3" should be the starting point. Though i like my GS3 and its 4.8" screen, if i went down id prefer to go no lower than 4.5"

The GS3 is a great phone so if they wanted to make it with two different size screens, i think its a good idea.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I used s3 and its too huge to operate as a phone.
I think this might be the perfect thing to eat into Apple's market share, which is a good thing because then Apple will offer better features for lower prices. Competition

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
There was two threads. When they merged it's kind of made it look like that. It's all a bit of a non event really.

Seems like some folks aren't happy to believe anyone would want a big screen on a phone, whereas those opposing folks can't seem to believe anyone would want anything smaller. It's all a bit juvenile.

There is personal preference and subjective opinion, there is no right and wrong because it could be right for a, wrong for b and vice versa. Just silliness, people arguing for sake of arguing.

It's a good thing that there are so many phones available with so many different sizes of screens. I'm sure anyone will be able to find a screen size they are happy with.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
galaxy s3 mini is a budget phone just with the galaxy s3 name attached since its a popular seller

People want phones bigger than 4 inch. Those who can't afford it settle with 4 inch

Stop this stupid genererlisation.

People who can't afford? I just paid €900 for an iPhone 5.

If I could get the S3 or One X fully packed into similar dimensions I'd pay for that too. As it is my iPhone 5 is now my main phone and my HTC one X is my MP3 player and a development tool.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
People want phones bigger than 4 inch. Those who can't afford it settle with 4 inch

First we have fanboy that says that people wants iPhone and those that can't afford them buy Android phones

Now we have fanboys that says that people wants phones bigger than 4" and those that can't afford them buy smaller phones

HappyJB

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Just a shameful use of marketing by Samsung here. This phone, with it's crap specs and low res screen, has no business having the words Galaxy SIII mentioned anywhere near anyone describing this phone. This is nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to try and gouge up the low end cell phone market on the back of the Galaxy SIII name.

Would be the same thing if Apple released a crappy netbook and called it a Macbook Pro Mini.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
That's why the screen was only stretched and the width stayed the same... :confused:

Because the extra length will affect the way you reach the top or bottom corners opposite your thumb looking at this picture:

fourinches.jpg

Also, the title:
This Is Why the iPhone’s Screen Will Always Be 3.5 Inches

Always?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I played with a friends S3. Reaching the top wasn't to difficult.

zytutesu.jpg

I consider myself to have average size hands.

The thing is, you rarely need to reach the top left. I play with it for an hour or so and that google search was the only thing, even then you didn't need too because the keyboard popped up to start typing. iOS apps on the other hand usually have a back/cancel button at the top left. Reaching that with a case on the phone requires as much of a hand adjustment as the s3 and the screen is significantly smaller. I don't see apple making anything bigger then 4" without an overhaul on most apps.

Btw typing is just as easy as my 4S maybe even more so since the keys are bigger.

4y6ygury.jpg

Btw please ignore those stupid searches, this friend of mine is a little eccentric.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Once again... freedom of choice. 4.8 too big? 4 too small? Here's a 4.6"

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Mode...II-turns-out-to-be-the-Galaxy-Premier_id35426

Looks pretty good design wise too.

----------

I played with a friends S3. Reaching the top wasn't to difficult.

I consider myself to have average size hands.

The thing is, you rarely need to reach the top left. I play with it for an hour or so and that google search was the only thing, even then you didn't need too because the keyboard popped up to start typing. iOS apps on the other hand usually have a back/cancel button at the top left. Reaching that with a case on the phone requires as much of a hand adjustment as the s3 and the screen is significantly smaller. I don't see apple making anything bigger then 4" without an overhaul on most apps.

Btw typing is just as easy as my 4S maybe even more so since the keys are bigger.

Btw please ignore those stupid searches, this friend of mine is a little eccentric.

Yes. This argument of impossible-one-hand use has always been a myth. It's easier on a smaller device, obviously, but it's not impossible on a device as larger as the S3. We are talking literally a few millimeters of difference in reachability. In fact, the S3 is so thin that I found it somewhat easier to reach for than my smaller Galaxy Nexus.

And you really hit the nail on the head... you just don't have a need to reach the top left corner that often. The dedicated back button is a thing of beauty.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Once again... freedom of choice. 4.8 too big? 4 too small? Here's a 4.6"

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Mode...II-turns-out-to-be-the-Galaxy-Premier_id35426

Looks pretty good design wise too.

----------

Yes. This argument of impossible-one-hand use has always been a myth. It's easier on a smaller device, obviously, but it's not impossible on a device as larger as the S3. We are talking literally a few millimeters of difference in reachability. In fact, the S3 is so thin that I found it somewhat easier to reach for than my smaller Galaxy Nexus.

And you really hit the nail on the head... you just don't have a need to reach the top left corner that often. The dedicated back button is a thing of beauty.

I'm right handed, I just don't put any apps in the top left corner of the screen, I put them in the optimum position for me. Something that can't be done on an iPhone.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Doesn't look bad at all. My only beef with Samsung for releasing so many phones is the way it takes them an age to update the lesser models.

I never was a fan of fragmentation/multiple choices. It only confuses the consumer. Many companies do this type of thing where they would release multiple version of a product with highly any difference with multiple names.

I just looked up Samsung, they have these smart phones:
-S3 -Galaxy Pocket -galaxy S advanced -Wave III -Wave M -Galaxy Y Pro -galaxy W ...the list goes on

Apple has iPhone 5 only.

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's not even a gs3. It's one of their lower end phones like the exhibit 4g or galaxy blaze 4G but with a GS3 outer shell. The Galaxy S2 has better specs than this phone.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Yeah i'm confused by this too.

Why not even 4.3" (GS2) instead of 4.8" (GS3 current).

Rolling back to 4.0" would be sooo Galaxy S 1st gen :rolleyes:

iPhone 5S should be 3.7" just to stick it to them ! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Quite amusing. All their full page ads and tv commercials telling us that the GS3 is so much better because of the bigger screen, and now they are going to come out with a 4 inch screen. Another APPLE WIN!

http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-announces-galaxy-s-iii-mini-with-smaller-size-and-smaller-specs-7000005639/
Where were you when Apple released the 4" screen after telling people for years that 3.5" is the best? Samsung has released a 4" before, is it really shocking they would do it again?

You make it seem like Samsung is copying Apple, where fact is that Apple is playing catch up.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
How dare they give people options so they can choose what is best for them. That is just sneaky business practice.

They should make one device and shove it down everyone's throats, we all know one size fits all.

Thats bad business.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
All Apple competitors play this game: We give you MORE for less$ AND it looks Just like the real thing!

To me, a big phone ceases to be a phone and not something am kin to carry around, and am unanimous on that.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I am loving the iPhone 5 so far, but I would prefer it to be a 5". Would love a beastly iPhone.

Anyway, it seems like Samsung is saying that the 4" screen is inferior to the GS3 screen, putting the mini galaxy and iPhone 5 into the same category.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Apple has iPhone 5 only.

And that right there is the very reason I hate Apple's product line, NO CHOICE. More people than ever are looking at options other than Apple. The people that wanna be spoon fed will more than likely buy Apple, and the people that don't want to be told what to and how to do it (when it comes to their mobile device), will buy something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.