So Apple removes Youtube...

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iBreatheApple, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

You know, I understand that they are wanting to distance themselves, but this was a terrible decision IMO. Just my $.02 but I think many others are going to feel the same.

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Maybe they will release an updated YouTube app finally with ios 6. I doubt it though. It's probably just gone because its google.

3. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I hope so but I really can't see the justification behind removing it now versus when (if) the updated version comes.

4. Tom8 macrumors 6502a

I'd rather Google handle the iOS app. It's clearly never been a priority for apple and has lagged behind it's android counterpart. So what's next for the Google purge? Bing to be default search :p ;)

5. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Good thing IMO. Google can release one via the app store that can be updated easier.

6. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Actually, I never even thought of that. Hopefully Google will release their own app. This would make people who don't ever use YouTube happy as well. +1

7. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

I'm hoping it is temporary while they redesign the app with all of YouTube's new features. But, that's very unlikely because they wouldn't have removed an app before they redesign it. As a YouTuber, it is important for me to have the app. Unless they can make their own video service that competes with YouTube, they could potentially be screwed over this. Even then, YouTube is way more popular than any other video service. Sure, you can still use the mobile website, but it isn't as user friendly as the app.

8. mukow macrumors newbie

I posted this in another thread:

How does the YouTube app being gone surprise *any* of you? Of course Apple is trying to minimize Google's presence on the iPhone. It's been obvious for years, and is especially so with iOS 6.

Good riddance to a neglected app. Apple designed the UI for the Maps and YouTube apps originally. Google got much of the benefit.

Let Google do their own UI work instead of piggybacking off of Apple's designs.

9. stonefeet macrumors regular

stonefeet

surely google is taking over the development for it, i know apple hates google but to remove the app completely makes no sense.

10. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Hopefully google do their own YouTube app and put it in the App store. Then everything is fine.

11. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

If this happens then great, but as of now, we don't know what Apple's plans are and it's shocking that it has disappeared.

12. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

The YouTube app will probably be released on the App Store, but Google is going to slap an ugly interface on it. Sure, it may have more features than the current one on iOS, but all of Google's apps so far have been crappy looking.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

I didn't think Apple's YouTube App was great at all. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

14. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It did the job but it was pretty basic. I'm still upset it's gone. I will hold back for now, but I really REALLY hope G will be developing one for us so we won't be left with nothing.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Wasn't the original reasoning for an App because YouTube then was largely flash based for videos. Now that they deliver via alternate methods - the browser is fine...

16. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

That app was beyond horribly useless. Try searching for any song on it, and all you'd get is videos of teenage girls singing into their webcam, with the original song nowhere to be found unless you used a browser. My attempts to use the iOS Youtube app have just left me wanting to chuck the phone across the room in frustration.

17. Andy-V macrumors 6502

I think Google's apps for iOS are among the nicest out there. I think their YouTube app will be a lot better if they make one.

18. visuea macrumors newbie

I can see no reason why Google would not create their own app and place it in the app store. Given that they have released a Google Chrome app (and one to rival Safari) it would make sense that they release their own YouTube app.

Another user also posted this link. Not sure if it's an official YouTube thing or not. http://ytpl.us/

19. N e e k macrumors 6502

Perhaps Apple will make their own YouTube app and do an overhaul just like Maps?

20. *Calypso* macrumors regular

I guess it's just Apple's way of telling Google to better have a standalone App ready at iOS 6 release. I think it's a win-win-situation, because Apple can pretend to ignore Google and we get a better YouTube App. :D

21. cccxc macrumors newbie

.0000000000000001% chance.

22. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Shocking to you, not to anyone else. Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted this long. When was the last time it got a significant update?

If Google comes out with its own YouTube app, it will undoubtedly have a bad interface. I'll keep my eye on this one, but for now, the web interface is serviceable. I've been using it over the app lately, anyway.

23. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Good news here .

Google will submit a much better youtube app and we'll all be happy.

24. TheRainKing macrumors 6502a

TheRainKing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.