So apple straight up lied to me on their website

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
So my family has a history of heart problems and I sometimes get irregular heart beats. So I wanted to start tracking my heart and a big thing I wanted was the ECG.

So before buying it I visit the apple japan website since I live there and look at the watch and sure enough there is an image of an ECG. So I buy the watch and it tells me the feature is not available in my region.

Why the heck can they just advertise this feature on the japanese website if its not available in japan?

Attachments

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
It appears you're viewing the US site in Japanese which isn't the same as viewing the Japan site. The Japan site doesn't have that ECG image and all of the Apple Watches show Japanese script.
I just typed in apple.jp and went to the watch section and its still there. Every image except the ECG is in Japanese

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
I just typed in apple.jp and went to the watch section and its still there. Every image except the ECG is in Japanese
Can you post the url. I tried doing what you write and cannot find any ECG picture where it normally would be.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019

This is the link to the page with the ecg image

edit here is a video of the site from my iphone

smirking

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Well, I believe you see what you see, but I'm still not seeing it even after trying a few things to get the country detection to screw up. Look at the images for the other Apple Watches on that page. Are they shown with Japanese characters on them or all in English? If they're all in English, you're definitely on a non-Japan version of the page.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Well, I believe you see what you see, but I'm still not seeing it even after trying a few things to get the country detection to screw up. Look at the images for the other Apple Watches on that page. Are they shown with Japanese characters on them or all in English? If they're all in English, you're definitely on a non-Japan version of the page.
I posted a video of what i see. Here it is again

Its all in japanese. Every image except the ecg is in japanese

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
At the moment no. I am out in the city for the day for work. I picked up the watch in the morning. All I have is my iphone currently

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
I too don't see it on the Japanese website.

Also, this:

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014

edit here is a video of the site from my iphone
Strange. Going to your link, I still cannot get it to show ECG, whether I do it on computer or mobile. 🧐

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
Seems like it, sorry.
But also huge bummer how this feature is still very limited and it's been almost two years. If Apple is really about the health of their consumers they should have this feature licensed in more places.

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
Seems like it, sorry.
But also huge bummer how this feature is still very limited and it's been almost two years. If Apple is really about the health of their consumers they should have this feature licensed in more places.
Well that was an expensive glitch... If it is not supported here by series 7 I guess I can just import a US watch

smirking

macrumors 68030
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
At the moment no. I am out in the city for the day for work. I picked up the watch in the morning. All I have is my iphone currently
You can download Firefox for your phone. I'm just trying to rule out some funny settings in Safari that's causing Apple to serve you wrong information.

FenC

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2016
Wellington, New Zealand
If Apple is really about the health of their consumers they should have this feature licensed in more places.
It's hardly Apple that isn't trying to get it approved for more countries. It takes a very long time to get health related approvals (and rightly so - they need to be fully analysed). I live in New Zealand and we got ECG the week with WatchOS 6.2 as did Turkey and one other country I forget, so approvals are still going through and the Watch updated to reflect that in upcoming releases.

Almost certainly Apple provided the necessary details to the relevant body for every country where they sell the Watch, but other than how quickly they respond to any subsequent questions they will have zero control over how long it takes to be approved - or if it gets approved at all.

katbel

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2009
So my family has a history of heart problems and I sometimes get irregular heart beats. So I wanted to start tracking my heart and a big thing I wanted was the ECG.

So before buying it I visit the apple japan website since I live there and look at the watch and sure enough there is an image of an ECG. So I buy the watch and it tells me the feature is not available in my region.

Why the heck can they just advertise this feature on the japanese website if its not available in japan?
I’m very sorry and I understand your frustration, been there too.
I learned to check what is available in my country checking directly
in the app
C985CE0F-FD31-4014-9844-BA7DA449FCE9.jpeg
It’s know right away what you have available in your country and there is no mistake
Wish you can get or a refund or the ECG available very soon !

BootLoxes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2019
I’m very sorry and I understand your frustration, been there too.
I learned to check what is available in my country checking directly
in the app
View attachment 901860
It’s know right away what you have available in your country and there is no mistake
Wish you can get or a refund or the ECG available very soon !
Yeah its a shame. I didnt bother to check that site because the glitch led me to believe it had it because the ECG photo was present. Oh well. It still monitors my heart somewhat so I will hold onto it for now.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
You still have the ability to measure with higher fidelity in the pulse app, if you touch the crown. You know, when it updates every second instead of every 5 seconds.