So AppTapp just bricked my iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kingsly, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

I wanted to remove AppTapp, and naturally assumed that the oh-so-luscious installer would also have an uninstall option. I was horribly wrong.

I hadn't yet connected my iPhone, so I just force quit the AppTapp installer and continued about my business. I decided the only way was to do a restore, so I connected my iPhone for one last sync (last one was this morning thankfully).

Well... to my displeasure AppTapp installer left a daemon-like app running in the background called iPhoneconnect, which sent my phone into recovery mode and made it completely unresponsive. :mad: :mad:

Restore package is downloading now. Fingers crossed. :eek: :(

2. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

I know a ton of people have modded their phones with no problems, but its the few and far between stories like this that keep me from even trying.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I had some trouble with AppTapp, too. I had to restore the iPhone then redo the AppTapp process. It did work.

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Oh god that sucks.
    I just bit the bullet and ordered an iPhone... to be hacked open (but not used as a phone).

I hope you are able to recover/restore your phone. PLEASE let us know what happens.

6. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Do you have an unlocked iphone? Or just wanted to install apptapp on your att iphone?

7. one1 macrumors 65816

I posted this elsewhere tonight and I'll repeat it for you.

You can download the entire OS of the iPhone onto your HD also from the Itunes store, the link is in this forum. While this gives you the ability to have the OS at your disposal, I don't know if you would be able to use iBrickr to send everything back onto the phone properly and bypass the iTunes store. That would all depend on whether or not iBrickr will recognize a bricked iPhone. It will recognize an unactivated iPhone, but a bricked one...... dunno. We need this info.

(if anyone has a bricked iPhone and iBrickr please let us know because that would allow people with bricked phones to simply upload the OS back onto the phone and keep going!)

8. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Isn't iBrickr an odd name for a program that you hope doesn't brick your phone?

9. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Installer.app is pretty much solid on my phone. No problem whatsoever, I only used it to install Community Sources and the BSD Subsystem though.

10. ZaniCWB macrumors member

ZaniCWB

Sounds to me that you did it, not AppTapp! Look for "real" info (people who actually owns an iPhone) at hackint0sh.

11. dangleheart macrumors 6502

It is more than an hour and OP has not posted back. It looks worrisome. Hope Kingsly is able to restore. Good luck.

12. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Yea bro please report back...

I was actually on the verge of finally taking the leap to installing apptapp tonight... :(

13. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

No problems here with AppTapp- though an occasional app I installed caused problems. best to install and restart the iPhone, THEN run the program installed...

14. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

uhoh he hasn't written back. I hope things work out

15. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Okay so my iPhone is back. I lost all my camera pictures though... :eek:

I had originally installed AppTapp (installer.app) to use Navizon and ApolloIM, but after trying it for a day the novelty wore off and I decided it was safer to wait until Apple releases the same thing. That's why I wanted to take AppTapp off (also, I didn't want to be refused service of I ever went to the genius bar :rolleyes: ). I'm on AT&T

I didn't kill my iPhone. iphoneconnect killed it. Make sure you go into activity monitor and shut down that process before connecting your iPhone. AppTapp was a great app, it worked really well and was pretty seamless. I just wish there was an easier way to take it off when you're done. :(

ZaniCWB, I'm not sure I understand your point. :confused:

16. molex macrumors newbie

Removal of apptapp

Ditto... I've been very happily using apptapp to install cool themes etc. on my phone for the last week or so, but in anticipation of the upcoming 1.1 software update I decided to 86 apptapp and get my iphone back to standard.

Not as easy as I'd hoped.

First I deleted everything that I had installed using installer.app thinking that at the end I'd uninstall installer.app itself. Nope. There doesn't appear to be a way to do that. Hopefully they will add that functionality in a future update.

Anyways, I then restored my iphone, all went fine except... it wouldn't restore to my backup on itunes, giving me an "iTunes was unable to restore your iphone due to a timeout while communicating" message... twice... The phone reactivated just fine, and after a sync (and re-entering all my preferences and email accounts) everything is back to normal, or so it appears. But now I wonder if my iphone is screwed up? Will I have trouble when the new software update from Apple is released? Is my phone unshackled still, or is it all normal???? WTF?

17. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

That's not "bricked" - you can recover from it. Bricked means bricked, that your phone can't be recovered, even back to a default state.

That being said, sorry to hear of your troubles.

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I just installed Apptapp and Navizon (GPS whoa!) and everything seems to work, so that part at least seems pretty stable. Unlocking on the other hand seems more likely to fubar something, but you should be able to recover from it.

EDIT: Oh not.

19. PMart317 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone...i just got an iphone and been reading and watching youtube videos on this apptapp hack and was going to install it 2night...but when hearing all these problems i dk if i should or not. so i wanted ur input.

In the future i was wondering if apple was releasing anything for this iphone so there wouldnt be any of these problems...bc i love how the apptapp u can do so many things to it.

Iphone is great and its great to be in this mac community.