So... Are Apple Maps improving yet?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by matttye, Oct 3, 2012.

1. matttye macrumors 601

We all know that Apple has indicated they are working around the clock to fix the problems with Maps, but has anybody actually noticed improvements yet?

I reported a number of errors on iOS 6 release day but none of them have been fixed yet. :(

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

You're disappointed by unrealistic expectations?

This sounds about right for an Apple forum.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so when should one see improvements by your reasoning? a week? a month? a year?

4. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I know, what are people thinking? Pfff, who need's to know where they're going.

5. Diveflo macrumors regular

I'm not sure if I've ever read that someone's corrections have been implemented yet. I've sent them a few over the past weeks and none are corrected :/

6. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

What's unrealistic?

Google, Bing, Waze, and others generally make changes to their maps within 2 weeks (often less).

With Apple, there have been numerous reports of errors being reported over 3 months ago with no changes in sight.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Yep, people reported issues in the first beta and they haven't been fixed yet.

8. cynics macrumors G4

Using Tom Tom and teleatlas a few years ago with a standalone device it took years to see corrections. I imagine it will be similar, months at the soonest. There is just too much information to process quickly. Often on Tom Tom I'd see things that were correct suddenly be changed to incorrect.

I had a tom tom for years when after a map update my road in my neighborhood disappeared. That's when I gave up on tomtom/teleatlas and moved to a Garmin standalone with lifetime map updates.

9. topdrawer macrumors regular

i submitted several reports yesterday. mostly moving incorrect locations around and adding my office and a sandwich shop across the street to the the map. so far non of the errors have been corrected but my office was added today along with the sandwich shop.

10. irDigital0l Guest

Having a decent Maps apps is not realistic...especially how Apple is already incredibly late.

You'd expect they would blow Google maps out of the water.

11. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

That, and you can't just go around changing stuff based on one report because it may be even more off than what was there before. So there has to either be some kind of verification, or a large amount of identical or highly similar reports so they can find out what is the right information. Otherwise, this happens:

12. Xavier macrumors 68030

Until they show bike routes and small business in my area, they will not improve.

13. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

If they intended to fix the issues immediately, they wouldn't have come out with that formal apology. As stated in the apology letter itself, maps will improve over time and with user usage and input. In the maps application, flip up the map to where the drop pin and hybrid/satellite and all that are and there is an option for "Report a Problem". Maps relies on crowd-sourcing to find problem areas so they know where to fix. They aren't exactly going to rebuild every square inch of the application.

Google and the like have had a massive head start on Apple...they've been at this for years....don't expect them to magically fix everything in a matter of a fortnight (man I always wanted to use that word in a sentence).

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Sadly, the biggest issue for many of us is that they took away something that did work just fine and didn't offer a proper solution for all of the caused problems or a way to return to 5.1.

15. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

It's not that they took it away. They wanted to offer turn by turn and Google said no (of course they did...its their trademark android feature). They went their own way instead. A smart business move, yes....but a stupid one at the same time...they should have kept maps in R&D for a while before going public (or you know...saw this coming and started development in like 2008).

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

You can word it however you choose, and I'm not saying their reasons aren't valid, but Apple removed working maps and it's associated features that no longer work properly.

17. kajoob macrumors member

kajoob

I spotted an error in Google Maps a while back - a simple typographical error in the name of a neighborhood. I submitted it and it took over a year for them to implement the change.

If it takes Google a year to make corrections, I don't have much hope for Apple.

18. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

Yeah there's a spelling error in Apple Maps on one of the roads in my neighborhood....but I'm not going to report it until they fix the rest of the stuff...mainly because it doesn't matter to me. They wrote Steeple instead of Steele.

19. Vegasryn macrumors 6502

20. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

I'm disappointed that Apple Maps are barely usable right now, yeah.

21. matttye thread starter macrumors 601

Do a search on the web, there's a wealth of information about how bad maps are :(

22. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Let's us all know when that happens, we'll be waiting. ;)

23. saving107, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

How exactly are they unusable, you haven't stated that yet.

I will say this though, I do agree that some of the 3D mapping is showing up distorted but I don't see it as an issue because to me the 3D mapping is more of a gimmick and is unpractical in a real use case scenario, its a feature to show off to people, but I don't see myself using it often, if ever.

[​IMG]

24. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I can't speak for them, but, around me, almost all addresses are off by a good amount, detail is lacking in all the maps, and there are minimal POI listed.