Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
is this really true?

If so have they been doing it the whole time or is only since iOS 12. If they have been, then surely this must be the straw that broke the camels back. The only thing that kept me on iOS and Mac was the privacy but if that’s gone now then tbh I might aswell switch.

Hope this is only recent...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is _what_ really true?

I would have doubts that Apple is selling your info through iTunes - pretty sure that's mostly music and movies.

Or, do you have any source for your information?

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Is _what_ really true?

I would have doubts that Apple is selling your info through iTunes - pretty sure that's mostly music and movies.

Or, do you have any source for your information?

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...lawsuit-itunes-information-sold-third-parties

That’s why I was asking, in case this is common knowledge I have been unaware of. ATM it’s solely a claim, just hope it’s rubbish as this privacy breaching/dishonest dealings does seem to be a real issue and if Apple get done for it, a company that states it would never do anything of the sort then I’ll dont know who to believe ( not that I believed them anyway tbh)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
https://www.billboard.com/articles/...lawsuit-itunes-information-sold-third-parties

That’s why I was asking, in case this is common knowledge I have been unaware of. ATM it’s solely a claim, just hope it’s rubbish as this privacy breaching/dishonest dealings does seem to be a real issue and if Apple get done for it, a company that states it would never do anything of the sort then I’ll dont know who to believe ( not that I believed them anyway tbh)

Given that there is nothing in said allegation about why they think their information has been sold, i would say at this point not to worry about it. It’s potentially total bunk. Apple has been claiming they never sell information for ages so you can bet tons of folks have been looking for proof they are lying. Tim Cook might be smart but I doubt he’s smart enough to be selling our info in such a way that no one can prove it.

FyerFyer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2015
Given that there is nothing in said allegation about why they think their information has been sold, i would say at this point not to worry about it. It’s potentially total bunk. Apple has been claiming they never sell information for ages so you can bet tons of folks have been looking for proof they are lying. Tim Cook might be smart but I doubt he’s smart enough to be selling our info in such a way that no one can prove it.

True, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is settled, just to avoid any more negative press atm

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Here's a link to the actual filing. The basic argument is "I get junk mail, and must be due to Apple".

Two examples they show of aggregator data mention iTunes in the description, along with Pandora, are the same list of 18M people (of which like a several 10k of addresses are in RI or MI; pretty small number seeing Apple sells like 130-ish iPhones a year worldwide, add in iPads, iTunes on Mac and Windows, and Android, would expect to see a lot more names in a list if actually selling info).

Mentions a bug from 2013 that might have been exploited if one downloaded a media player app that you gave permission to scan your library. But make a leap in logic of that the album/artist/etc metadata also has your personal information as well (API docs do not show any such info available in the media player class).

And, two of the plaintiffs, appear to have resided in a state (Michigan) that allows this type of suit, for only two months in 2016.

Not a legal eagle, but sounds like typical "go after the deep pockets so lawyers can pocket big fees" suit.

https://www.scribd.com/document/411427794/Apple-Versus-Wheaton-Paul-Et-Al

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I don't trust any big company not to be selling info, even if sold as totally anonymous data (like how, I think, Apple has stated they handle and possibly sell personal data anyways)

But doing it through iTunes sounds like a stretch, to say the least

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Two examples they show of aggregator data mention iTunes in the description, along with Pandora, are the same list of 18M people

Wait what? Are they saying that this list is of folks that use both iTunes and Pandora? If that’s true then how are they proving that Apple is the villain and not Pandora? Even if Pandora had a feature at some point to scan your existing iTunes library to see what your musical tastes are that doesn’t equal Apple getting or selling anything.
[doublepost=1558886399][/doublepost]
True, but I wouldn’t be surprised if this is settled, just to avoid any more negative press atm

In this case I hope not. Because the idiot public thinks that settling is an admission of guilt and this case sounds like it has nothing behind it. Apple should take it all the way to show that they are talking out of their 30 pin ports. Once they show that there is zero merit to the case the public will fill in the gap that it was greed etc.

Reactions: MEJHarrison
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.