Carrier So, AT&T no longer offering subsidized contract pricing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eoblaed, Sep 13, 2016.

1. eoblaed macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Can't find any option for that on their website.

Only seeing three options:
    • NEXT (upgrade annually)
    • NEXT (upgrade every two years)
    • No contract pricing (full retail price)

Not suggesting subsidized contract over two years is necessarily preferable, just surprised to see it no longer an option.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Correct. They finally ditched it in January or so of this year.

3. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

you must have really been living under the rock lad... they announced it almost an year ago that they dont offer it to REGULAR customers. Its only for BUSINESS customers now who has an agreement with them

4. sahilpatel12 macrumors 6502a

sahilpatel12

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I still view the NEXT options as what a subsidy always was, but finally done fairly. You have always paid for the phone over the term of your contract, but at the end of the contract you were still paying for a phone that has already been paid in full, even if you don't upgrade your phone again. With the NEXT pricing option, when your phone is paid off you go to a more reasonable monthly service fee.

6. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 68000

eoblaed

Well, I wouldn't say living under a rock, per se. ;)

I purchased our iPhone 6S Plus phones on launch day last year, and did the contract upgrade dance. Haven't paid attention to AT&T's changes in the intervening year (I'm under contract, after all, not really on my radar).

Ok, well, I guess that simplifies things somewhat.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2016 ---
    I'll crunch the numbers myself later today, but is there a general consensus on NEXT vs Apple Upgrade (fwiw, I always get AppleCare+)?

7. Curly797 macrumors newbie

I'm looking forward to this answer.

Here's my dilemma:
    I am a long time iPhone user. The last two rounds of iPhones (4 and 6), I've received via the 2 year contract program allowing me to get my phone for free. I only paid tax. I currently own an iPhone 6 outright. My two-year contract with AT&T expires this week.

My goal is figure out a way to get the best bang for my buck by getting the 7 while being able to get the 8 when it comes out next year.

I can't decide what my best option is:
    -get the new iPhone 7 for free by trading in my 6 with a AT&T Next Plan. Then wait two years for the 8s in Sept 2018.
    -buy a 7 outright then sell it when the 8 comes out. I'd keep my upgrade but then the only phone I would have to trade in would be my current 6. Which I don't think that phone will be an allowable option.
    --Do the above and if AT&T doesn't allow my 6 for trade in, could I buy a iPhone 6s then trade it in? My upgrade would still be there.
    -I don't want to buy a phone for $325 on the AT&T Every Yr plan. That's expensive. On that option you're always buying a phone.

I should mention I'm not looking to switch carriers. I'm on an unlimited data plan.

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I haven't crunched the numbers myself, but I think it varies if the old subsidy pricing plans are better or worse based off what plans you have and what FAN discount you may have had. I did the NEXT on my iPhone 6 and paid it off several months early. I think I will do the Apple upgrade the next time just to get the verizon phone anyway since I sometimes use my phone outside of the USA the more bands the better.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unfortunately, it's going to be more expensive for us grandfathered unlimited at&t customers from this point on. Keep in mind you come out roughly the same buying outright and selling to recoup half your cost after a year vs. upgrading yearly through Apple's iPhone Upgrade Program and at&t every year plan.

10. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

I've read that even though subsidies are gone AT&T is offering free iPhone 7's with the trade in of prior iPhone's, but not sure, haven't visited a store.

11. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

Best option is to purchase a phone for full price and use a company like Ting for your service. The big 4 are ripoff artists.

12. Curly797 macrumors newbie

Yes that's true.

Attached Files: