Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
What's in a name? Would a rose gold iPad by any other name smell as sweet? In Apple's world, oh yes!

Don't say the price hike is due to spec bumps because iPads have always had spec bumps--that's the reason you update them in the first place. The only thing new here is a price hike to accompany a spec bump. Oh Apple, what are we going to do with you?

Reactions: mgarc1125

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
What's in a name? Would a rose gold iPad by any other name smell as sweet? In Apple's world, oh yes!

Don't say the price hike is due to spec bumps because iPads have always had spec bumps--that's the reason you update them in the first place. The only thing new here is a price hike to accompany a spec bump. Oh Apple, what are we going to do with you?
For the 128GB model, the difference is only $50 between 9.7 Pro and the old Air 2 pricing.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Ummm, faster processor, better screen, Pencil support, 4 speakers... Its a little more than just a name.

Did you not read my post? I addressed that.
[doublepost=1458588400][/doublepost]
Ummm, faster processor, better screen, Pencil support, 4 speakers... Its a little more than just a name.

Did you not read my post? I addressed that.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Pencil support (requiring an entire digitizer layer in the screen) and a smart connector are not merely spec bumps. Those are value-added features that some people may or may not want. For those that want them, the price hike (which also includes more base storage) is pretty well inconsequential. For those that don't want them, they just saw a price decrease for the Air.

Ryand123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Here is a better question. Why do you think it's NOT worth the extra $100?

Because spec bumps shouldn't merit price hikes when 98 percent of what you will use an iPad for remain the same. It's been that way since the first upgrade. Until now. Apple is just getting greedy.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
Because spec bumps shouldn't merit price hikes when 98 percent of what you will use an iPad for remain the same. It's been that way since the first upgrade. Until now. Apple is just getting greedy.

Yes but you are getting the Smart Connector for additional accessories as well as pencil support. I would not classify either of those as a "spec bump".

family_guy

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
Technically they just dropped the 16GB model which was always $499 and forced you into paying more for the HDD space.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
It isn't really $100, it is closer to $250. It isn't possible to truly compare the price as the Air and the Pro aren't available in the same capacities. (air 2 16&64 vs Pro 32&128).

hancox

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011

Using that logic, the price should have tripled between the 2 and the "new" ipad.

In all honestly, Apple is in a catch-22 - their scheduled, predictable rollouts make them get criticized for "not innovating." When they change anything (like this pricing structure), they get criticized by people that planned on the rollout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.