iPhone XR So besides resolution, camera; XR > 8+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Since the XR has a better processor and less resolution, wouldn’t that mean it would essentially run faster and more efficiently than the 8+? Taking camera and resolution out of the argument, would you agree?

2. doboy macrumors 68020

Yes, processor upgrade alone would do it.

3. fred98tj macrumors 6502

Are you having, currently, specific problems with your 8+ in regards to speed and efficiency?

4. now i see it macrumors 68040

Real world use of the X (which has the exact same A11 processor as the iPhone 8) vs the Xs (which has the newer A12 chip) show no speed increase that you can notice while comparing them side by side doing the same thing.
    The A12 is a little faster than the A11 in benchmarks, but it's unnoticeable in real world use. Check out the comparisons on YouTube.

So the XR will give you a better wide angle camera with better HDR but no telephoto, and a longer screen at a lower resolution- along with a notch & Face Id.

Wait until you can get your hands and eyes on a XR before buying one. Don't get duped into that stupid pre sale thing. Compare both phones side by side.

5. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

I owned an X and went to an XS. The speed difference can be significant depending on what you are doing. I find the extra GB of RAM keeps more loaded at once - and anything GPU related has less stutters. The X is fast for sure, but the XS definitely wins out in heavy use cases. I have yet to bog it down... ever. I can't say that for the X, which had some issues for me.

Side by side, app launch by app launch, the differences are slight. But that's not how you really USE a phone...

6. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I’m sure you’ve seen this thread?
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ering-after-inactivity.2141542/#post-26577886

7. anticipate macrumors 6502

anticipate

8. stafil macrumors 6502

Lol. This thread reminds me of Monty Python: “Apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us? “

Yes, apart from the missing extra camera, the display resolution, the display size, the memory(same 3GB), the worst modem(intel), the 3D Touch, the waterproof rating(same), and finally the price point, XR is much better than 8+

9. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

XR
    • 7% larger display area
    • 30% larger camera sensor
    • 15% better battery life
    • faster modem
    • TrueDepth camera
    • A12

iPhone 8 Plus
    • telephoto lens
    • higher display PPI

Most people will pick the XR.

10. Kram Sacul macrumors 6502

Kram Sacul

The Xr also doesn’t look like an old iPhone 6 Plus.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Likely true consumers will choose the XR, but not for reasons you mentioned. How many consumers care/and or understand what TrueDepth is? Or a faster modem? Or a 30% larger camera sensor? None of which they invest in having knowledge of. Consumers will choose based on color, and see the new form factor. Thats the reality of the XR.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Most XR buyers will buy because of the price. Most will not care about how many pixels, screen resolution, fast modem or processor. They just want a colorful iPhone at the lowest price. This is why Apple is introducing the XR.

We forget that it is US that is not normal. The average iPhone buyer does not know what MacRumors is, much less read it.

People just want a good phone at a good price. :apple:

13. Mackinjosh Suspended

Not just America. China, where iPhone sales have been getting worse and worse, is predicted to buy more XRs than all forms of the 8 combined.

14. stafil macrumors 6502

You are right, except about the price. It’s stupidly expensive for what it is.

15. Phone Junky macrumors 65816

Phone Junky

Not any more so compared to the XS and XS Max.