So bluetooth must be enabled on my iphone right?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Benz63amg, May 20, 2015.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

to get notifications on my apple watch i must have bluetooth on my iphone enabled right? i never had bluetooth enabled on my iphone before i got the apple watch because i know it drains the battery of my iphone 6 quicker but i guess ill have to leave it enabled for my apple watch to function correctly right? and do i need to have it enabled even when im home on wifi or just on the go?

2. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

From the Apple Watch User Guide (my emphasis added):

Although you need an iPhone to do most things with Apple Watch, you can still do several things with Apple Watch without having an iPhone in range.

- Play music from a synced playlist on Apple Watch
    - Use the watch, alarms, timers, and the stopwatch
    - Keep track of your activity (stand, move, exercise) with the Activity Activity icon app
    - Track workouts
    - Display photos from synced photo albums
    - Use Apple Pay to make purchases.

If your Apple Watch and iPhone are on the same network but aren’t connected by Bluetooth, you can also do the following on Apple Watch without iPhone:

- Send and receive messages using iMessage
    - Send and receive Digital Touch messages
    - Use Siri​

Basics > Use Apple Watch without its paired iPhone
    https://help.apple.com/watch/

3. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

but on the go in the street i will need to have bluetooth on to get notification on the watch for say when i get a text message right?

4. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Of course, when you're at home, you could also put your iPhone on charge, so you could leave Bluetooth on without drawing on the battery.

You could even pop it into the new Apple iPhone dock :)

----------

Correct

5. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Keep in mind, the secure handshake (authorization) between Watch and iPhone is done over Bluetooth. So, if you go completely out of coverage (no wifi OR bluetooth), you won't get full functionality back on the watch until you get back into bluetooth range.

Just better to leave it enabled.

6. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Sounds good thanks guys, quick question in regards to battery life, does having more glances enabled draw more battery power? what has been the biggest battery hog for you guys so far from your experience with the watch? any specific processes or app that runs in the background? i have background app refresh disabled on my iphone by the way.

7. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

Biggest battery drain for me, by far, is the workout app. I'm assuming this is due to the constant heart rate monitoring. That said, I have not had any issue with battery - other than my second day of ownership, where I was playing with it a lot and also ran 4.5 miles that morning. I was also very active throughout that day. It took the battery to ZERO by 7pm. I don't know if I've gone below 30-40% since then. I get up at 0430 on most days and take the watch off around 10 pm.