so by my playing by atts rules 3g idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ceiph, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ceiph macrumors regular

so i was messing on atts current site. and im pretending the iphone is a normal phone just like everyone says. well u can get unlimited data for $35 a month if you dont have a voice plan. and still get a subsidized phone. i just priced this way out on there website and i was still offered a sub blackjack... so if this is the case couldnt we do this too if we didnt care for the phone part

i know on iphone 1 plan you couldnt do this unless you were deaf, but now since the iphone is becoming just another smartphone why not

2. nakile macrumors regular

The only down side is that stand-alone data plans cost a little more. In the case of AT&T, it's only an extra $5 dollars. So if you got a stand alone data plan and 200 SMS messages, it would cost $40 a month, the same as a stand alone voice plan.

If you ever need to make a phone call and you don't have a voice plan, it will cost you $0.40 a minute ($0.69 if you roaming).

"If you have a voice-capable device, unless you request voice blocking, select a data plan that restricts voice access or select a qualified voice plan, the default rate for voice calls on the AT&T's wireless network are 40¢ per minute and 69¢ per minute for domestic roaming voice calls off AT&T's wireless network (rates are subject to change without notice). Additional taxes and surcharges may apply."

What they mean by "Additional taxes and surcharges may apply." I don't know. I'm assuming it the same stuff they apply to everything else.

If you do the math, you'll very quickly find out that if you talk less 99 minutes a month that going ala-carte and not buying the basic $40 a month voice plan will be cheaper. Of course, this is all assuming that you never do any roaming. Plus, you don't get the advantage of having you minutes rollover, obviously.

This is all assuming that AT&T will allow you to buy an iPhone 3G without any voice plan. But I get the feeling for some reason that they'll have some excuse...

EDIT: I think I'm wrong here. If you look on their data plan pages you'll see that they all say this:

"Please note, if you would like to have voice phone service on your device, you must add a voice rate plan to your cart before you add data. Once you have selected a voice rate plan you may select a data service using the Add Services option. Stand-alone data plans do not include voice service."

Talk about a loophole. On one side they're saying that you can go without a voice plan and make calls (at a higher price per minute), then they go on to say that you can't. I guess I just don't know how to read this technical mumbo jumbo.

EDIT 2: My original interpretation of AT&T's mumbo jumbo was right. I dug around on AT&T's support forums and came across a thread that talked about this. This one person has a AT&T Tilt, no voice plan, pays $35 a month for data, and $0.40 a minute for whenever he needs to make a call.

But it's like I said before, if AT&T will let people do this with the iPhone 3G is yet to be seen.

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

sure, but then you are essentially "cutting your nose off to spite your face" like the other person said, why not just get the voice plan and then use the wifi for data

4. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

5. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

6. justanothernerd macrumors member

couldn't you get voip to work over 3g?

Couldn't you screw the voice plan and just do voip over 3g?

7. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Hehe he. I wish that was possible.

8. tritonj macrumors 6502a

there is a stipulation somewhere that you can't use VoIP on EDGE, which i'm sure is now going to be extended to 3G