So called 'broken' screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by summermoon, Nov 2, 2007.

1. summermoon macrumors newbie

I'm pretty distraught by what just hapened to my 100 days old MacBookPro and I want to find out if there is someone out there that had the same problem. Last evening, worked on the MBP until late. Turned it off. Closed the lid. And unplugged it. The MBP spent the night on my desk, nobody touched it, nothing hapened to it, no spils, no hit, no nothing. It was just left alone. This morning, I opened the lid, I press the 'on' button and I have a heart attack : the screen has this huge blob, dark black, of dead pixels, and lines, horizontal and vertical starting at that blob, rendering about one third of my screen unusable. I swear my heart skipped a few beats.
    I brought the mac to the Apple service center, and they took one look at it and said that they were going to send a picture of the screen to Apple, but they were pretty sure Apple would NOT green light the changing of the screen or changing the MBP.
    What hapened to this MBP ?????? I am just as puzzled then the tech guy. And I KNOW I didn't hit it, bumped it. I didn't even put anything ON it. I just plain don't know what caused this.
    And there is no way I can caugh up the price of a screen or of a new mac.
    Anyone every heard of such a problem ?
    Thanks

2. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

It sounds like someone had sit on it?
    maybe your cat?ore a "fat person"
    he,he..strange thing.....never heard about it.it clearly sounds like it dident just hapend by it self..if it did it must be a production problem and you should get a brand new one.
    A little tip explain apple how you used it and state that you allways are carefull...
    i smashed my old classic ipod for a "decade" ago..and sent apple a picture they said they wouldent fix it..did not suprise me since i broke it myself.. bought a lcd screen from ebay and fixed it. easy as a pancake..maybe you could do the same?even if it is a 15-17"inch:rolleyes:

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Fitting displays in the MacBook Pros isn't easy, as the Logic Board has to come out, or so I believe.

Sorry to hear about that, I'd be distraught if anything happened to my MBP. I'm sure everything'll be okay in the long run.:apple:

4. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Well, they usually don't crack on their own. Sorry, but something is missing from the story. When lines start from a blob that is not along the edge, something impacted it. So I will say, even though you did nothing to it, "forces external to the laptop itself" damaged it.
    Good luck with it, but if techs photographed it and not serviced it, be prepared to get your wallet out. But, check with your credit card company if you used one, or your homeowners insurance if you have that, to see if someone wants to help with the damage claim.

5. pinktank macrumors 6502

6. WOZhipper macrumors newbie

WOZhipper

If your LCD has broken lines like a shattered glass, abandon all hope, if there is a blob and broken lines comeout of it...forget it they wont change it.
    There is NO way a LCD will break that way without any external force,since the LCD panel has a metallic edge, and then it has the aluminium clamshell to protect it. If the LCD has perfect straight lines vertical they can give you a warranty provided the equipment did not suffer any kind of damage or has scratches and such.
    The quality control on Apple laptops is superb and those problems are approved on a case basis with photos.
    If your Macbook is a 17 inch youl need to but the whole LCD with clamshell since its almost imposible to change without a lot of expertise and luck, the 15 inch is easier but very difficult too, so if you plan to but a LCD on Ebay be aware that is not very easy to do (even tough sellers on Ebay say its a piece of cake)

7. delianka macrumors newbie

broken macbook pro

samer happened to me :( damn it.. The screen is freaking blossoming like a an ugly surrealistic picture. Apple want $800 to fix it.