So can the 4870x2 work on the Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tritian, Mar 9, 2009.

1. tritian macrumors member

I would love to replace the dual 3870s in my early 2008 mac pro with this one card.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why'd you cancel?

4. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

I'm sure some hackintoshes use them

To be honest, i've always wondered why no hackintosh drivers have ever been attempted to be backported for mac pros

5. frimple macrumors 6502

God, who seriously cares? If you really want to know PM the guy instead of asking him in the forums. I suspect that people that don't like him are enjoying the bitter speculation.

6. vicentk macrumors regular

vicentk

May I know are you run Dual 3870 in crossfire in windows ?

7. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

Won't work under OS X.
    Even if you flash a PC 4870x2 with Mac 4870 firmware, it won't work.

ATI might consider a retail "Mac and PC" version of the 4870x2, however, if enough of you write them asking for it. In other words, they need to build a business case for it based on demand. I'll find out if there is a "feedback" email address they will let us use for expressing our wishes.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why not? I'm genuinely curious, here. This is important to know.

Oh, and what about the unused kexts for the GTX 290? Could anything come of that from an individual end-user standpoint?

9. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

Isn't the 4870x2 internally Crossfired? And the Mac doesn't support that yet. I would guess that if it did work you would only get single 4870 performance. That's just a wild guess though.

10. mackmack macrumors member

Yes the 4870x2 crossfire connection is internal so you don't have to worry about there being crossfire support on the motherboard. It's just like having crossfire 4870's only instead of an external link between the gpus via a cable and pci-e, you have it on one board. But to use it there still has to be the software support for it.

Seeing as how crossfire performance in some programs in windows is still very marginal, I can't imagine support for it in mac osx anytime soon.