So can the new iPhones be unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eVolcre, Oct 3, 2007.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Sorry for starting a new thread but i went through all the others and couldn't find an answer.

I'm reading that if you buy a new iphone with the 1.1.1 firmware, there is a way to GO back to 1.0.2. Once I go back, can I then use jailbreak to unlock it to use internationally? Or does the unlocking only work if you had it done in the first place.

I'm currently in the Middle East. Can do without the updates that 1.1.1 added but do need to unlock the phone. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

eV

2. JPyre macrumors 6502

Heres your answer, follow the directions to figure out what the firmware is.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4275306#post4275306

Short answer: no, you cannot sim-unlock a phone that has had 1.1.1 on it, you can downgrade to put apps on but you cannot not sim-unlock it, the downgrade does not downgrade the modem (SIM) firmware just the software firmware.

You prolly have a 90% chance of getting a non 1.1.1 phone out of the box if you get it now, you'll be ok if you never upgrade and you dont brick it trying to unlock it.

Edit: See post below, you might be able to downgrade and still unlock.

3. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Thanks jpyre. So, I'm SOL looks like. Actually, I could theoretically find a 4G one right? That should still have the old firmware on it

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

And actually, what if i go with a refurbed 8G model? That's a little like buying 'used' isn't it? So there's a high chance that it has the old software.

eV

5. JPyre macrumors 6502

Buy one now, either, personly i'd go with a non-refurb, your chances are very good. But who knows.

6. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Jpyre .. a quick question. I've been travelling and haven't had the chance to keep track of new developments. When exactly did the new firware get released? The date I mean. I think I can extrapolate from that and the official Sales numbers to see if I would be getting something from old inventory or if it would be a new model off the line.

Thanks mate,

eV

7. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

29th September 2007

8. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

4 days eh? I think I can take a chance. I have a feeling most iphone sales are in Apple stores or ATT branches.

9. JPyre macrumors 6502

I mightve been wrong about my last post, IPhoneSimFree is claiming a downgraded phone can be sim-unlocked while still having the new modem firmware... they havent updated in a week though....

10. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I tried doing some research but got thoroughly confused. I *think* I understood that you could go backwards to 1 0 2. But the phone wouldn't work. Then I read that there was a way to get the phone to work as well.

WHat I am confused about is some posts said you could go backwards and get the unlock feature back. But I'm not sure if you can go backwards on a new locked phone and THEN use jailbreak. :confused: :confused:

All things considered I think I'm going to take a chance and order online today hoping I get an older model. Worst case scenario, when it gets to me here in Kuwait and has the new firmware, I'll keep it and use it as a christmas gift to someone back in the States and they can activate it using ATT

eV:confused:

11. fowwiee macrumors newbie

I believe that if u get a 1.1.1. phone you can downgrade the software to 1.0.2. then use turbo sim to unlock the phone.

12. JPyre macrumors 6502

I didnt think that to be true at first, but now i'm slowly thinking youre right, ive yet to see IPhoneSimFree update their page, but they said last week it would work....

13. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Does it have to be turbo sim? how about something like jailbreak?

14. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Sheesh, I think I'm even more confused than I thought :(:confused:

ASSUMING I get an old firmware I can unlock it without having to activate through ATT first or even needing an ATT sim card. It's going to come to me here in Iraq, I don't have access to a US sim card, but I believe I can use on of the methods to unlock it and then put in a local SIM card.

Would edge work btw? Can you manually input settings?

eV

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Sorry, on reflection I think that I may have got that slightly wrong. I believe that it was actually released one or two days before that.

16. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

I bit the bullet and ordered it today. Need a new toy to keep me entertained here in the frigging war zone (i'm in iraq). Lets see what firmware it comes with. If nothing else, I'll hold on to it until a new unlock system is developed and if that fails, looks like someone in my family is getting a pretty god christmas gift this year. :)

eV

17. FInesta101 macrumors newbie

18. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry