So...Can you mix/match official multitasking with Backgrounder from Cydia?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tctony, Jul 10, 2010.

1. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I have yet to update to iOS 4, and the white i4s are not available, so I have no hands on experience with it. But bear with me.

I don't have any problems with how I understand Apple has implemented multitasking, allowing apps to use less resources etc. However, I don't like a.) the interface and b.) the quick launch tray.

The thing I like about backgrounder, is that I only want an app to run in the background if I tell it to. With Apple's implementation, if it is supported, it is automatically done AND every app is added to the quick tray, regardless of backgrounding state.

Is there a way to combine the two, and perhaps use Kirikae instead of Apple's quick tray? By "combine" I mean, only induce multitasking/backgrounding if I want to (by, for example, holding down the home button)?

Also, kind of related, kind of not, is there anyway to get the iPod popup controls back on iOS 4?

2. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I've had the same thoughts. While I also applaud Apple for their inclusion of backgrounding, I would like to say which apps and when. I'd be happy with using backgrounder to control how apps behave (on my terms) and have the backgrounded apps show up in the quick tray (which I kind of like so far).

The compatibility matrix says that Backgrounder does work on OS 4.0, so I may play around some to see if I can prevent some apps from backgrounding automatically.

3. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

please report back on this. Would love to know for when I have iOS4 up and running. I agree with the OP the annoyance of having EVERY single app ending up in the background. Seems like a poor design actually.

4. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

If you implemented backgrounding with apples multitasking, that would be a major battery killer. Like someone said it would be nice to rum apps that we want backgrounded. Theres also an app in cydia that removes non running apps from apples multitasking bar to help remove all the apps down there.

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

oh man, you rock - what's the app called?

6. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Played with Backgrounder a bit and used the override feature to disable the native OS4 backgrounding on a couple of apps (Pocket Tunes, Pandora). Backgrounder override definitely works, so if there are certain apps you'd like to prevent from running in the background, it works. Not sure yet whether I will use it against native backgrounding yet.

7. barachus macrumors regular

really? whats it called please

8. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

iRemove i think, know it starts with an i.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Remove Recents

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Just because an app is in the tray doesn't mean it has been backgrounded. How is this hard to understand?

11. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If it's multitasking-enabled, it at least means that it is taking up memory, and on a 3G that can significantly slow down the device. Besides, there's no reason to keep a saved state for Clock or Contacts or Calculator in RAM. That's just silly.

12. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Wondered this myself, made a thread. nobody posted haha.

13. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

How hard is it to just be nice? Btw, you are wrong.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Actually, he's not. Any app that does not support native multitasking can sit in the tray without consuming any resources.

15. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

actually, I'm wrong.

So what does the tray ACTUALLY do? It seems like its just a quick launch menu to be honest.

16. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

That's exactly what it is, and all it is.

17. monktv macrumors newbie

Results

So, I tried doing what you described above--downloading Backgrounder (and Proswitcher) on an ios4 operating system. My iTouch, after respringing, had the "Sad iPhone" screen and opened in Safe Mode. I tried to repspring again, but the same thing appeared. However, after deleting Backgrounder and Proswitcher, my iTouch was okay again. I definitely plan on getting the horribly thought out Apple multitasking off my iTouch.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

There is a paid app in cydia called disable IS04 I was wondeing about disabling. Apples multitask. Then adding backgrounder. Maybe I'm just used to it but I like backgrounder much more.

19. tctony thread starter macrumors 6502a

tctony

I think backgrounder is compatable with iOS4, not too sure about proswitcher.

Annnnd...yep. See here. Backgrounder will work, but ProSwitcher won't.

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

I been playing around with this backgrounder does work fine but I can't find program to complement backgrounder yet. I tried proswitcher, multiflow & Circuitous so far

21. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I use backgrounder fine on OS4. Not only does it allow one to background apps that don't support native multitasking, it also can disable native multitasking for apps which really have no need for it (why on earth would I want to keep a saved state for Clock in RAM?). Right now I'm not even using it to background non-native apps, just to manage which apps natively multitask.

I find the Task Switcher works well enough for app management, although I miss Kirikae.

22. labman macrumors 604

labman

Music Controls works fine as well :D I guess that will have to do...

23. scottuf macrumors 6502

if you are using the stopwatch function, or the countdown timer, for example. for just the clock function i'd agree. but i do understand your point in general :)

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

No, none of those functions requires the clock to be activated. They've always worked fine before iOS4, and they still work now with backgrounding disabled.