So can you no longer do the unlimited data loophole?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thefty, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Thefty, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

Thefty macrumors newbie

So I am really pissed that I only found out about this yesterday but I am getting mixed answers. I have heard that the loophole has does no longer worked and I hear that it still does. What is the true answer. I am kicking myself right now because I didn't know about this in 2011. :(

Is there any other way besides this if it does not work anymore?

NOTE: I AM TALKING ABOUT THE AT&T LOOPHOLE WITH THE iPHONE 2G. SORRY FOR THE MISCOMMUNICATION!

2. BearerOBadNews macrumors member

Which loophole is it? Which carrier are you talking about?

3. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm assuming the Verizon one where you add the tethering plan and then remove it. Unfortunately since I don't use Verizon, I can't really help with this.

4. Thefty thread starter macrumors newbie

I am talking about the AT&T iPhone 2g loophole. Sorry for the miscommunication.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's been closed for a while... and why would you even want a plan that costs as much as the 3GB tier, but becomes essentially useless after 2GB for most people?

6. Thefty thread starter macrumors newbie

Because it's still unlimited. I can't even use the iPhone to the fullest extent on 3G without worrying about going over.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...and those being throttled can't use the iPhone to the full extent on 3G without worrying about basically losing data for the rest of the month.

At least with Verizon's throttling, it's only temporary.

8. Thefty thread starter macrumors newbie

It's still unlimited though am I correct? Why would they take away the data? I thought they only slow you down.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yes, they slow it down... to about dial-up speeds that effectively stop streaming videos, most mapping software, and downloading files in a timely manner.

10. Thefty thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, well I'd still love to have unlimited. Regardless of speed. As long as it can do what I need to do

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's nothing you can do.
    They closed that loophole a while ago.
    I was lucky enough and updated 2 lines on my family plan to the unlimited iphone 2G data and then switched them to the unlimited iphone 4S plan.
    Unlimited is still better and like some mentioned above yes you can get throttled but its not the same for every part of the country.
    High traffic and congested network areas in big cities will get you throttled starting at 2GB. Other areas you might get away with way more than that.
    A few lines on my account hit 3-4GB's every month with no throttling or any message from AT&T.

12. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Yeah, they just slow it down. It would be faster to write out the bits (0's and 1's) of the data and mail it to your destination; that's how slow it is.