So Confused about Updating with Unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gryfon19, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Gryfon19 macrumors regular

I have an unlocked and jailbroken 1.0.2 iPhone that I want to update to 1.1.1 (primarily because of the increased volume). I did the unlock and jailbreak using the methods about a month ago on hacktheiphone.com with iNdependance, CyberDuck, etc. (not anySIM, SIMUnlock, etc.). In reading up on the topic, I found myself much more confused than the first time I did this process.

Basically, what steps do I need to follow to upgrade to 1.1.1 and unlock and jailbreak my phone? Thanks for the help.

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Bump. I'm also interested in moving on to 1.1.1 from an iUnlocked 1.0.2 on T-mobile.

3. thecandyman116 macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm in the same situation. I would prefer to hear from someone who has already updated from an unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone.

4. gallinger macrumors regular

I did the upgrade last week! I Re- virginised with dev team guide, then used iNdepenedence to do the special upgrade and then downgrade and then upgrade again. With the new iNdependence, it has the anysim built in so you can unlock it through that. For me, it was a pretty easy upgrade. The Re-virginising was pretty easy, Just copy and paste the guide. If you have any questions on specifics, Just ask me!

5. thecandyman116 macrumors newbie

Nice! But did you lose all your data on your iPhone during the upgrades? (contacts, music, ect.)

6. Gryfon19 thread starter macrumors regular

Gallinger - which guide did you folllow? (Provide a link, please)

Candyman - you will lose your contacts, but as long as you make sure your Address Book, Calendar, and music is up to date on the computer then once you've upgraded and unlocked your phone, simply sync again to get back to where you were.

7. ghostshadow777 macrumors member

ghostshadow777

If you unlocked using AnySim 1.0 or iUnlock and then attempt to update to 1.11, your phone will brick. If you haven't updated to 1.11, you should virginize first, http://modmyifone.com/wiki/index.php/Downgrade_Baseband_1.1.1_to_1.0.2_OSX is a good guide. Or http://rdgaccess.com/iphone-elite/viewtopic.php?t=98. But don't unlock with AnySim 1.0 again.. After virginizing, you can go ahead and update to 1.11 (might have to restore and update, instead of just update). After that you can use the methods on Jailbreakme.com to jailbreak your 1.11 phone and reunlock with AnySim 1.1.1 if you like.

My phone was unlocked wit iUnlock and bricked with the invalid sim error message after I updated to 1.11, then I repaired it using the above methods. It works like new again. Gotta love the hackers and the dev teams.

8. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I couldnt sleep so i followed the instructions posted from modmyiphone and I am successfully running 1.1.1 unlocked with Apptapp.

I am by no means a hacker. I ran into some SSH issues and actually did the entire virginization via terminal on my iphone! If there was an error I would have been screwed

I think the command line stuff looks intimidating but it really isnt that bad at all. Just follow the instructions thoroughly, and if you notice something isnt happening as directed dont panic just look at what is required for each step.

You aren't missing much anyhow. I can barely notice this supposed volume fix.

If you have any questions, post it here and I'm sure we will try to help