Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vtokmak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Hey guys,

Since 2 months i am so confused to which macbook to choose.

Let me tell you about my status.

I will use mbp as my only computer and i wont have any external screen.

I am planning to watch HD movies and play Starcraft 2,COD 6 and Battlefield Bad Company 2

Most of the time i will hang arround in my room and not planning to get it out from home.But inside home i will move it occasionally

If i go with hi res screens , playing at native res wouldnt make me face with performance issues ?

So which mbp should i pick. 15 or 17?

Guys i really need your help !

Thanks

Volkan

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010

15 is still big, but I move around a lot and i don't use it for movies/games and have an external.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Hey guys,

Since 2 months i am so confused to which macbook to choose.

Let me tell you about my status.

I will use mbp as my only computer and i wont have any external screen.

I am planning to watch HD movies and play Starcraft 2,COD 6 and Battlefield Bad Company 2

Most of the time i will hang arround in my room and not planning to get it out from home.But inside home i will move it occasionally

If i go with hi res screens , playing at native res wouldnt make me face with performance issues ?

So which mbp should i pick. 15 or 17?

Guys i really need your help !

Thanks

Volkan

The higher the resolution, the more the GPU has to work and the more impact it will have on performance. The MBP isn't the greatest gaming laptop out there and if that's your prime concern you may want to consider getting a Windows laptop.

If you have your heart set on a MBP the best thing will be to go to an Apple or reseller store and take a look and decide what screen size you prefer. I haven't played those games my self, however ran Crysis and let it auto detect best settings and it went with high, ran fairly well. My specs are in my signature so hope that helps gives you an idea.

There is a MBP gaming thread on here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/896454/ that may be of use to you.

vtokmak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
The higher the resolution, the more the GPU has to work and the more impact it will have on performance. The MBP isn't the greatest gaming laptop out there and if that's your prime concern you may want to consider getting a Windows laptop.

If you have your heart set on a MBP the best thing will be to go to an Apple or reseller store and take a look and decide what screen size you prefer. I haven't played those games my self, however ran Crysis and let it auto detect best settings and it went with high, ran fairly well. My specs are in my signature so hope that helps gives you an idea.

There is a MBP gaming thread on here https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/896454/ that may be of use to you.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I know mac is not the best gaming laptop but screen quality is the most important thing that i look for in laptop.That's why i focused on mac. I will check the topic that you gave me.

Thanks!

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Thanks for the detailed answer. I know mac is not the best gaming laptop but screen quality is the most important thing that i look for in laptop.That's why i focused on mac. I will check the topic that you gave me.

Thanks!

No probs, the screen is pretty awesome, I've just got the standard res 1440x900 and still think it looks great.

Bankaimadness

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Hi, if I may ask if you are really not planning to move around so much why not stick with a Mac Pro or a Higher spec Mac Mini?

In my humble opinion, I would not buy a laptop that is higher than a 15 inch since moving around a 17 inch will be very troublesome for me. I would not be pursuing a Macbook PRO if you are really going to be thinking about gaming. Aside from the mediocre specs for gaming the heat ventilation is really er.....

Well you see the Macbook Pro gets extremely hot running any Hardware-intensive programs and I am sure gaming is one of them. Its quite true the aluminum acts as a heatsink but it return it makes the exterior of the MBP very very hot. I would not risk it by using the MBP as another DESKTOP. For Desktops, the space is much bigger and the hardwares are much better spread out and the fans on the Desktop are also bigger. Thats why Desktop are really one of the main machines for gaming. A laptop have all the hardware grouped together making it more easily prone to internal damage such as heat.

But those are my suggestions. And heck you can save some cash with the 15 inch. I find the monitor just right for home use and traveling use.

If Screen quality is what you are looking for may I suggest the IMAC?

vtokmak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Hi, if I may ask if you are really not planning to move around so much why not stick with a Mac Pro or a Higher spec Mac Mini?

In my humble opinion, I would not buy a laptop that is higher than a 15 inch since moving around a 17 inch will be very troublesome for me. I would not be pursuing a Macbook PRO if you are really going to be thinking about gaming. Aside from the mediocre specs for gaming the heat ventilation is really er.....

Well you see the Macbook Pro gets extremely hot running any Hardware-intensive programs and I am sure gaming is one of them. Its quite true the aluminum acts as a heatsink but it return it makes the exterior of the MBP very very hot. I would not risk it by using the MBP as another DESKTOP.

But those are my suggestions. And heck you can save some cash with the 15 inch. I find the monitor just right for home use and traveling use.

If Screen quality is what you are looking for may I suggest the IMAC.

I already have a hardcore gaming desktop but the problem is i am an international student and everytime i go back home i bring my desktop with me (i know i am unusual :) ) and i am planning to attend exchange program next year so portability is becoming important.And i am sick of sitting on a chair everytime i want to use computer.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I'd go for 17", especially when you're not carrying it out~
However, I'd HIGHLY recommend you get an iMac... if you're sure you only use it at home ;)

vtokmak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 24, 2010
Thank you guys for suggestions but i think iMac is not an option at the moment.I know it is single piece computer but it is not portable like laptop and i must use it on a desk (i want to surf when i am lying on bed or on sofa).

Anymore suggestions ?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
If you want to game, the 17" might struggle at native res, because 1920x1200 is pretty high, but I think I would still recommend that or maybe the 15" with some upgrades and hi-res screen if you need it to be movable but not super portable.

robotmonkey

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
15 inch... I think even that is a lot to carry around, a 17 inch is basically a desktop that'll fold up nicely, definitely not portable. The hi-res 15 inch has a beautiful display you won't be disappointed.

hellric

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2010
Belgium
As you want to play, go for the 15" i7 (with 512 MB video RAM) standard screen.
Bad Company 2 is beautiful in 1440x900 4xAA but the 330M GT cannot go higher, so no need for higher res. I've watched a few HD movies on mine, including Avatar, and it's gorgeous.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I gave up trying get my work (Mac) and gaming (Windows) on one system. After 8 different 15" MBP (and powerbooks before that) I found the loud fan (when gaming) and avg performance of Mac in Bootcamp to be limiting.

I now have a 13" MBP which is an outstanding laptop for work (usually connected to an external monitor at home and office) and business travel. However, I bought an ASUS G73JH high-end gaming Windows laptop. With the ATI 5870 it is the fastest single GPU laptop for Windows gaming.

The Best Buy version has i7 720 (Quad core w/8 threads) 6GB 500GB 7200 ATI5870 1600x900 screen (preferred by many gamers because the GPU does not have to push as many pixels), WiFi N, GBe, SD combo slot, DVDRW, HDMI, VGA, 4 USB for $1200 if you can find it in stock.

I have the $1500 X2 version which adds 8GB ram, Bluetooth, Blu-ray and full 1080p display. Both systems have space for two drives and most components can be upgraded (though the CPU & GPU not as easily as prior models).

It is 8lbs but a lot easier to take with you than your desktop. I've flown with both in a large padded backpack but usually pick one depending on what my primary function will be at the destination but carrying 13-14lbs is doable if you want to play games on a mobile system at high or ultra settings.

Cheers,

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Thank you guys for suggestions but i think iMac is not an option at the moment.I know it is single piece computer but it is not portable like laptop and i must use it on a desk (i want to surf when i am lying on bed or on sofa).

Anymore suggestions ?

Yeah, but if you get something like a 17" MacBook Pro, that's not really that portable either. It's not a laptop anymore.

I'd say get an iMac and an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.