So Confused

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imswimmin, Sep 5, 2011.

1. imswimmin macrumors regular

Today I went to the Apple Store because my brother's new macbook pro's f4 key was not working. They went ahead and exchanged it, so everything is all good.

While he was getting his macbook pro replaced, I decided to head over to the macbook air section and actually see the differences between the LG and Samsung screens, as I had purchased my 13" i5 with the LG screen the other day. I went to this website (http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/75285375/original) and saw that 4 bars of red and 4 bars of green were clipped. Because these results were pretty much similar to mine (4 bars of red, 3 bars of green), I immediately concluded that the macbook air had an LG screen. I decided to check anyways and ran the code (ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6). To my surprise, the air had a samsung screen.

This is why I am confused. Why did a samsung screen have more colors clipped off than my LG screen? I was never bothered by the fact that I had the LG screen, as it had always looked stunning to me. I am merely curious as to why many people hate the LG and wish they had the Samsung.

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Because Apple attracts people who want "perfect", and there was early discussion on boards like this that Samsung was more "perfect" than LG. That's about all there is to it. Less OCD-driven types ignored the silly discussion and just got to the business of enjoying their machines.

3. scarred macrumors 6502a

Safari doesn't display that web site properly.

Use Chrome or Firefox, and the colours are correct (you'll see the different reds). Regardless of your display...

4. imswimmin thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmmm. This is even weirder. I just viewed that website through chrome, and now none of the colors are clipped. I can clearly distinguish each shade.

Seriously confused right now...

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

I have a 13 inch i5 and none of the colours clip, when viewed outside of Safari, the LG, Samsung is mostly nonsense as is confirmed by Anandtech "Based on these numbers alone I don't see any reason to believe that the LG panel in the new MacBook Air is any worse than the Samsung panel"

The perceived differences are explained and may well just be down to production tolerances as no screen is 100% identical. The "display lottery" is a joke, only resulting in some people swapping a perfectly good machine in the hope of finding a display quality that does not exist...

If colour accuracy, gamut etc are important factors then the MacBook Pro is the solution, the Air is all about portability, the fact that the machine is now more than ever capable of heavier workloads does not detract from the original design philosophy :apple:

6. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

im lost are they suppose to clip or be solid? i have a 13 air i7 Samsung and i can see the separation, assuming that's what the clipping means

7. jackyyeow, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  8. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Clipping is the opposite, when the block merge at either end of the spectrum, if you can see separation across all the bars it`s a good sign...

----------

Thickness of the panel...

9. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

Oops was looking at the wrong thread, sorry!:eek:

10. scarred macrumors 6502a

You are supposed to see an even spectrum from dark to light. Each step should be about the same intensity.

The problem is, there is a bug with Safari, and it is not showing the lighter "steps" for red. View in Chrome or Firefox, and you'll see your display is just fine (regardless of whether it is samsung or lg).

If you want to complain, you can look at the black end of the spectrum and notice that the contrast of the screen can be better (it is hard to see the darkest end of the spectrum, things just go black too soon). However, this can be calibrated out to an extent.

In the end, unless you are a professional videographer or photographer, the display on the Air is just fine... LG or samsung. Stop worrying about it and enjoy!