So....considering the education discounts and all...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GetOffaMyMac, May 10, 2008.

1. GetOffaMyMac macrumors newbie

While getting 100 bucks off for a MacBook is pretty swanky, I guess, I really don't need an iPod shuffle....

I'm tempted to just buy a MacBook fullprice, either refurbed or new.

What would you guys suggest?

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

You get an iPod nano with the Educational Discount (during the Summer deal), not a Shuffle.

Technically, it's a $150 rebate towards any iPod $150 and above.

3. GetOffaMyMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops, my bad....Was going off of what my dad said.

4. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Last year when I got mine, it was $100 off and a $199 nano. I really wanted the nano so it was a great deal. If you don't want an ipod, you can sell it at a discount or watch for a good deal on a refurb. Probably the best deal on a new one is the upper end white one.

5. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Sorry to hijack, but where are you seeing the free deal for the ipod, or is this the assumed one for this summer?

And I wouldn't suggest you buy a refurb macbook. I've had problems with refurbed stuff from Apple, so am not buying a refurb because of the expectation of more issues.

6. illidian macrumors 6502

Or you could just use your education discount now and get $100 off.

7. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I must disagree, refurbs are a great deal and carry the same warranty as new. Over the years, I've bought more than a dozen laptops, desktops and iPods with not one issue.

Don't discount the refurbs, check macrumors, there's multiple discussions concerning the benefit of the refurb.

If I don't like the June MB update, I'll be purchasing a refurbed MBP.

Coachingguy

8. StuBeck macrumors 6502

I guess it helps that I can buy a new mac for the same price or less then a refurb with the student discount. I know the process Apple uses for refurbs is not very good at finding the problems, so I'd rather have a system that has never had a problem and is in new condition, then one which is used, has had a problem, may still have the problem, and may be in used condition. I also got burned because when I bought the iPod, they didn't register it so I had to prove to Apple that I bought a device...from Apple directly. That was beyond retarded.

9. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I'm just curious why you'd rather pay full price so you don't get a free something? :confused: Couldn't you just sell it or something if you don't need?

10. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

I've bought refurbs instead of using my education discount, and been pleasantly surprised....my ibook came with an 80 instead of 40 gig HD (unlisted benefit!) and other than that (and after 2+ years) there is nothing about this computer that would suggest it is a refurb.
    1 yr warranty and 3 yr applecare - even if there were a problem, it would be covered...

Also, if you do go the refurb route, you can still use your education discount on the applecare. Just make sure you are logged into the education store, go to refurb computers, and the applecare is still discounted...Not a ton, but enough to be worth it.

11. illidian macrumors 6502

Applecare can be on Amazon (and other retailers) much cheaper than offered at the Apple Store.

12. pazreal macrumors regular

I've bought a handful of Macs in the ipod/edu promo period and have always sold the ipods on ebay or craigslist without a hitch thus getting an even deeper discount on my macs. I say wait for the promo and then resell.

13. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

at the apple store, imac applecare is only 119 with student discount. (from 169). other applecare programs show a similar discount. fwiw.

14. illidian macrumors 6502

My apologies. I recalled Applecare still being cheaper at Amazon. After checking, it is cheaper to go through Apple.

15. ben.mcmahan macrumors member

I think you're right too. Amazon had the imac applecare for 149, vs. 169 at apple. Its just the edu discount that is so substantial - which re: this discussion, is available on refurbs from apple, as well as new.

If you dont have access to edu discount, the applecare is quite a bit more.

16. tech928 macrumors newbie

I believe they are talking about the assumed summer deal, but if that is the case then is the Adobe deal going to go away, or is the adobe deal instead of the iPod

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...ividual?type=k12&node=campaigns/adobe/landing