So, Cover Flow kinda sucks...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SilentCrs, Oct 28, 2007.

1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

Well, let me rephrase that. It's pretty cool when it works. However, any time it tries to generate a thumbnail (or thumbnails) of things that take awhile (say, any large WMV through Flip4Mac) it can slow the Finder to a crawl. Worse, sometimes it beachballs the Finder or slows the entire system to a crawl.

I like the concept of it. However, is there any way to turn off thumbnails for certain filetypes?

Before anyone ask:

1.) Yes, it's an Erase and Install. Downloaded the latest version of Flip4Mac from the site.
    2.) No, I'm not going to turn off CoverFlow for everything, if I can help it.

2. IzzyJG99 macrumors 6502

Cover Flow since day one has been slow and buggy. Even on the fastest machines I've seen it be laggy and take forever to generate the thumbnail graphics. Apple seems to not dedicate enough processing power to it when it could use an upgrade of 5-10% more that make up for the problems. Or at least make it less intense. Trouble with 10.5's coverflow is it's actually generating an icon with sizes from 16x16 all the way to 128x128 and then up to 520x520 and pre-done full screen zooms. So it's..intense.

3. checkflag macrumors member

checkflag

I dont like the fact that cover flow makes my photo thumbs look like crap/heavily pixelated... yet album covers look ok ?!?!? this needs to be addressed.. I feel like I am looking at os9 thumbs in osx.. !

4. checkflag macrumors member

checkflag

Fixed !

use "cocothumbx" that you can download here : http://www.stalkingwolf.net/software/cocothumbx/

1st check remove thumbs .. than drag picture folder (thats what I wanted to fix) into it. it will delete all the 10.4 icons and automatically replace with io.5 icon.s

SWEET !

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Cover flow sucks in iTunes, sucks on the iPhone (it is cool to demo it to others) and sucks in Leopard. It's just a gimmick and eye candy.

The only place I find it useful is looking through all the jpegs/gifs I have to post on MR like this one. :p

Attached Files: