So did anyone buy Tony Hawk's RIDE?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Taustin Powers, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Well, what do you think?

Reviews seem to be consistently poor, which is kind of what everyone seemed to expect.

Which makes me think, when Tony Hawk made a public statement defending the game, he may have been onto something with this sentence:

"And I think a lot of them came into it with an attitude that it's going to suck."

A lot of people on forums and comment sections were ripping this game apart without ever having a chance to try it already.

But anyways....who's tried it? I'm just not interested in peripherals in the first place, so I passed it up as "not for me". But I loved the old games (mostly up to part 3), so I am curious.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

The problem is.....

Is so damn prohibitively expensive just to chance 'giving it a try'.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't normally go off reviews but when everyone says it sucks, I'm just going to have to believe them than spend good money on it.

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Reviews look pathetic. ~50/100?! Wow.

I wasn't planning on getting it, and I still don't.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Looked like s*** from the start so I didn't bother...if I do find it somewhere for $20 then I'm willing to give it a try.

Bless

6. Taustin Powers thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I'd be curious enough to try it in a store or something...but yeah, I also cannot see how it could be any good.

The last Tony Hawk game I truly enjoyed was Part 3. After that, it went downhill slowly but steadily... Didn't need all the Jackass stuff, the "storylines" in the Undergrounds were laughable, and at some point I just stopped paying attention.

I did enjoy Skate, but ended up selling it eventually. I'll probably pick up Skate 3, if they fix the walking controls. Walking in Skate 2 (while a very welcome addition!) felt like steering a shopping cart with two of its wheels jammed. :rolleyes:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I really liked the first 4 or so, but the DS ones (American Wasteland at least) and TH Underground Remix on the PSP are actually really good. They're a good throwback to the first games. But the other games not so much.

8. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

My kid wanted the game for Christmas, but after reading the reviews I skipped on it. He'll be dissapointed, but for $120 I can live with that.

I picked him up the Shaun White snowboarding and I already have the wii fit board, so we'll see how that goes.

9. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

For my son we already got him Skate It, and he's getting a skateboard balance board attachment from my parents for Christmas, so he'll end up better off without TH:R.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Rumor has it that the game is actually really good.

11. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Haven't tried it and don't plan to. I very RARELY buy games rated 8 or below at IGN or Gamespot.

I do so because doing "B" rated work or below is not acceptable to me. Always put forth 100%. After several years all 3 consoles have just enough great games to not play the crap.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Is this what you really think, that developer effort=ratings?

13. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

It's deeper than that, but for a good percentage: yes.

Its sad to see games like The Saboteur and that new Rogue Warrior *? game coming out to be so damn poor, as well as many in game problems.

I will spend my hard earned money to support developers that make amazing games. Usually nothing less.

14. mslide macrumors 6502a

I would certainly be interested in trying the game out but I pretty much gave up on the Tony Hawk series once the Underground games came out. While I put in countless hours into the early pro skater games, the whole idea of trying to get million point combos and grinding telephone wires for hours on end just got extremely boring. Nice to see them trying to do something innovative though. I stick with the 'Skate' series now. Part of me also thinks that if I wanted to use something that was supposed to mimic skateboarding that much, I'd buy a real skateboard and go outside.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'd try it given the opportunity for free.

Just not giving €120 to try it.

16. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

I'd put 50 cents max into a arcade cabinet at a mini golf course ;) Unfortunately It'd probably be $1.