So did anyone just get a base model?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by forza69, Nov 30, 2012.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I'm planning on buying the 21.5" but just leave it as is. Anyone else doing the same?

2. Ademordna macrumors regular

Just purchased the base model 21.5, but with a ram upgrade. Not sure if that counts?:)

3. baxlobs macrumors regular

Me too, I use my PC for e-mail, some word processingf, occasional spreadsheet, web browsing, and photo processing, not heavy. Never play games, or watch films etc.

I thought worth getting the extra RAM as not user upgradeable.

No way could I fit a 27" screen on my desk, my current one is only 17" so 21.5 will seem plenty big enough. :D

4. darkanddivine macrumors member

Trying to decide between a base 27" and an upgraded 21". I think unfortunatley Fusion may be out of my price range on the 27", but the iMac with 7200RPM drive would work well enough..... I might wait to see some benchmarks. I feel that the 21" needs the extra RAM as it can't be upgraded. If fusion is not an option, then a base with upgraded RAM would be OK, especially for general/low usage. I need mine for more though.

5. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I have 4GB RAM on my old Mac Mini. I'm running Mountain Lion with no problems. I think the base 8GB will be okay for the time being. I guess it depends on how long you think you will keep the computer. Being able to upgrade was part of my reasoning for going with the 27". I don't want to buy a computer again in another 3 years.

6. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Same here. I wouldn't do much on it, though that 27" display is calling my name. I just can't wait any longer :/

----------

I threw out my 7 year old PC a few weeks ago (yes I've been without a computer for 3 weeks, though I bought an iPad 4 today). I had 3GB of RAM on there, slow RAM too. I never had any complaints on the speed so I'm guessing ill be quite happy with 8GB.

7. Ademordna macrumors regular

I do pretty much everything on my laptop so the imac will only run photoshop and digital painting software, so nothing too demanding for the processor - although the Fusion was tempting. The 27 screen is gorgeous, but I kind of wanted to stick with the frame size that I am used to working in (I have an appropriately sized graphics tablet). I'm so glad I managed to get one this early - went through 3 cups of tea waiting on the phone line :D