So did apple finally fix the SATA-II/firmware 1.7 issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Aug 2, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I bought a 15" 2.8GHz mbp just a couple of weeks ago and did the 1.7 firmware upgrade (didnt know at the time that it could render your mb/mbp useless with 3rd party sata-II hdds).

Anyway I tried installing a few 3rd party SATA-II hdds and they all didnt work. Well they did work except that I get a freeze under OSX every minute or two with the color wheel popping out rendering the mbp useless.

So I came to my own conclusion that the 15" and 13" mbps all have a SATA-I controller and does not accept SATA-II hdds.

Now I'm starting to look at the 17" mbp as this issue does not affect the 17".

So what do you guys think? I know there were some 13" and 15" users of the new unibody mbp that applied the 1.7 firmware that can upgrade to an SSD or any other SATA-II hdd and worked fine.

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Apple issued a firmware patch to enable the 3.0GBps speeds for the new 13/15.4" Unibody Pros shortly after their launch. I haven't heard of any issues with HD models, but the WD Scorpio/Seagate Momenteus lines are highly recommended as OEM replacement units.

You probably should have posted this in the Pro forum though...

3. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

How do you get the new firmware my cousin just bought a new 13" and I want to make sure she gets the new firmware

4. goMac macrumors 603

The 15" MBP has a SATA2 controller, it's just a firmware bug.

Last I heard, a fix is coming...

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I just got a 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro, put in my X25 and it would appear that the drive is running at full speed.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

just bought this last week

Vendor: NVidia
    Product: MCP79 AHCI
    Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

apparently they were before:

Vendor: NVidia
    Product: MCP79 AHCI
    Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.20 Supported

7. maxsquared macrumors regular

8. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

This is a wrong conclusion. Please list specifically which drives you were trying to install.

9. Nautigar macrumors regular

It seems only some MBPs are affected. I am running a new MBP 13" with a 2nd gen Intel X15-M 160G without any problems so far. The MBP came with Firmware 1.7 preinstalled.

10. daxomni macrumors 6502

You download and install it just like any other update.