So did the update fix the 4850 problems?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by avihappy, May 2, 2009.

1. avihappy macrumors 6502

avihappy

Hey iMac 4850 owners. It's avihappy again and I have another survey for you all. As you can see, there is now an iMac 4850 EFI firmware update available via software update.

So can you:
    1. Find a test that will cause the iMac to freeze up.
    2. Do the update. (make sure you actually run the firmware updater tool, it may not run automatically when you install the update from Software Update.)
    3. Switch to WiFi.
    4. Do the test again.
    5. See if the iMac freezes!

2. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

Checked this morning (10am US Pacific time) and didn't see anything. Guess I'll check again .. after I finish this Windoze Vista installation.

It's too bad too; they say you should update to the latest firmware before installing Windoze on boot camp.

Edit: aand my iMac froze while doing the Windoze Vista installation. I'm guessing that installation is hosed, so might as well do the firmware update and then reformat that partition and reinstall. I bet Vista tried to trigger the wifi.

3. larrymarshall2 macrumors member

update is available for me, will install now!

Ok so installed it, will turn on wifi now. so far no lockups but it's only been 2 min :D

Note to people who install. It's a little scary because when you turn the computer back on from installing the firmware, it emits a loud, high pitch that i couldnt control the volume of for about 3-5 seconds. then it stays black for 30 secs before installing with a progress bar. All these notes, except for the loud sound, is including in the notes so it's normal.

Next note: Before the update, I was unable to get safari, or software update to work through wifi. I can now do both!

4. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

for those who installed, and have some games or anything to benchmark graphics performance - please benchmark and see if the new updates degraded the card's overall performance.

5. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

You think maybe they underclocked something, huh? Guess we'll see.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Bear in mind that the first graphics card update Apple released didn't fix the original freezing Alu iMacs and people had to wait 5 or so more months for the actual fix.

7. larrymarshall2 macrumors member

im going to head out on a bike ride right now, could you link me a way to get benchmarks? i have no idea how to do anything like that so the easier the explanation the better

8. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

Ooh... I hope that's not the case this time.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

3 months. Released first week of August, acknowledged first week of October, fixed first week of November.

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There's always that suspicion. Fortunately, when the fix finally arrived for the original freezing Alu iMac, benchmarking showed it wasn't underclocked so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

11. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

I just finished the update and turned my wireless back on. By the way since I turned it off (the Wireless) I have not had any crashes or lockups. Now I installed the firmware update.

[​IMG]

I will now do some testing and be back to post some results.

12. jun macrumors newbie

pls keep us updated. thanks in advance!!
    if it truly works out not only for you but for the rest of the users here suffering from the same problem, then ill definitely consider buying one again.
    (i returned a faulty one this week....no replacement at this point)
    wait for further info w/ my fingers crossed.

13. avihappy thread starter macrumors 6502

avihappy

No, performance is around the same:
    [​IMG]
    Left is new firmware, right is old firmware. The reason the scores may be slightly lower on the new firmware version is because I have installed new software since the old firmware test.

14. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

iMac froze for the second time in a row while installing Vista in Boot Camp. I'm not sure if it's our same 4850 freezing problem or if my Vista install disc is being retarded.

Yes, I've installed the new firmware update.

Edit: looks like the problem I'm having is a separate issue. Once I get this installation finished I'll go back to OSX and do some torture testing.

15. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

It looks to me like the firmware update slowed it down, just a tad. The numbers are lower on the left that the right. Maybe its just that specific test, or maybe not. It would be interesting to see it run 3-4 more times and compare it then.

16. VulnoX macrumors member

I am going to leave the iTunes Visualizer running while I do a bike ride, that normally did it before. Then later I will play WoW with it to make sure that works now on WiFi.

Overall, very excited, and great timing for me.

17. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Could someone please post the exact name (and any additional info) that this update comes up as when you check for updates?

18. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

19. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

thanks.

for the rest, here's what it says:

Weird that your mac is still freezing. Only time will tell though if the overall stability has improved, and if it's just your system that's freezing, or if the bug is still there.

20. Tymbo macrumors regular

waiting to hear story from MacLover4491, a 'no' voter

21. Rinone macrumors newbie

I'm not going to vote right now, will wait for at least a week, my freezes seem to come at random. It's been more than a week since i got my iMac, first 4 days were ok, and on the 5th it freezes happened 2 times, after that all ok, so i don't really know what to expect, guess time will tell.

22. Omni Geno macrumors regular

Omni Geno

If you're referring to me, I believe it's a separate issue related to Vista not liking Firewire drives being connected while it's installing. Crossing my fingers that that's the case, as I install for the third time :)

23. WizardHunt macrumors 68000

WizardHunt

My lock ups in WiFi mode seem to be fixed. I could without fail each and every time when I played iTunes with Visualizer full screen. Sometimes I got locked up at 1st song , 3rd song, 8th song, but never ever made it through my entire playlist. Just now, I got through my entire playlist and not a single freeze.

I think it fixed my problem and I couldn't be more Happy. Well I could but that is another subject. :D I will vote Yes it fixed my problem.

24. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I am going to wait before choosing. My son could consistently lock up the machine by playing Spore on WiFi but not on ethernet.

I applied the patch about 15 mins ago and he is playing now on WiFi. I will come back later and answer the poll for my situation.

25. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

Are we sure he/she has one? I looked at all 11 of the posts by this user and see nothing about a freezing iMac. The vote could be legit or someone wanting to skew the results.