Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Just curious as to how the majority went with this one.

I ordered Apple Care as I generally get insurance on any product I purchase that is over $500.00.

I have NOT had to use it for my iPhone 4, or the first gen iPad, however I did have to use it on my iMac 27" 2008 Quad core. I had to get the LCD replaced. Screen smudge issues.

How about you guys?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I've been going with Best Buy's insurance for some time now. They're very good with sticking to their policy and it's a very butterfingers-friendly one.

mszpara

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I didn't. I typically don't get insurance on electronics, and so far it hasn't bitten me in the ass. Let's hope my lucky streak continues ;)

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Bought it when I got my iPhone 3G and never had to use it. I generally take care of all my goodies. Didn't buy one for my MBP and never had a need to make any warranty claims. Don't think I'll get one for the iPad either as I seem to have (knock on wood) good luck with my devices.

AR15MBP

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
USA
i will. i think it makes a lot more sense with the ipad versus the iphone. with the iphone, you only get 1 more year of service, the out of warranty replacement is only $199, and whether we like this idea or not, cell phones are essentially disposable. ipad's on the other hand ups it to 3 years, same price for the service, same low 49 buck deductible, and you avoid paying i believe $399, $499 etc for replacement. seems like a no brainer to me.

wellok

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Yep. Didn't get it on my 4S but did on the iPad, and I'll be ordering it for my MBA before my first year runs out.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Absolutely, I've used Applecare on a laptop when the optical drive quit and on a few iPhones that went haywire. It's saved me thousands literally.

I didn't hesitate to order it for the iPad and Applecare is even better now. If I drop my iPad and bust the screen or take it swimming with me Apple will now replace it for $49 (two incidents max I think). Not a bad deal.

Doombringer

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2012
I got it. I'm big on warranties lately.

I figure, the iPad has a good chance of being dropped. I'd rather pay a nominal deductible to get a replacement than have to buy an entire new one. I got AppleCare for my Mac Mini as well, because so little of it is "user serviceable."

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I have never bought insurance or extended warranties for any electronics over the past 10 years. My gamble has paid off because I have only had to pay for repairs out of pocket once. The bill was $70. You do the math :cool:

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I have never bought insurance or extended warranties for any electronics over the past 10 years. My gamble has paid off because I have only had to pay for repairs out of pocket once. The bill was $70. You do the math :cool:

I got it on the iPad and our phones. Now, I don't have to be all uptight and worry about them, or have super bulky cases, or worry about our toddle playing with them. That has real, significant value for me.

In general, the company does win. I don't always buy warranties, I make a calculated judgment as to their risk/reward. I've had a few problems with expensive electronics that happened to have been covered under extended warranty, (including a 58" plasma that got it's screen busted, and was replaced as a courtesy under the extended warranty I had).

My particular math comes out putting me ahead. Especially if you value the peace of mind and more enjoyment I get out of the devices not having to be all anal about them.

Aksta

macrumors regular
May 3, 2011
Surrey, UK
I will probably buy it later (if possible) if i decide to keep my iPad or i will upgrade when the latest one arrives.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Bought the Applecare. For one year it will give me peace of mind. And when I sell it next spring it will fetch a higher price.

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.