Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
So this semester I have a multimedia programming class. For some reason my school is psycho and likes to stick Direct X and OpenGL in the same class :eek:

Anyway I got my Direct X and OpenGL books and I started learning OpenGL (naturally I'm on a mac) and I'm having a ball with it until the syllabus became available today. It looks like the class is Direct X only with only reading done about OpenGL :mad: I'm really really disappointed since there is no way to program in Direct X on a Mac so I'll be stuck booted into Windows all semester since DirectX doesn't play nice in VMWare.

Anyway I'm sad and I'm going to go pout now : P I hope everyone had a great Christmas and I'm going to try to finish my OpenGL Superbible before class starts on Jan 3rd :D

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
I feel your pain. I am learning C from a great book but signed up at a city college to take the C class so I can move on to Objc-C. Before I can even take the C programming class I have to take the Programming fundamentals class that teaches you Turbo Pascal. No such luck running that program on a Mac.

-Lars

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I feel your pain. I am learning C from a great book but signed up at a city college to take the C class so I can move on to Objc-C. Before I can even take the C programming class I have to take the Programming fundamentals class that teaches you Turbo Pascal. No such luck running that program on a Mac.

-Lars

Jesus, are you serious? That's terrible. Who is teaching Turbo Pascal today?!

I'd think you could just use GNU Pascal and get away with it by the way... http://www.microbizz.nl/gpc.html

You can compile on your Mac and use the XCode IDE.

TreborM

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
More optimistic

I'm really really disappointed since there is no way to program in Direct X on a Mac so I'll be stuck booted into Windows all semester since DirectX doesn't play nice in VMWare.

Really? Fusion has *full* DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 graphics support (and OpenGL 2.1 as well). Lots of poeple develop software in VMs of all sorts.

Any evidence to support your claim?
Have you actually tried to run trivial DirectX sample and failed?

Ranting is good for venting frustration, so while you're in the better mood please give a it go ... chances are you will be positively surrprised.

Good luck with your classes,
Trebor

larswik

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2006
Thank you Mathew. I will see if the teacher will allow me to use my Mac using GNU pascal with xCode.

What are the differences between Pascal and Turbo Pascal?

-Lars

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Really? Fusion has *full* DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3 graphics support (and OpenGL 2.1 as well). Lots of poeple develop software in VMs of all sorts.

Any evidence to support your claim?
Have you actually tried to run trivial DirectX sample and failed?

Ranting is good for venting frustration, so while you're in the better mood please give a it go ... chances are you will be positively surrprised.

Good luck with your classes,
Trebor

I've compiled programs before that didn't play nice in VMWare :( There was several where we were given 3D spheres and had to program them to react realistically to being hit with a cue stick. However, that was with an older version of VMWare. I'll have to give it a run with the newest version and see if that is any improvement. I REALLY hope it works well because that would be awesome not to have to boot into Windows and take down my make shift render farm in the process :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.