So do current MBP gen owners get the Four Finger Touch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fleshman03, Oct 14, 2008.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Well do we?? If not, I've got a one finger gesture for SJ.

2. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

From Apple insider:

1:25 pm: Multiple buttons unlocked via software, new multi-touch gestures -- one, two, three, and four fingered gestures.

No idea what that means.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why would you think that we do? The older MBPs didn't get the multitouch stuff, and iBooks couldn't do two finger scrolling.

4. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

We still have the chip in the track pad that supports 3 finger gestures. It just is making me wonder.

5. nephilim7 macrumors regular

the current chipset in the 4,1 mbp 17" (mine anyway.. probably applies to penryn 15"s) can handle 4 finger tracking in linux using the new bcm driver so I'd guess yes.

6. valvehead macrumors regular

But you know Apple won't update the drivers, or if they do they'll charge money for it.:rolleyes:

7. nephilim7 macrumors regular

since when does apple charge you for 'software update' =/

the reason older mbps don't have multitouch is because they don't have the hardware to support it. If apple is still using the same chip in the new ones, it should work fine.

8. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I've been asking this question for the last hour (re-asked it once) at the "front page" of macrumors comment section. Mostly it's whiners complaining about the glossy finish. No one has answered my four finger question for current MBPs. This thread is not very definitive either. Anyone?

9. thefamousgrouse macrumors newbie

10. ClothheadHQ macrumors member

this would make me smile if they do include it in the previous multi touch trackpads and sad if not....

11. Mr Nice Guy macrumors member

Mr Nice Guy

12. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

ipod touches had to pay to upgrade..

Hoping they enable this feature in my penryn model..

13. risenphoenixkai macrumors member

I asked this same question at Apple's support forums, and they removed my post.

So I'm guessing the answer is no.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You had to purchase an "n-enabler" download from the Apple store to get Wireless N Capabilties on certian macs.

15. Cronus130 macrumors newbie

Cronus130

A paid update is still better then no update at all.

16. Kadaver83 macrumors newbie

Well I got the MBP early 2008, and I know that they said that the multi-touchpad of this MBP and Air uses the same touch chip as the iPhone and iPod Touch.
    As we all know the iPhone and iPod can have as many fingers as you would like on the screen, without limits as far as I know. (Drumpad)

If they told the truth about the chip in the MBP and Air, implementing the 4finger gestures should be easy.

I sure hope they add them. :)

17. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

18. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I'm sure that there will be some type of third part thing. I'm reminded of multi-clutch.

Perhaps...

This is my first time dealing with the fact that my 4 month old, $2,500 laptop is now out of date. I'm not complaining. Just dealing with it.

19. Logos327 macrumors 6502

In a design sense, yeah it is out of date, but in a computing sense it is still leaps and bounds over 90% of the population. Don't be too discouraged :)

20. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I don't even think the design is backwards. It does look a lot like some of the others out there, but that's not a big deal.

The black bordered screen bothers me a bit, but i guess once I see the new MBPs, I won't have that feeling. I would have liked a graphics card that isn't doomed, but I plan on pushing it and seeing if anything bad happens. (A few games and such.)

Four finger touch would have been cool; but it's not the end all, be all.

21. azharc macrumors member

Next up add Genius to the 'old' iPod classic Apple. Seriously, that's just rude not to.

22. Logos327 macrumors 6502

I meant the design is technically outdated as Apple has updated it. That is the old version this is the new kind of thinking. This doesn't take into account personal preferences, but I a glad you realize that is not a big deal. I am sure plenty of people are flipping out because their's doesn't look like the newest one (not caring at all about the insides).

23. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I know for a fact that this track pad can support 4 fingers, so it's clearly a software issue.

It makes you wonder if this has more to do with Apple wanting more money more often than ensuring customer satisfaction. There is nothing wrong with that, as Apple is a company. I just thought things might have been a little different...

24. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Furrybeagle

Ah... nope! When the first MacBook Pros introduced using two fingers to right click, PowerBook users who had capable trackpads didn’t get the feature until LEOPARD.

Hopefully this time it won’t take almost 2 years for Snow Leopard to come out, like it did for Leopard to come out.