So do I HAVE to to go an AT&T store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrat93, Jul 8, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

My dad is a business customer. Does both him AND me have to go to an AT&T store to get a business discount?

2. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

You don't have to, You can buy your iPhone at the Apple store and go through that whole process, and then go to an AT&T store later. I'm in the same situation and that is what I am doing.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

One is right.
    One is wrong.

Any other answers? My dad talked to an AT&T rep last weekend and they said he could do it online. However, that was before all of these new details were available.

4. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

5. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Business customer... as in uses a FAN # to get a discount? No, you don't need to go to an AT&T store. You can either call AT&T or use their online service to provide the FAN # for the discount. When they say business users must go to AT&T, they're talking about people who are getting set up on business/enterprise plans and are using a corporate account to buy multiple iPhones for business use.

I have a personal account with AT&T and just applied my FAN # from my company the other day... I'm still very much a personal customer.

EDIT: I just spoke with our corporate contact at AT&T and while she verified that having applied an FAN# to my account does not classify me as a business customer, that I do HAVE to purchase the handset at an AT&T store... so there you have it, straight from AT&T Corporate. Apologies for the incorrect info above. Anyone currently receiving a discount on their plan due to an FAN# is going to want to know this, or you risk waiting however many hours for nothing at an Apple store.

6. Feverish Flux macrumors regular

Any business customers have to go to the AT&T Store.

7. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Well I asked someone who works at an AT&T store and they said that you could go to the Apple store and activate it there and then come back to an AT&T store and activate the Corporate discount there....

Still a bit confused, are you just activating a FAN number?

EDIT: I still don't know, I'm waiting at an Apple store, and if AT&T says "No", then oh well...

8. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

Read this page, it has been pretty much covered.. And from the looks of it, if your corporate company is paying for the iPhone and the plan THEN you have to go to an AT&T store, but if you just are going to apply a FAN # later on you can do that by going to the store.

9. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Well I am on a family plan. The main # has the discount on it not mine so I am in the clear I guess. I really don't care where I buy it.
    I just want the best availabilty. So I want to go to the apple store.

10. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Here is the response that I received from our contact at AT&T (this is not a random person, I've had communication with her in the past).

"Applying the FAN does not classify you as a business customer. You're still a personally liable account, but your company association provides the discount. Our company direction does state that as an Individual Liable user receiving the discount plan that you need to purchase in an AT&T retail store."

Her title is 'Global Account Executive'. So, take that for what you will. It would suck for anyone who waits in line at Apple and can't upgrade. I'd say to be safe, hit AT&T. I've asked her again for clarification and will post when I hear back from her.

11. Magico macrumors newbie

This was posted in another thread

Business customers are categorized as anyone who has a portion (or all of) their wireless bill paid for by their employer, or receives discounts on their mobile phone by working for their employer.

If you work for a company and pay for your own phone for personal use and are entitled to get a discount you would need to go to a AT&T store.

12. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not sure I buy this. A friend of mine works for LG and gets a discount on his personal cell phone. He does not have a business plan. Nor does he have an iPhone (I'm not sure if that makes a difference).

13. Magico macrumors newbie

I am not talking about a business plan.

Here is how I was told it will work. I work for an insurance company and because of my companies association with AT&T we get 15% off the service plan. I will be buying the IPhone for my personal use and nothing to do with my job. I will be signed up for the 450 Minutes (Nation) plan for $39.99 a month and the Personal Data Plan for $30.00 in which my discount will be about $10.50 off the total $69.99. If I was to access my company email, intranet or business applications then I would need to take the Enterprise data plan for $45.

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Breaking News: You must go to Sprint store to activate the new iPhone.

15. Glax69 macrumors member

What about STUDENT discount----Yes I have a FAN#, but I'm not working for UNC.. I'd much rather go to the apple store so maybe I'll call ATT tomorrow and have them remove it for the day...